Kid friendly fossicking in VIC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All,

I started fossicking last year and my middle kid whos 8 has really shown a keen interest, he's even got his friends at school fossicking in the playground at lunchtimes. Would you believe it he's found quartz and pyrite in the crushed rocks that were put down in the playground recently.

Anyway, I would really love to take him away for the weekend and have someone on one time with him over some fossicking, I am not really sure on any exact locations that could be kid-friendly as all the places I've been aren't really suitable.

We live 10km to the east of the City and are prepared to drive up to 3 hours for a good spot, thank you all in advance for any advice you can provide.

Many Thanks

Martin

Awesome thanks Marauder, Just gave them a call and booked in for Sunday :) Will update you after with any interesting finds :Y:

I found the best way to fid the ones with good olivine in them was by the shape. once you've got your eye in on the shapes, like big potatos you'll find them easy.

Also look around cos you can find calcite crystals too, but hey are harder to find.

Good luck! Take a box with you to take some home in, and a hammer and some safety glasses!

What an amazing weekend, my boy even said it was the best day ever. Thank you for the recommendation
1567503233_img_2890.jpg

1567503233_img_2889.jpg

1567503233_img_2877.jpg
!

What a great collection! It sounds like you have a budding young Geologist there, Moocha! :)

Cheers,
Megsy

Moocha said:
Hey All,

I started fossicking last year and my middle kid whos 8 has really shown a keen interest, he's even got his friends at school fossicking in the playground at lunchtimes. Would you believe it he's found quartz and pyrite in the crushed rocks that were put down in the playground recently.

Anyway, I would really love to take him away for the weekend and have someone on one time with him over some fossicking, I am not really sure on any exact locations that could be kid-friendly as all the places I've been aren't really suitable.

We live 10km to the east of the City and are prepared to drive up to 3 hours for a good spot, thank you all in advance for any advice you can provide.

Many Thanks

Martin

Ha Martin. Misery creek at Enfield is ok for kids. Only along the creek. But ever where else. Theres very deep mine shafts. I would not walk in the dark. Some have no heaps around them and go down 300 feet. Your not coming back after falling in those ones.

Thanks, Megsy great hobby and very affordable :)

Thank you Ward looks like Enfield next then :)

Camping , toilets, walking tracks. Gold panning, detectoring, Bush. Wildlife.