Tasmaniacs Trash 'N Treasure.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just starting said:
The older and more rustic it looks, the better ,in my book, DAVE79 .

A good find.

Are you any closer to solving the mystery of the pulley ?

FOZ
Haven't found a picture of anything similar, but my favorite theory is that it's a chandelier lowering windlass, stolen from an aristocratic English mansion by the gardener, who was transported to Van Diemens Land for his crime. He somehow managed to smuggle the pulley out here on the convict ship and after escaping through a hail of musket balls he made his way to the goldfields and used his gardening skills to become one of the greatest diggers in the colony. Promoted to chief mining engineer, he repurposed the pulley to lower smoko and a Billy to the workers down the shaft. A long shot maybe? Or not!

Dave79 said:
just starting said:
The older and more rustic it looks, the better ,in my book, DAVE79 .

A good find.

Are you any closer to solving the mystery of the pulley ?

FOZ
Haven't found a picture of anything similar, but my favorite theory is that it's a chandelier lowering windlass, stolen from an aristocratic English mansion by the gardener, who was transported to Van Diemens Land for his crime. He somehow managed to smuggle the pulley out here on the convict ship and after escaping through a hail of musket balls he made his way to the goldfields and used his gardening skills to become one of the greatest diggers in the colony. Promoted to chief mining engineer, he repurposed the pulley to lower smoko and a Billy to the workers down the shaft. A long shot maybe? Or not!

That sounds totally plausible.

1566343577_rps20190821_092331.jpg

Few bits and pieces that have turned up over the last couple of weeks. First button and suspender buckle I've found with surviving paintwork.

That's exactly how we all want our 1930 pennies to pop out of the ground hey :perfect: .... and not a grade less :p

:lol: Only one problem, they don't seem to be popping out of the ground anywhere around here! Those ones weren't from round here, up in the north east where they have kind soil. Any coppers from where I live look like princess Fiona ]:D

1566604709_rps20190824_094039.jpg

Another old mining camp hidden in the forest.
1566604795_rps20190824_095416.jpg

Button spill!
1566604849_rps20190824_095334.jpg

Love this little ring. It's just copper and glass but the fact that some miners wife or daughter lost it 150 years ago living in a spot I wouldn't even drag my wife into today in a car makes it pretty awesome.

That is a sweet little ring! It probably made her finger go green, but it's the lovely thought that counts! :)

A good assortment of buttons there, I reckon the ring would probably have originally been gold gilt - looks very top heavy. :Y:

silver said:
Buttons
Thimble
key holes
Bag handle
Ring
..... tells a story hey ! :Y:
Hope that it wasn't disposed of because of her demise. If it was I guess it wasn't an isolated incident in those days, tough times.

Had a good weekend on the threepences :)
1566973636_rps20190828_162019.jpg

Beach 3p's
1566973670_rps20190828_162101.jpg

Bush 3p's with a bonus snake buckle and what I think is a stopper out of a bottle of John Lamont soda water, bottled in Scotland. Someone must have hit a good show of gold to be buying imported soda water!

Your doing great Dave !
Hope they stashed an old bittle full of gold dust for you at the base of the biggest tree. :p
:power: :cool: :Y:

Still waiting for one of them to turn up. Closest thing I've found so far is a couple of specks of gold dust in the pan from the creeks and mullock heaps in the area. They seem to have done a really good job of cleaning out the gold from this area!

They'd a hid it up high n dry where no one would think to dig for gold.... well that's what I'd a done if I was there back then.... let everyone think I was just off over the hill a little to go toilet (and hide the gold). :p :goldnugget:

Still no massive gold stashes but a first with this token :)
1567508604_rps20190903_205821.jpg
1567508617_rps20190903_205724.jpg

Not sure what this is. Looks a bit like a cricket buckle but not sure what sport old mates playing..... or was playing till I hit him with my shovel :awful:
1567508779_rps20190903_205620.jpg

The rest of the trash and treasures
1567508835_rps20190903_205534.jpg

Still a beauty buckle Dave. :Y:
looks like a bit of silver thimble there too :D