Steel Phase Amplifier

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Pat, is there any real disadvantage in having mono headphones as apposed to stereo with the spo1 since the machines input is in mono anyway? I use ss300's that are mono.

Jarrod.

The way I explain it is;

In true stereo, there are 2 channels of output, the audio to each ear can be different depending on the mix, i.e. music.

The output of a detector has 1 channel of output (mono). In the instance of 1 speaker the output goes to that 1 speaker. In the instance of headphones or earbuds, that 1 channel of output is split equally between the left and right ear and is not true stereo. It is purely the way it is wired.

The primary reason for the different wiring in metal detectors, in particular the GPX series, is that stereo wiring i.e. headphones, will not trigger the audio amp within the GPX battery box. Whereas, mono wiring will trigger the amp i.e. speaker/s.

The output of a SDC has no switchable amplifier. Plug in headphones and you get a mono response to each ear. Plug in a speaker and the output is still mono, but barely audible due to the lack of audio amplification. In other words, not enough juice to drive a speaker. Hence the reason, those that use speakers on the SDC, run one with a built in battery operated amplifier, B&Z or other booster and indeed the Steel Phase SP01.

I have a B&Z I used to run on the 5000, I tried it on the SDC, getting a background hum and "crappy" result. Which is why after borrowing a mates SP01, I bought my own.

I'm confident that Pat will agree, wether phones are stereo or mono will make no difference with the SP01 other than which mode switch you use. What may make the difference is the impedance of the phones, notwithstanding quality.

I've tried earbuds, the Koss GPX phones, SDC Koss phones and the Deteknix wireless. With my hearing, I can't discern enough difference to matter. So to allow me not to be connected by wire to the SDC, I stick with wireless. BTW my patch leads are all mono wired, as I don't want to trigger the 5000 amp if using the SP01 with the GPX.

Jarrod84 said:
Hello Pat, is there any real disadvantage in having mono headphones as apposed to stereo with the spo1 since the machines input is in mono anyway? I use ss300's that are mono.

Jarrod.

There is a difference. Hard to explain but signals are more 'present' in stereo and the brain perceives them much more easily. Bit like the old boom boxes that had that 'enhanced stereo' feature.
Those that run stereo headphones will certainly notice a difference when switching between mode one and two.

steelPHASE said:
Gold Passion said:
Thanks Rav59 I didn't notice that it's a mono lead until you said so, it's my first time buying it. I don't know why Phase Tech should put a mono Jack instead of stereo lead, so that it makes it easier for people with stereo headphones and speakers, then those with mono will just switch to mode 1. I have tested my new duel stereo speakers and headphones on mode 2 and no sound is coming out but only on mode 1. I believe that's the reason of that mono lead supplied with the Steelphase SP01. I ordered a high quality stereo lead from a reputable company, and waiting for the delivery today. I will post when I test them together. I hope Steelphase or Pat will comment on why they put a mono lead. :/

The input lead needs to be mono. Its only the output you need to be concerned with.

Generally dual speakers for detecting are wired in mono even though they use a stereo plug (this is to trigger an amp in the GPX battery). Even some headphones (including the standard SS300) have a stereo plug but are still wired in mono. If your headphones only work in mode 1 then they are wired in mono (even if they have a stereo plug).

You need either true stereo headphones or duel speakers wired in stereo to enable mode 2.

The back page of the instruction booklet shows you the wiring configurations needed.

Thank you SteelPhase for clarifying that, I understand now. When I saw the GME duel speakers on your website I didn't realise that they are actually modified from the original GME speaker wiring. It's only now I looked closely, I bought mine from another retailer which are as they come from the manufacturer. I have something to ask when I turn my SP01 volume nobe to completely 0 i hear a sound like ssshhhhh behind the threshold and also it happens when the It's turned completely to 10. Only in between 1 to 9 the sound is fairly audible. I heard this through my headphones and speakers too. What could this be and is it a normal thing. Does anyone here on the forum hear the same thing as mine?

i tried the stereo ss330s with sp01 yesterday with a cheap stereo lead off ebay, no response in mode 1 or 2. that might be my problem but also as Pat says the headphones
might be labelled stereo but might be mono. how do i check headphones and lead are stereo?

Plug a set of headphones into a stereo output (CD/Radio/MP3 etc i.e. music) that has a balance control and fade to left and then right. If the sound disappears from one ear then the other, they are stereo headphones. If fading left to right or vice versa you still hear output to both ears, the odds are the phones are wired to mono.

The other way is to check the way they are wired, but as most are moulded connections, that becomes problematic.

Regardless, the phones should work in at least one of Mode 1 or 2 on the SP01, so the issue may be the patch lead etc.

Is this maybe sold as a kit with good headphones, adaptor lead for the sdc2300 and the amp?
I'd be keen for a blue tooth version so I can not worry about a cable

Pat also provides cables of different lengths. I bought the next length up from the one that comes with the sP01 so that I can put my detector down out of the way and start digging with the pick. When I want to check for the target signal again I just lean across and pick up the detector. While swinging I just loop it across my arm out of the way so that it doesn't get snagged on any brush or branches. :Y:

Perth Tim said:
Is this maybe sold as a kit with good headphones, adaptor lead for the sdc2300 and the amp?

We do a SDC kit which comes with the sP01 and the adapter cable. This pairs well with our Pro Series headphones (due back in stock in around 3 weeks).

If you want to go wireless, then I highly recommend the Quest wireless unit. These work well with the sP01.

regards Pat

Perth Tim said:

Adaptor Lead > SteelPhase > Quest Transmitter Mounted on the SDC, then to the Quest WireFree Headphones works very well.

See here for prices: http://phasetechnical.com.au/product-category/audio-2/
Happy to work out a bundle price for you.

Cheers, Nenad

Hi Nenad,

In your opinion does a Stereo headset have an advantage over a mono setup ?

Cheers

Thanks Jaros but is the sound overall better or does Stereo have an advantage over Mono sound.

Cheers

Great thanks for clarifying that Pat :Y: , I have two mono leads so will ask Nenad to make up a Stereo one for me.

Cheers

Gravity said:
Great thanks for clarifying that Pat :Y: , I have two mono leads so will ask Nenad to make up a Stereo one for me.

Cheers

Its not the input lead that needs to be stereo. Its only the headphones. The input lead for the sP01 will always be mono.

regards
Pat

Thanks Pat just a little confused about it all, if I were to plugin stereo headphones directly into the 5000 it would activate the built in amp...
So if I'm plugging in a mono lead into the 5000 to the sP01 how does the 5000 recognize that it should activate the stereo amp, I was under the impression that a stereo plug would go from the 5000 into the sP01 or do I have this all wrong ???

Cheers
John

No if you plug stereo headphones into your GPX battery it won't activate the inbuilt amp.
To activate the inbuilt amp you must use a stereo (TRS - tip/ring/sleeve) plug wired to the tip & ring only. It is recommended that you only wire external speaker plugs like this & not headphones.

You do not want to activate the inbuilt amp if you are using an external amp/booster/enhancer or you will basically have an amp running into an amp which will likely cause issues. A mono (TS - tip/sleeve) lead won't activate the inbuilt amp as the battery will sense a sleeve connection.

Latest posts