Gold pan from 1850's era

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am doing a shoot set in the 1850's in Australia and wondering if anyone knows the best place to borrow/ hire/ buy a prospecting pan or 2 for a 1 day job next week? It can be a replica but would be great to find one that is metal and already rusty if possible? Any thoughts? I am in Adelaide. Thanks in advance.

Hey Beyond,. YOu can buy metal ones , and can make them rust by puting in a fire . then cooling and keeping wet for a week in elements. good enough for a shoot. period correct - bang it around a bit before the fire.

I think they were quite large and rounded at the bottom, back then.

I also think people used a lot of things to pan, that weren't actually custom built gold pans. They used anything they could find that would pan gravels.

This sounds a bit strange, but an old metal wok would probably work after removing the handle and a bit of aging to it.
That's probably more like what you're after in size and shape, if you're trying to recreate one from the 1850's.

Cheers,
Megsy

I have one but I'm 6 hours north of Adelaide.
If your really keen you can have mine, hopefully someone in Adelaide has one

Latest posts