"Western Creek Gold" - Review.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20xwater said:
Typed this in to google maps, east of Moonie correct?

No mate. Near Forsyth.
1565850444_untitled.jpg

Thanks prooz. Hopefully i can get a piece or two.

What are the tracks like out west of the station?
Waz

From my experience you are going to have a most interesting trip so different to WA with the exception of the Halls Creek region.

The station is about 10000Ha, I think fully boundary fenced. The internal tracks on the station are mainly for fence maintenance so plenty of walking is the order.
And its Steep (with a capital S!) with deep gullies where gold has accumulated. After a couple of days you will find one leg has either lengthened or shortened but they certainly wont be the same!

The camp site and ablutions is very well set up on a large area which has been extensively scraped in the past as part of a still operating alluvial show. The odd bit is still picked up there around the edges.

Unfortunately, when we were there (4 yrs. ago) the station owner, the husband of the camp caretaker plus another were very actively detecting the more productive spots which means much more luck is going to be required. It is not like WA where you can read the geology of the ground, it is as if the whole country had been through a tumble washing machine and all well mixed up. If its any help, red is a ground colour to look for then detect along its contact zones.

There are other nearby stations which allow pay by the day detecting. The attraction for us is the most spectacular nature of the area rather than the potential for much gold. Good luck out there :pickshovel:
mike

Thanks for the info mike. Had a great few days. Only managed 1 piece close to the homestead. Didnt see too much of the country out back. Met a few folk as well.

Hi Wazza78, was good to meet you and your family at Western Creek. The birthday cake worked mate, found a nice little bit that day.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.

I ended up being the only one left in the camp for a few days, pretty quit!

Cheers Prooz

Hey guys, have any of you looked at the gold fields out near ravenswood/ Charters Towers?