Minelab SDC2300 or GPX4000 / GPX4500 / GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with mxt. I have a 5000 but would be equally happy with the 4500. The GPX series can be difficult to master if you want the optimum performance under ALL conditions, BUT you can switch it on and start detecting immediately if you leave everything in the factory default setting. Lately I have been getting a lot of sub grammar nuggets down to about .03 grams in shallow depths just like an SDC does. Did I miss any that an SDC would have picked up? Maybe, but we are talking about tiny, tiny nuggets and very faint targets.

Waterproofness would be nice once in a blue moon for me, but I'm quite happy with the 5K.

Just remember that whatever machine you buy, you will need to spend time getting to know all of the sounds and to do that you will dig up a lot of junk and even empty holes because of ground noises.

I have both the GPX5000 and the SDC, they are very different detectors to do very different jobs. The SDC will find small gold, especially porous reef gold, where the 5000 might not. They both have pros and cons and they will largely depend on what you want to do with the detector. Although there are other reasons, my simple opinion is;

• If you want to concentrate on diggings and mullock heaps for small gold - SDC2300 (easier to learn)[/*]
  • If you want more versatility to look for bigger deeper gold - GPX4500 (while it is available) or GPX5000.[/*]

A small 8" coil on the 4500 will find small gold, a larger 15" coil will go deeper and find bigger targets. (takes time and effort to learn)

The SDC2300 and the GPX4500 are roughly the same price to buy (at the moment). I bought the 5000 and 3 years later the 2300, knowing what I know now, I might have done it the other way around had the 2300 been available at the time.

You will definitely find more bits of gold and fairly quickly with the 2300, albeit, small stuff. I've met some out there that go weeks, if not months using the GPX and not find any gold. It's not detector error it's the person using it :)

Booney said:
Hi Nicknick The answer to all your questions is yes but without a doubt the sdc is the easiest machine to start with for gold . There are better detector for the beach but the sdc does have a salt mode and is waterproof . Personally would take my gpx or sdc to the beach but they are both great gold machines and its great having both . They do different jobs and its horses for courses. Id start with sdc save up for a gpx then get a nox for the beach just my opinion. Cheers Booney

Thabks @Booney
You wouldnt or you would take your GPX or SDC to the beach?
I get the SDC is primarily a gold finder, is the GPX in the same boat or could it be used for relics also?

mxt sniper said:
GPX 4500 is a bargain while it lasts, gonna be discontinued soon, add a couple flat wire wrapped coils like Evolution 12x8 or 14x9 and elite 14" round solid, or 13x17 evo and your good to go for yrs.

Thanks @mxt sniper
Why are they getting discontinued? Would you say the 4500 is better value for money over the 5000?

Anolphart said:
I agree with mxt. I have a 5000 but would be equally happy with the 4500. The GPX series can be difficult to master if you want the optimum performance under ALL conditions, BUT you can switch it on and start detecting immediately if you leave everything in the factory default setting. Lately I have been getting a lot of sub grammar nuggets down to about .03 grams in shallow depths just like an SDC does. Did I miss any that an SDC would have picked up? Maybe, but we are talking about tiny, tiny nuggets and very faint targets.

Waterproofness would be nice once in a blue moon for me, but I'm quite happy with the 5K.

Just remember that whatever machine you buy, you will need to spend time getting to know all of the sounds and to do that you will dig up a lot of junk and even empty holes because of ground noises.

Thanks @Anolphart
I take it the 5000 isnt waterproof? Even if it was just rain proof that would be a plus. I think my primary use would be the GT over the beach so not a deal breaker

condor22 said:
I have both the GPX5000 and the SDC, they are very different detectors to do very different jobs. The SDC will find small gold, especially porous reef gold, where the 5000 might not. They both have pros and cons and they will largely depend on what you want to do with the detector. Although there are other reasons, my simple opinion is;

• If you want to concentrate on diggings and mullock heaps for small gold - SDC2300 (easier to learn)[/*]
  • If you want more versatility to look for bigger deeper gold - GPX4500 (while it is available) or GPX5000.[/*]

A small 8" coil on the 4500 will find small gold, a larger 15" coil will go deeper and find bigger targets. (takes time and effort to learn)

The SDC2300 and the GPX4500 are roughly the same price to buy (at the moment). I bought the 5000 and 3 years later the 2300, knowing what I know now, I might have done it the other way around had the 2300 been available at the time.

