Gold Price Discussion

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Makes sense
I asked here as I know there are some smart investors on the forum.
I don't trust investment advisors after some previous bad advice so just gathering info.

Will leave my super intact for npow.
Thanks

I have had a go at a number of different investments over the years, i do run my own Super fund.
I have timed both gold and equity investments to my advantage, made 117% pre tax on one of the Stocks i invested in over three months. Made around 20% gain on gold bullion buy buying low and selling high. Also had one stock that was recommended by a so called expert fall by 33% in 4 months.
I always liked NST as a gold company buying in at $1.27 a few years back and its now worth $13.27. Last 18 months have made 20% gain on investing in the ASX 200 index ETF fund, buy buying in at 3 major dips.

From experience and research it is best to spread your investments over many different asset classes.

Equities ( Shares )
Property
Precious Metals

Some people call Cash / Bonds an asset class for investing? In the low interest rate environment savers in cash are loosing after inflation and tax?

Cryptos? Have never speculated in as seems to be overvalued and high risk proposition in my opinion?

Collectables, can be rare coins, artwork etc?
Have a rare Australian Coin that grows by 5% pa which is way better than cash in the bank.
Have in invested in an Argyle Diamond.

I would not invest all my funds in one single asset. It is hard to time perfect entry in buying.

For the most part you need to think long term. Seen an informative article stating that Gold is a multi decade investment.
You would taking on significant risk buying gold now and expecting $3000AUD an ounce by end of 2020. May happen but possibly not. 8.(

I know this isn't about gold but I just noticed that the Rhodium price in USD is up to about $3600oz, considering it was down around $800oz 2 years ago..... I was going to buy some at $1200 AUD per oz back then but thought it was too expensive doh..... 1oz from KJC bullion now will now set you back $6502 AUD per oz....

Double doh.. :(

Rhodium has been over $US10,000 per oz in the past (2008), then dropped to $US200 per ounce. A brave person who speculates on a metal that varies by 50x in just a few years. It is not like gold and silver, its price varies entirely with demand and supply. Supply has not varied much in a decade (around 770,000 ounces, which is miniscule). It looks to be about 792,000 oz in 2019, so there is no less available than usual. There are no mines that produce rhodium as the dominant commodity - it is a trace metal in nickel and platinum ores, so its output is related to production of these metals. Its main use is in automobile catalytic convertors (85%), and new regulations will keep the price up until electric cars start to take major market share. More than half of the production comes from recycling (eg catalytic convertors) as with other platinum group metals. Since there is no decrease in production and only modest increase in demand, it is more likely speculators withholding supplies to force the price up. This is easy to do with a metal that has a small annual demand and no dedicated mines of its own (increase rhodium mine production and you have to do the same with nickel and other platinum metals, crashing their price).

Hey GR I read an article at the time (around 2016) that Rhodium was cheap enough that high end car manufacturers were going back to using a higher percentage rhodium alloy in their catalytic converters. After the price hit 10k per oz, err well probably way before it did they developed other alloys with far less rhodium due to the price and opted for higher percentage platinum and palladium alloys instead, though they say higher percentage rhodium is a far superior catalyst. Was an interesting article and I thought there and then that the price would certainly go up.

I tried to find the article to link here but couldn't find it.

I was just going to buy a few oz's more from a collection/curiosity perspective than a speculative one, anyway wish I did, 20/20 hindsight.

Heatho said:
Hey GR I read an article at the time (around 2016) that Rhodium was cheap enough that high end car manufacturers were going back to using a higher percentage rhodium alloy in their catalytic converters. After the price hit 10k per oz, err well probably way before it did they developed other alloys with far less rhodium due to the price and opted for higher percentage platinum and palladium alloys instead, though they say higher percentage rhodium is a far superior catalyst. Was an interesting article and I thought there and then that the price would certainly go up.

I tried to find the article to link here but couldn't find it.

I was just going to buy a few oz's more from a collection/curiosity perspective than a speculative one, anyway wish I did, 20/20 hindsight.
Not surprising, given the tiny annual supply - as soon as they switched it probably rapidly became expensive and in short supply.

