chinchilla...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi girls n guys...in chinchilla for a coupla days...wondering if someone can point me into a good direction to find some nice petrified wood...
...i have read about baking board road and green swamp road...and going for a look along creeks...grader runoffs and just on the sides of the road ect...
and what sort of ground to scope out ??...do i look where there is the white chalky ground...or the red nuggetty ground ...???
...and yes...I do know that you can go to the info centre in town and go to the approved gpa's...I will be leaving that as a last resort as Ive had enough of digging holes as from late....my back aint doing too good.. :argh: ..and i just relised this is the 1st time ive asked for major help....jeez .any spicks or spats will be appreciated...or pm me ??....in advance... thanks ...dave...

Got heaps....nice red and yellow stuff..some nice bigger bits.. half kilo... quite easy to find once you get your eye in... :cool:

So we are going up to Innisfail to stay for bout 6 months...
On the way there we'll be stopping back at Chinchilla for a few days...then stay at springsure for a day or so...does anyone know where to look for labrodite there...???...then slowly up to Innisfail... maybe another stop between springsure and Innisfail...any little tips are always appreciated... thanks Dave :cool:

Gassman, go to the Mitre10 store in Springsure and there is a bloke there who will gladly relieve you of a few dollars ($10 I think) in return for a mud map of the labradorite site. The fee goes towards a weed eradication program in the area a worthy cause.

Jeff

We will be leaving in a coupla days...i will put up pics and info about it if anyone is interested...??? :cool:

So a 5 hour fossicking trip outside of Chinchilla... large amount of nice bits of petrified wood..... lots of worn Jasper... River worn polished rock... perhaps a Saffire...but it's orange.....???....and a funny little bit that looks like Opal... when wet it has red ..blue green sparkle through it....???.... could spend days out here speckling.... but tomorrow going to springsure...more looking around....tips and advice on area would be great.... put pics up later when i got my act together...
Had a few lemonades this evening.... :cool: .. Dave

few hrs today at springsure looking for labradite ....i didnt go too well...some bits but mostly little bits of clear stuff...alot of shards of it there...also 3 other groups out there...some got bugger all...but they weren't digging....so i will go out n have another go in the morning tommorro...a different little area..different plan of attack...LOL... :argh: :argh: .....dave.....

another go at springsure....not much for my efforts...did a speck on sides of the road...picked up bits n pieces...coupla strange bits ??
....now at nebo....having a look here too....then slowly up to innisfail...any one know of spots in between?????...pics will come,,,dave... :cool:

ok...some pics from chinchilla...first is a pic from a walk up baking board road..my shopping bag further down...you need to take a bag...2 is better
1566548719_yhe_nroad.jpg

some of the petrified wood i decided to keep,,,probably a qtr of it...note that in the next 3 pics all the stone are wet...
1566548937_overall_pic.jpg

a close up of some bits....
1566548991_close_up_1.jpg

1566549018_close_up_2.jpg

....so you can find some nice stuff...but I find that if you are not selective you will be taking alot home....bring bags...
...just look off to the side of the road..and in the big grader berms..in the little gullies...also you can look alongside of greenswamp road after you pass charley creek...
...this is before you get to baking board...no spelling mistakes i hope. :cool: ..dave...

onto springsure...so go to mitre 10 store in town and pay $5 per car per day. I bought 2 days...get your map n off you go..its about 40 klicks out of town...pic of the fossiking site taken from the side of the road so you dont have to walk that far...
1566615525_digging_area.jpg

pics of Labradorite I found...
1566615795_lab.jpg

1566615830_lab2.jpg

...as you can see nothing spectacular for me..lots of little bits...the one bigger bit of yello [top LH corner ] was picked up from side of the road late in the arvo..
...probably been run over a coupla times as its crusty...so just in one spot I picked up this..
1566616381_dunno.jpg

1566616411_dunno2.jpg

....I dont know what this is...it too,had been run over..lots of cracks thru it..also a piece of petrified something in the rear...
....I may have come away a bit dissapointed, but not as much as some of the other people who were there expecting just to walk around n pick it up...
...so take your pick,shovel and sieve...It was fun tho, Nebo next...

Yep.... bypassed the sapphires this time...my back is stuffed so I was going for the easier pickings.. :cool:

then up to nebo...
1566792548_nebo.jpg

looking for fossils....stumbled upon a good patch...
1566792625_ground.jpg

pics of some....excuse mistakes as im not very good at the spelling...ID... ect...
...1st is fenestella sp..... bryozoan.. these are the 2 darker rocks... not supposed to find this here i am told..all of these age at 485 to 227 million yrs old...ordovician to upper triassic period...???
1566793431_1q.jpg

next is 2 marine fossils...some form of brachiopods at the top...we dont know what caused the wavy bit...???
1566794125_1e.jpg

...spirifers....another type of brachiopod plus more fenestella
1566795105_1r.jpg

last up is a species of pelecypod...
1566795382_ppo.jpg

....plus a coupla other things..I hope I got all that right...I needed alot of help with ID..now in innisfail...not much gold or fossicking close by...

Latest posts