Recommend a UV torch for gemstones?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigWave said:
I would argue that 395nm peak wavelength would put out too much visible violet light, but if that works for you.......

Yes, true, But far better than nothing.... One day when prices come down, I will get a real UV... Most Fluorescent Minerals(from Australia) will 'Show' something using a black light...

LW....

LoneWolf said:
BigWave said:
I would argue that 395nm peak wavelength would put out too much visible violet light, but if that works for you.......

Yes, true, But far better than nothing.... One day when prices come down, I will get a real UV... Most Fluorescent Minerals(from Australia) will 'Show' something using a black light...

LW....
I would question that, but you can certainly have fun with one. Safer to stick with long wavelength uv anyway (if you ever get short wavelength, also get uv goggles or you will burn your eyes)

Lamps for Viewing Fluorescent Minerals
The lamps used to locate and study fluorescent minerals are very different from the ultraviolet lamps (called "black lights") sold in novelty stores. The novelty store lamps are not suitable for mineral studies for two reasons: 1) they emit longwave ultraviolet light (most fluorescent minerals respond to shortwave ultraviolet); and, 2) they emit a significant amount of visible light which interferes with accurate observation, but is not a problem for novelty use.
https://geology.com/store/fluorescent-minerals/uv-lamp.shtml

I have a few mineral samples that Fluoresce nicely under long wavelength UV (I have the Nitecore MT1U), but one of my grandpa's Uranium ore specimens (from Rum Jungle - I believe) is a beaut.
Sorry about the crappy focus - hard to hold camera and UV torch then press shutter.
I have lost the software for my USB microscope - can't find yet.
Anyway, under room lighting - just a rock?
1568531176_uranium_ore.jpg

Then under 365nm UV (with room lighting still on):
1568531231_uranium_ore_1.jpg

An incredibly strong fluorescence.

BigWave said:
I have a few mineral samples that Fluoresce nicely under long wavelength UV (I have the Nitecore MT1U), but one of my grandpa's Uranium ore specimens (from Rum Jungle - I believe) is a beaut.
Sorry about the crappy focus - hard to hold camera and UV torch then press shutter.
I have lost the software for my USB microscope - can't find yet.
Anyway, under room lighting - just a rock?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6786/1568531176_uranium_ore.jpg
Then under 365nm UV (with room lighting still on):
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6786/1568531231_uranium_ore_1.jpg
An incredibly strong fluorescence.

That's all kinds of awesome. Do you have the details of your UV light and where to get it please?

Baz.

Baz,
I currently have the Nitecore MT1U.
A similar but much cheaper unit is the Convoy S2+ 365 nm UV torch.
I believe both of these use the Nichia NCSU033B UV LED (one of the best).

Latest posts