Budget gold detectors for central Vic - Am I understanding correctly?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nug

Reaction score
Hello all,

Have been doing lots of reading, but struggling to lock information in. Hoping to use this thread as a place to clarify, confirm and correct my understanding.
Any constructive info, or friendly chat is welcome!

Firstly, I am researching with the intent to purchase a detector for use in central Vic to find gold. This is the main intended purpose. Any other capability is not so important and won't influence a purchase.

VLF detectors:
These seem to be available at cheaper prices and can be very sensitive, detecting tiny pieces of gold, however are a lot less effective in highly mineralised soil.
These seem to be rarely recommended for use in the GT due to the levels of mineralisation.
Q: Are they still effective? Can an experienced, knowledgeable user still make regular finds in this region using one of these?
I would be willing to purchase something like a Goldmonster 1000 (or similar) IF it is practical for purpose, but I hate making bad decisions, so am rather hesitant.

PI detectors:
These seem to start at much higher prices than even good VLF detectors, however are promoted as being much more effective in the soil types where I would be likely to use one.
Many people seem to recommend the SDC2300 to beginners (a new one is significantly beyond my budget).
I have been looking into other options, such as second hand models or other brands. There seems to be some strange things going on between the QED folk and Minelab - just finished reading the T's and C's on that forum...
The QED, brand new, is pricier than I really want to go. Second hand would probably be ideal.
Q: Is there anything else I should be considering in this realm? Is a used GP extreme comparable to a QED? or at least, a smarter option than a VLF machine?
I am not hugely fussed if the machine is tricky to learn to use, this would be half the fun for me, but I don't want to buy a donkey.

Hiring: In the meantime, I am very keen to hire a detector and get out there and use it. While I don't think I will dislike the activity, a sensible thing to do would be to try before I commit.
The only place I have found who hires in the GT is Coiltek Maryborough (thanks HH). I am seriously considering heading there this Sat and grabbing one to swing.
Q: Anyone else hiring? Also, Would appreciate any tips on places to swing, but I understand no one would want to give up their favourite spot.

Finally, is there anything else I am obviously missing?

Thank in advance to all who read and/or reply. I realise this is a wall of text covering things that have been probably covered many times before.

Tim.

I think you've pretty much got it summed up right there Nug.
Good that you are researching it well before taking the plunge.
Almost any PI is going to be your best bet if you are specifically targeting gold in the GT. Keep looking & see what you can find 2nd hand. Older model PI's can occasionally be found for around $1000
I picked up my SD2100 for $750 with extras ... Its a case of looking in the right place at the right time, & keep an eye on the 'for sale' columns on various Forums.

I played with an SDC 2300 for a week then decided on the GM1000 as a starter. My thoughts were that for limited use Id rather park $1k in the closet than $3k.

Having bought the GM I see that it is a great way to get into detecting and learning different patches, before taking it serious with an upgrade. I still have the GM and am learning all the time about the detector and the grounds I detect. I found with the SDC I was digging everything including a lot of scrap but the GM offers the advantage of ferrous/non-ferrous which allows you to make a decision whether to dig or not.

For the GT, the GM is a lot of work but once you understand it and are prepared to take the time to learn it you will find gold. With the SDC you can turn it on and go and it handles mineralisation better. It has better depth than the GM but may not pick up the tiny bits that the GM can. If I could, I would have both.

Thanks guys.

Derka - I absolutely get you about the $. Trying to make a sensible decision and not get too caught up in the excitement of a new interest.
Do you find you hit on enough interesting items to keep it exciting with the GM?
I love being out in the bush, but if I find it getting too tedious, I would probably rather go hiking. Honestly, I am not too bothered digging up the occasional bit of junk. I would rather dig up a bunch of rusty old scrap, than avoid them all but find no gold. Provides some activity and anticipation ;)

If you can actually go out and hire one on the weekend then I think that would be your best bet. Boots on the ground counts for a lot more than just reading forums and differing opinions.
If you hire the gold monster, is there anyone you know that you could go out with that has a PI machine? Just so that you could get a taste of both worlds and that would help with your decision on what you like best. Or if you can hire one of those another weekend then that would be a good idea.
Could save you some money in the long run by not accidentally buying the wrong machine for your preferences

Hi Nug,

The QED can be picked up for less than $1,000 second hand or from $1,850 new. They are becoming rarer to find S/H though as they gain popularity.

Extremely easy to learn with a brilliant manual and instructional vidoes.