Hi all! First post....:)

The rate at which the spot price of gold has increased in the last 12 months is quite remarkable. As each day passes especially with the US and China having verbal spats at each other in their trade war........the issues in the south China sea......and then we throw in the basket case that is the Middle East......so, to me, Gold is looking like a more reliable investment. Just looking at the Perth Mint website, the price of gold in 2017 was just shy of $1700......cast your mind to back then, would you have thought that at roughly the same time in 2019 that the price has already breached the $2200 mark......that's a 29% increase in just 2 years.

Pickles 1975 said:
Hi all! First post....:)

The rate at which the spot price of gold has increased in the last 12 months is quite remarkable. As each day passes especially with the US and China having verbal spats at each other in their trade war........the issues in the south China sea......and then we throw in the basket case that is the Middle East......so, to me, Gold is looking like a more reliable investment. Just looking at the Perth Mint website, the price of gold in 2017 was just shy of $1700......cast your mind to back then, would you have thought that at roughly the same time in 2019 that the price has already breached the $2200 mark......that's a 29% increase in just 2 years.
It might be a good idea to read everyone's past posts here. Gold price is set in US$ not $A - much of the change you see at present is our dollar devaluing against the $US, with only a modest real increase in the price of gold. The gold price has been around $US1,250 for 7 years now, but is presently around $US 1,500, so it is climbing a bit. But beware that it is not so much an investment that you would be making as speculation, and that would be mostly speculation on the $A value relative to the $US. I suspect the $A will keep going down, and that the gold price will continue to climb a bit in $US, so there is almost certainly still room for some profit to be made - although 3 years ago would have been a better time to buy.
1566598981_gold_price_aug_2019.jpg

Gold has the additional advantage of giving some security in these difficult economic times.

Hi All,

I posted this professional service providers recommendation re gold some weeks earlier.

The US Gold Market has played out according to their analysis..

You might like to go to www.elliottwave.com to view a 'no cost no sign up free week' of their stock market publications usually only available by subscription.

Both the Elliott Wave Financial Forecast plus their Elliott Wave Theorist explains the Gold Market in detail according to Elliott Wave Theory.

This link will close within days.

Cheers
stevewilko

stevewilko said:
Hi All,

I posted this professional service providers recommendation re gold some weeks earlier.

The US Gold Market has played out according to their analysis..

You might like to go to www.elliottwave.com to view a 'no cost no sign up free week' of their stock market publications usually only available by subscription.

Both the Elliott Wave Financial Forecast plus their Elliott Wave Theorist explains the Gold Market in detail according to Elliott Wave Theory.

This link will close within days.

Cheers
stevewilko
I honestly do not think that one had to have any complicated theory to know that the world has major economic problems for some tome (so that gold would rise) and that the Australian dollar would fall relative to the American dollar (the Australian government has wanted this for ages). :(

Keep in mind that the gold price has only gone up 17% in more than 6 years, prior to which it was in major decline for about 3 years (not all that brilliant). However I expect we will see more real climb in gold for a while.

Swinging & digging said:
17% in 6 years, thats 2.83% pa.
Yes, in simple interest terms (less in the more normal compound interest). And over then full 9 years it would be a loss of 21%. Like any speculative investment, timing is everything.

Lovin it atm :)
Still I great time to buy gold but its getting tight...
Silver has been awesome and I think it will continue...
We along with the USA are heading for a recession in the not to distant future....
make hay while the sun shines :)

Either way 1% in the bank isn't doing much.....
If want a few shares and looking for a 10 yr investment....
Gotta love pot atm,,,, will be legal in 10 yrs....
Medical starting now
Might be my first look into shares

goldierocks said:
Swinging & digging said:
Yes, in simple interest terms (less in the more normal compound interest). And over then full 9 years it would be a loss of 21%. Like any speculative investment, timing is everything.

You would think Gold could be a bit expensive atm? Record High in AUD, did drop very quick in August 2011.

Swinging & digging said:
goldierocks said:
Swinging & digging said:

You would think Gold could be a bit expensive atm? Record High in AUD, did drop very quick in August 2011.
Two different issues - that was due to a real drop in the gold price (both in its price - which is quoted in $US - and in Australian dollars simply as a result, simply due to currency conversion). I reckon it is probably good for a bit more rise, but don't take that as advice.

Latest posts