WHITES TDI PRO OZ

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gals n guys,

Can those that have had experience with these please give me the pros and cons of this detector? It will be used in highly mineralised ground in north east Vic. Im hearing they arent fantastic on the smaller gold?

Thanks all.

Al.

There has been the odd change to the TDI,

Currently we have a TDI SL with the miner john coil in stock.

Cheers.
Lee.

Hi. All. Just picked up a SH pro oz. I had one years ago and had forgotten how good this machine is. The discrim abilities make the TDI. Not possible with any other PI. I do notice though as with every discriminating detector I've ever had it still can't discrim out those pesky little thin flat pieces of iron. It will silence big chunks but not the above bits. Anyone know why this is so????? I've always wondered why this happens with all discrim detectors. I've owned most VLFs too. Same story.???????????????? Just wondered if anybody can shed some light on this anomaly.

ronniecruisin said:
Hi. All. Just picked up a SH pro oz. I had one years ago and had forgotten how good this machine is. The discrim abilities make the TDI. Not possible with any other PI. I do notice though as with every discriminating detector I've ever had it still can't discrim out those pesky little thin flat pieces of iron. It will silence big chunks but not the above bits. Anyone know why this is so????? I've always wondered why this happens with all discrim detectors. I've owned most VLFs too. Same story.???????????????? Just wondered if anybody can shed some light on this anomaly.

To get rid of those Iron bits with a VLF you need a Concentric Coil, for some reason DD's are not as good at discriminating, With a Concentric Coil a VLF will ID Crown Caps and bits of Iron, But Washers and flat bits are a major problem to most VLFs if not all of them regardless of the coil, Some of the older VLF's you could mess with the DISC and cure any GB problems as well as mess with the GB and get rid of most of the Iron problems, But they no longer make machines where the 2 functions can work side by side and as One.

One way to ID Iron with a VLF is in one direction it will give a good tone and from another direction it will give a low tone or Blank it altogether, Or even give you a double blip., Or a double tone one way and a single tone the other way etc.

As for the TDI's on small bits flick the conductivity switch to high and then you might have to play with the ground balance to fine tune them out,

Hi. Ridge Runner. Yes tried the conductivity in high. Trouble is if you do that it knocks out gold which is what Im looking for. Low works for larger iron and nails etc and still picks up gold. Doesn't seem to be a fix methinks. 8.(

ronniecruisin said:
Hi. Ridge Runner. Yes tried the conductivity in high. Trouble is if you do that it knocks out gold which is what Im looking for. Low works for larger iron and nails etc and still picks up gold. Doesn't seem to be a fix methinks. 8.(

Well low normally works for small Gold and tiny bits and High works for silver and copper coins and larger Items, you need to play around with it and then tweak the Ground Balance so it knocks out the unwanted items, One thing to remember with the TDI's is if you off set the GB as long as you hold the Coil level at the same height as you sweep the coil the TDI will settle down and allow you to use the GB as a form of discrimination but you must keep the coil at the same height throughout the sweep.

Set the machine up and set your GB to around 7 or 8 and then set the CON to Low and then wave some targets in front of the coil and Tweak the GB as you go to set how it responds to Targets, Also don't forget to also play with the us control that adjusts the speed of the target frequency, NOT the frequency control knob Ok,

It's been a while since I had mine but I can't remember what Whites call all the controls.

hope that helps,

Hi. Ridge Runner and all. Well. Tried your suggestions ridge runner. No go. The signal given by these flat little rusty pieces is high pitched. In other words a perfect small gold or lead sound. I'm wondering if its the fact they are rusted right through and thin that makes em impossible to eliminate.large lumps of iron? No problem. Gone. Unfortunately there are hundreds of these pesky things. As I said put the switch in high and they disappear. Problem is So does the Gold. What a pain! Every detector I've owned including many VLFs had the same problem. Have never been able to discrim them out without losing gold. As the famous physics professor Julius Sumner Miller used to say in his lectures many years ago...."Why is it so"!!!!!. Very smart man. I'll bet he'd have the answer if he was still around! :playful:

ronniecruisin said:
Hi. Ridge Runner and all. Well. Tried your suggestions ridge runner. No go. The signal given by these flat little rusty pieces is high pitched. In other words a perfect small gold or lead sound. I'm wondering if its the fact they are rusted right through and thin that makes em impossible to eliminate.large lumps of iron? No problem. Gone. Unfortunately there are hundreds of these pesky things. As I said put the switch in high and they disappear. Problem is So does the Gold. What a pain! Every detector I've owned including many VLFs had the same problem. Have never been able to discrim them out without losing gold. As the famous physics professor Julius Sumner Miller used to say in his lectures many years ago...."Why is it so"!!!!!. Very smart man. I'll bet he'd have the answer if he was still around! :playful:

It must be because there conductivity is the same as small gold like you said, Although the TDI's can discriminate it is a little on the crude side, With a VLF and the ridge coil selection you can eliminate most bits of Iron but not all of it, Mine will wipe out Crown caps but the moment I put a DD on then I end up digging them,

You only other choice is if you start finding lots of Iron bits then it's best to move somewhere else unless you have a good VLF handy.

Confuscious say "thou shall dig 50 pieces of iron for 1 piece of gold" :pickshovel: :pickshovel: :pickshovel: :pickshovel: :pickshovel: :pickshovel: :goldnugget: 8.(
on that note, im learning the MXT Pro can knock out a LOT of crap & down to some fairly small bits too, but those tiny tiny bits, well I guess we just have to live with em :awful:

Yes. I've come to the same conclusion. I'm wondering if a different type of coil could maybe help. Do you have any clues on that or am I clutching at straws???????

As RidgeRunner said above, I think the Concentric coils are better than DD on a VLF, until you hit high-min ground, but dont know about the TDI Pro with pulse induction ... DD might work better on it, you need to get 1 of each & experiment ;)

ronniecruisin if your are looking for 'limited' disc with the Tdi Pro, you would do well to go to the White's Metal Detector website and look for the Tdi Field Guide. Not the manual but the Field Guide, it covers different settings etc. There is a video using a Tdi SL, made by White's; demonstrating discrimination techniques online. The basic information is out there. If on the beach or hunting in low mineral areas then I'll have a go at limiting iron targets.

When prospecting I do not disc, the heavy mineralization and the higher ground balance required are one reason. Another is that gold comes in various shaped and sizes, different purity etc, I dig every signal without exception. If its junk then I dig it and go again, maybe it was masking something good?
If looking for small gold then I might run in LOW, with a slightly positive ground balance, giving me improved small gold performance at the cost of large gold performance. It is quiet and hot on the small stuff, matched with the smaller Sadie 8 x 6 or something similar.
Some folks for example may use a DD coil with the Tdi. Friend of mine used a Platypus DD, not my cup of tea, much prefer a mono or folded mono myself. Seems to work better for me.

At the end of the day the Tdi Pro does offer limited disc on iron, by VLF standards it is limited, but under the right conditions it can work reasonably well. That Field Guide and video are food for thought.

All the best,
Karelian

Hi. Karelian. Thank you for the tip. I'll definitely be checking the Whites guide out. I'm assuming the TDI pro oz is the same basic machine as the SL. So the various controls should create the same result.? Thanks again. Regards... Ronnie. ;)

Ronniecruisin controls are basically the same between the Pro and SL, Pro adds fine tune ground balance, SL adds filtered audio for smooth threshold, Pro has more powerful battery system whilst SL owners are always looking to add more.. power. So yes controls should create the same result. All the best with the Pro. Karelian