Warwick Qld. information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldinbrisbane said:
Just don't always go to Warwick thinking you will find nuggets took me 18 months before my first nugget now I've got 7 nuggets there is a lot of fine gold in the dirt I always dig 10kg of dirt and pan it I have now over 3 grams of fine gold flakes there is rich dirt in creeks if you dig

Which creeks are you working if you dont mind me asking?

Webbie_003 I go to the thanes creek prospecting areas plenty of gold there my last trip was on 12 of September ended up with 00,27
I am heading out again tomorrow few hours at Durikai and thanes tomorrow

Hi all
New to all this but got the bug a few weeks ago fossicking for sapphires. Planning to head out to the gold fields around Warwick in a few weeks to fossick with detectors. Any advice for newbies?
Cheers

I was out that way last week and one prospector found lovely 3 grammer while another found 3 grams over the course of the day. Surprising number of fossickers out at the Glendon Camping ground which is ideally located to base yourself from.

Regards
Daniel :pickshovel: :goldpan:

Hey Happygolucky, welcome to the site.

For Warwick, get the fossicking area map from the Qld website (google Qld fossicking areas). Go and have a go at detecting in any of the available areas.

Everyone saying its flogged and cleaned out, can't seem to explain why people are still finding gold out there.

Friends detected over 100 bits of lead last weekend but also got three small nuggets. You gotta walk over it and no way has every piece of ground at Warwick had a detector over it.

I was there last week end and picked up a dozen bullets...means several things (a) my machine is working fine (b) I am hearing targets (c) the ground is still holding targets (d) if someone else detected my bullets and left them there in the ground, they are foolish because they ignored a target.

At Warwick...dig every target!!

Good luck mate and know that it takes time and effort.

cheers
Mike

Hi Newbie
I'm in Leyburn at the moment.
Did you find somewhere.
I found a map yesterday - not far out of town on Canal Creek, but I can't find it again today.
Might go for a drive up Owens Scrub Road

My great grand father invested in and worked a goldmine at BIGHILL at Warwick until the 1910's but it's now a private small rural property. If you search TROVE newspapers there are lots of references to the mine which had shareholders. The surface discovery seems to have been very rich gold in limonite, like in ounces per shovel full but it only seems to have been a small producer as they sank the shafts. An epithermal vein deposit if I read it correctly. The mine consumed all his money which is a salient lesson for those who catch gold fever.
I am sure there will be some sort of elluvial or alluvial placer deposits that eroded from the Bighill reefs over eons.

I have an article I wrote on the mine(s):

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Appendix B.pdf
    243.6 KB · Views: 0
That’s some great research you’ve done there HM. Makes for very interesting reading. Also gets me a little more excited about that area. I had no idea there’d been so much gold found in the Pratten region.
I’ll have to do my own research and see what I can dig up.
Once again, thank you for sharing your research with me.
Regards - Mr Tee

Many thanks from me too as I'm headed off to the Warwick goldfileds shortly and I really appreciate learning the history and of the people who were here in the past as I'm fossicking in the region.
It takes a lot of time and effort to research these areas as I'm beginning to appreciate. The information is in pieces all over the place.

Last edited:
Many thanks from me too as I'm headed off to the Warwick goldfileds shortly and I really appreciate learning the history and of the people who were here in the past as I'm fossicking in the region.
It takes a lot of time and effort to research these areas as I'm beginning to appreciate. The information is in pieces all over the place.
Hi N60,
If you want great sapphires head over to the Inverell area. I did a lot of fossicking in that area and got a lot of great stones. The best was a 38 carat blue sapphire. This was found at Poolbrook, just out of Inverell. Beautiful stone. I still have 122 carats of sapphire left from those good old days, a lot of it chip, but a few over 5 carats, one at 9.
If you follow that creek thru Poolbrook I’m sure you could find a farmer who’d let you on his/her property to fossick in that creek. That’s how we did it back in the day.
Cheers Bud,
Mr Tee

Hi N60,
If you want great sapphires head over to the Inverell area. I did a lot of fossicking in that area and got a lot of great stones. The best was a 38 carat blue sapphire. This was found at Poolbrook, just out of Inverell. Beautiful stone. I still have 122 carats of sapphire left from those good old days, a lot of it chip, but a few over 5 carats, one at 9.
If you follow that creek thru Poolbrook I’m sure you could find a farmer who’d let you on his/her property to fossick in that creek. That’s how we did it back in the day.
Cheers Bud,
Mr Tee
Hi again N60,
found this on a website:

Poolbrook" is private property on Frazers Creek that allows sapphire fossicking. It is open from 9am to 5pm on weekends, NSW school holidays and public holidays. The costs are $14 for adults & $6 for high school aged children - under 12 is free. You need to call the owners on 02-67222781 before going out.

Same place I went to. Was a great place 30 years ago.

Regards
Mr Tee

Hi N60,
Cheers Bud,
Mr Tee
Thank you Mr Tee, I'll give it a try. My Dad was an old time fossicker for many types of gems and took me with him on trips whenever he could.

Latest posts