RnB battery for TDI SL

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
Ded Driver said:
just ordered the tray for my MXT :D

Your MXT will run for around 60 hours +/- using a set of Duracells, You might need to contact Whites to see if the MXT can handle the Voltage, The TDI's can handle up to around 16.v /16.4v but the MXT might have issues with that kind of voltage,

I always change my MXT Batteries at around 57 hours running Duracell AA's, running them down to about 8 or 9 volts.
goodaye RR. Cheers for the heads-up, but im aware of the voltage. I plan to experiment with 6 if they will fit, wired in 2 sets of 3 for 12.6V,
or if not, just a single set of 3.
Ive had instances in the past of half used alkaline batteries leaking if left in for a bit so I don't trust them & always take them out.
I'd be more comfortable leaving the Lithium in & fitting a socket to the tray for charging while in place.
DED

Ded Driver said:
Ridge Runner said:
Ded Driver said:

Your MXT will run for around 60 hours +/- using a set of Duracells, You might need to contact Whites to see if the MXT can handle the Voltage, The TDI's can handle up to around 16.v /16.4v but the MXT might have issues with that kind of voltage,

I always change my MXT Batteries at around 57 hours running Duracell AA's, running them down to about 8 or 9 volts.
goodaye RR. Cheers for the heads-up, but im aware of the voltage. I plan to experiment with 6 if they will fit, wired in 2 sets of 3 for 12.6V,
or if not, just a single set of 3.
Ive had instances in the past of half used alkaline batteries leaking if left in for a bit so I don't trust them & always take them out.
I'd be more comfortable leaving the Lithium in & fitting a socket to the tray for charging while in place.
DED

Whites already make a NiMh 2200mah rechargeable pack that runs for about 40 hours, If I want to use rechargeable batteries I just use some 2700/2750mah batteries, I prefer to use them when doing testing and when detecting I use normal Duracells.

Ridge Runner said:
Ded Driver said:

I always change my MXT Batteries at around 57 hours running Duracell AA's, running them down to about 8 or 9 volts. The MXT is voltage regulated so by adding a higher voltage will not serve any purpose and may kill the machine.

This battery tray only has 3 cells @ 4.15v per cell which results in a maximum terminal voltage of 12.45volts. Not a issue for the mxt.
I know some people are building 4 cell packs for the SL but this isnt it.

Rustynails said:
Ridge Runner said:
Ded Driver said:

I always change my MXT Batteries at around 57 hours running Duracell AA's, running them down to about 8 or 9 volts. The MXT is voltage regulated so by adding a higher voltage will not serve any purpose and may kill the machine.

This battery tray only has 3 cells @ 4.15v per cell which results in a maximum terminal voltage of 12.45volts. Not a issue for the mxt.

The RnB packs are a waste of money when it comes to the MXT because the factory run times are grossly understated and the peak voltage of 18650's "might" be an issue,

Ridge Runner said:
Rustynails said:
Ridge Runner said:
Ded Driver said:

The RnB packs are a waste of money when it comes to the MXT because the factory run times are grossly understated and the peak voltage of 18650's "might" be an issue,

Get the thermos out and have a cup of tea. Youll feel better. :) :)

Rustynails said:
We had a few dead laptops laying about the house so I opened the battery packs and salvaged the 18650 batteries. I bought a charger with a discharge / test function so I could discard weak batteries and group the remainder by capacity. Ended up with about 2 dozen batteries in the 2300mah range. I also bought a battery pack on eBay that takes 6 x 18650s with an inbuilt protection circuit and 5v USB output which allows on the go charging of phones and even my nox if needed. The battery pack was about $20.

You want to get rid of the laptops? I'm interested.

Whisp said:
Rustynails said:
We had a few dead laptops laying about the house so I opened the battery packs and salvaged the 18650 batteries. I bought a charger with a discharge / test function so I could discard weak batteries and group the remainder by capacity. Ended up with about 2 dozen batteries in the 2300mah range. I also bought a battery pack on eBay that takes 6 x 18650s with an inbuilt protection circuit and 5v USB output which allows on the go charging of phones and even my nox if needed. The battery pack was about $20.

Sorry, disposed of them a couple of years ago.

Rustynails said:
Whisp said:
Rustynails said:

Sorry, disposed of them a couple of years ago.

Ok, thanks

Rustynails said:
Ridge Runner said:
Rustynails said:
Ridge Runner said:
Ded Driver said:

Get the thermos out and have a cup of tea. Youll feel better. :) :)

What are you waffling about I hate Tea, ]:D :playful: :playful: :playful: :playful:

Thanks mate that was a big help to me :Y:
Rustynails said:
Snippifish, have you
considered one of the eBay battery trays that run 3 x 18650 lithiums? karellian65 did a review of them on this site, Id post a link but I dont know how. I run one in an mxt. The seller still lists them on eBay at $30US posted.

As seen on a few other forums.
Whites spare AA battery tray modified in Australia.
Batteries and charger available in Australia.
Fits: SPP, TDI SL and TDI Beach Hunter + others using same tray.

That's better then using only three 18650..I'm assuming these don't fit into the unit and have to be worn on a belt or something? Where would you get one of these?

snippifish said:

That's better then using only three 18650..I'm assuming these don't fit into the unit and have to be worn on a belt or something? Where would you get one of these?

I made one up a few years ago using 9 X AA's which was good for about 6 and a half hours using 2700mah batteries, I still got here somewhere, I posted it on a few forums.

snippifish said:

I measured a AA tray and an 18650 cell and yes it would appear that it could be modified to fit, but the sliding lid would not fit back on. What you see in the photo would be the completed article. The tray would fit in the battery compartment of the SL though and operate as normal.
Being a 4 cell pack the voltage would be the same as the pro, 14.4 nominal and 16.8 peak. I read an article by Reg Sniff where he stated that the SL will run safely on those voltages and gain extra depth due to the extra voltage in the unregulated transmit circuit.
Ive never owned an SL so Im only stating what Ive read, so do your own research before you take the plunge. The article also warned that the same setup would probably smoke a vlf.

Rustynails said:
snippifish said:

I measured a AA tray and an 18650 cell and yes it would appear that it could be modified to fit, but the sliding lid would not fit back on. What you see in the photo would be the completed article. The tray would fit in the battery compartment of the SL though and operate as normal.
Being a 4 cell pack the voltage would be the same as the pro, 14.4 nominal and 16.8 peak. I read an article by Reg Sniff where he stated that the SL will run safely on those voltages and gain extra depth due to the extra voltage in the unregulated transmit circuit.
Ive never owned an SL so Im only stating what Ive read, so do your own research before you take the plunge. The article also warned that the same setup would probably smoke a vlf.

Yeah that's right, Reg is a Diamond, and those figures are correct, I wouldn't go shoving 16.8v in a V3i or the MXT or the GMT.

Latest posts