HoudiniHarry said:
Hi Nug there is another reason to hire, you may not like detecting.
cheers
hh

Yes, this seems like a wise move.
Will give coiltek a call and see if they have any available for tomorrow.

So, had a play with a GPX5000 on Saturday. Found no gold, but apparently I'm undeterred.
While that machine is so very much outside my budget, I have decided that I should buy SOMETHING.

So, if anyone is interested in selling a used, but good condition QED, I might be interested. Looks like this might be the best bang for buck for use in the GT, but am open other suggestions.

Thanks for all the info guys, while lots is still well over my head, I appreciate the abundance of freely given information on this site!

Tim.

I would hire or go out with someone with a qed to see if it is for you there is some lovers of the qed and some haters don't get caught being told that's the right machine until you give it a go and that's for all machines
some can do your head in and some are simple to use and some are just not worth it

savage bitter said:
I would hire or go out with someone with a qed to see if it is for you there is some lovers of the qed and some haters don't get caught being told that's the right machine until you give it a go and that's for all machines
some can do your head in and some are simple to use and some are just not worth it

Are there any others you would consider competitive with the QED in functionality at a similar price point?
I am not willing to stretch the budget beyond for a hobby I have yet to actually take up. Hell, a QED is more expensive than I was willing to consider when I started researching! Normalising the prices of these things too easily :(

Plenty of VLFs have found and are still finding gold in the Golden Triangle - it comes down to site selection, and operator skill. The guys that are getting gold regularly are using either the Gold Kruzer, Gold Monster and to a lesser extent Whites Goldmasters, Gold Racers, Equinox 800s. But yes, in a lot of areas their depth will be hampered by mineralisation, and/or you will be driven batty by hotrocks. Check out J & C Mining channel on YouTube to see what a VLF is capable of in Vic goldfields.

But yes, if you want to be able to walk around virtually anywhere then you need a PI. Just be aware though that older PI's like the GP series are still good machines, they are just way behind when it comes to small gold sensitivity. If you are hitting areas that have been hit hard with 4500's/5000's and SDC's, there isn't going to be much left.

Hire before you buy is a good way to find out for yourself.

Ooooooorrrr. You could go for a used whites TDI pro oz or SL. All analogue controls. Dead easy to set up. And its the only PI with discrimination tricks up its sleeve that will serve you quite well as a coin hunter. IMHO the best all round value machine for maximum enjoyment made.! :argh:

or, you could try panning and crevacing. - i do plenty of walking/exploring when i go out to do this. $80 for a minelab panning kit. another $30 of tools from bunnings and you are set.

Hello all,

After all the advice and my own research, I went out and bought a QED yesterday.
Bought new, so definitely went over budget, but hopefully I get many years of fun from it.

Went for the smaller coil option (sadie 6x8) so am now on the lookout for a larger coil to supplement. Definitely shopping second hand for that.

Now I just need to find somewhere close by to have a play! The controls will take some getting used to.

Tim.

Nug said:
Hello all,

After all the advice and my own research, I went out and bought a QED yesterday.
Bought new, so definitely went over budget, but hopefully I get many years of fun from it.

Went for the smaller coil option (sadie 6x8) so am now on the lookout for a larger coil to supplement. Definitely shopping second hand for that.

Now I just need to find somewhere close by to have a play! The controls will take some getting used to.

Tim.

Oh excellent Tim.

Once you know what each function does, it becomes very straight forward. Anything you need to know, ask in the QED section and/or the facebook group, or Reg or Brian whoever you bought it off. The detector remembers your settings. Read the manual constantly and view the attached videos.

A Minelab 11 mono sold for $70 recently and these pop up often. Watch Gumtree, Ebay and Facebook marketplace. If i spot anything ill let you know.

Cheers!

I THINK I want a DD? Allegedly better performance in mineralised ground?
My theory was that this would be a good way balance out the sadie. Either way, I think I should get out there and use it ASAP to get a better idea of what's what.

Happy to take my time and wait for a cheapy to come available. Really want to keep the spend down if I can.

Nug said:
Cheers!

I THINK I want a DD? Allegedly better performance in mineralised ground?
My theory was that this would be a good way balance out the sadie. Either way, I think I should get out there and use it ASAP to get a better idea of what's what.

Happy to take my time and wait for a cheapy to come available. Really want to keep the spend down if I can.

Reg Wilson and JR Beatty have been testing the concentrics with great success. Speak to whoever you bought the detector off.