You will definitely find more bits of gold and fairly quickly with the 2300, albeit, small stuff. I've met some out there that go weeks, if not months using the GPX and not find any gold. It's not detector error it's the person using it :)

Cheers @condor22
I actally thought i would have better luck with the GPX arounf the GT as all the shallow stuff is likley taken with so many prispecting the area in the past. Interesting.

I have heard this quoted befor, that the fault is inbthe user not the detctor... how do they get it so wrong and other do it so right? what would you say is the most common mistake these people make is? Likewise what are others doing that makes more successful?

Thabks again every one for all the responses. Very much appreciated :beer:

Nick.

PS. Appologies for my fat fingers and terrible spelling

Nick, From my observations, the biggest mistake I've witnessed is not adhering to the important phrase; "Low n Slow" :) Applies to any gold detecting on my opinion.

With the GPX (4500 or 5000), for a new user, using factory presets is a great place to start. Once you get used to the detector and what each mode, timing, speed and sound etc setting does, you can then start to vary these settings to the ground and other conditions that affect the detector.

The other important words I can offer are; "patience and persistence"

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback - could anyone recommend the best place to buy the 4500 new before it stops being manufactured?

@mxtsniper you mentioned there might be bargains around?

even recommendations for purchase of second-hand models would be of interest.

Thanks again guys.

Nick.

Whilst shopping for the deal,don't forget that a few bucks saved soon loses it's appeal when the seller offers little help when something goes aniss :poop:
Have dealt with nearly all minelab dealers in Australia and as of yet not found one that offers the after sales service along with qualified product knowledge as that of Phase Technical :Y: Have certainly found many that fail miserably in this regard but :N:
Making gold service the first gold of your quest :trophy:

Hi,
I am after a few tips on what should I buy? A second hand GPX5000 (3 years old), or a New SDC2300? I am fairly new to gold detecting, but have been relic hunting. So can someone point me in the right direction as I cant make up my mind?

These are two very different tools, both of which can produce good results for their users. There is no single "right direction" answer though, just a bunch of individual personal opinions and use cases. You're the only one who actually has a clue about where you will go and what you hope to achieve.

Hi Gd, To me it gets down to a number of things, Your detecting location eg Tibooburra, small gold 2300 would be best, WA either, know of a 2300 that found good gold in May and June, I think most gold left in WA is small eg around Hawks Nest out from Laverton. Ditto in Vic's Golden Triangle, but the type of coil on the 5000 can also be a game changer.

Your age can determine the best choice, have dug deep holes in Vic for gold and lots and lots of rubbish, by an large the 2300 won't find deep gold but lots of small stuff and gun shot pellets ( lots of them, but they could be small gold, dig to find out) Mate with a 4500 is happy that his detector does not find many pellets, because of his bad back and knees, but knows that he is missing small gold.

And as for buying new, I recently sold SWMBO's 2300 for $2900 a great detector (with extras), so suggest that buying new is not needed, and I think the value of the 2300 new and a 5000 will only reduce in time. I suggest you put the extra $ into a GPX6000 and you will not look back.

PeterInSa-

Thank you for your guide and I would like to go to a 6 or 7000, but age and cash is what I have to deal with. I am looking at a 5000 second hand still has warranty or a New 2300.
I just cant make up my mind.

Gypsyd

Gypsyd, I too find myself asking the same/similar question but a 4500 as well as a 5000 and 2300.

I went into Minders Den Bendigo yesterday, spoke to one of the gents there and told him i'm a new player. I asked about the 4500/5000 and he said they are good, but would still push me towards the sdc2300. I asked why, and he said it was simple to use, water proof and great for small gold. The GPX4500/5000 would be a larger learning curve he said.

I am still not sure like yourself but thats my 2c worth if that helps!

Prom2307

Yep it is a big if or but as I dont want to have to buy again I am too old what are your thoughts the SD2300 are on special at the moment .Enticing

Well its over I just brought a SDC2300 NEW on Special #950 I now have to see what is a Good Coil bigger to make more ground covered so any suggestions I would grateful any info/

Latest posts