South Oz proposed ban on snapper fishing.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Snapper fishing may be banned for 3 years in South Australia.

www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-07/sa-minister-proposes-three-year-ban-on-snapper-fishing/11393520

'The state's commercial catch fell from a peak of 1,035 tonnes in 2010 to 339 tonnes in 2017, according to the department.'

Well fancy that, the commercial catch fell after the super trawler Geelong Star was given the green light to plunder our inshore waters during 2015/16. Never mind, let them take what they want and kill all the bycatch, no big deal - put a ban on snapper fishing until stocks recover and let the super trawlers come back and have another crack at it... :mad:

snafu said:
Snapper fishing may be banned for 3 years in South Australia.

www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-07/sa-minister-proposes-three-year-ban-on-snapper-fishing/11393520

'The state's commercial catch fell from a peak of 1,035 tonnes in 2010 to 339 tonnes in 2017, according to the department.'

Well fancy that, the commercial catch fell after the super trawler Geelong Star was given the green light to plunder our inshore waters during 2015/16. Never mind, let them take what they want and kill all the bycatch, no big deal - put a ban on snapper fishing until stocks recover and let the super trawlers come back and have another crack at it... :mad:

And BTW SNAFU, that supertrawler has nothing to do with Geelong (or Victoria) other than the company that owned it at that time had it berthed there for a time.

Wikipedia article on that ship is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geelong_Star

And for the avoidance of doubt, I agree with you unreservedly about the non-viability of supertrawlers. :Y:

Yeah BC, I was aware of the name change from Dirk Dirk to Geelong Star and the reason behind it.

I got very involved in the protest movement against it's activity in our waters and was glad to see it leave, but of the 76 known giant super trawlers around the globe, only 6 of them are banned from working here.

WTF... this is a foreign ship ????!!!! What the hell are the government ministers doing about it? Why are they punishing us, the people?
Those blokes in power don't go fishing or shooting or even prospecting but yet they create draconian laws that hurt the very people they are supposed to represent.
At least I'm doing my bit next fortnight and attending a protest meeting at parliament house (27th Aug) to try and stop VEAC from trying to ban us from prospecting
in the state forests. About 1 million Ha are at stake.

Aw heck who cares? It's a political dictatorship and they will push it thru. It only took one mental dwarf to disarm all of Australia.

Graybeard, there were a lot of shonky things involving some very influential people regarding the matter of the Geelong Star.

To put it briefly, people with the power to successfully advise on the issue of permits to super trawlers working our waters were also stake holders in the company (Seafish Tasmania) that bought the Geelong Star here. Two of the directors of that company were involved in one of Australias largest cocaine busts and were being investigated by the AFP at the very same time that their advice was being considered and accepted by the Australian Fish Management Authority.

To say that there was something fishy about the entire super trawler saga would be an understatement, but unfortunately, due to a lack of transparency, we may never know who exactly was involved in the dodgy deal and how far it penetrated the halls of Canberra. Maybe time will reveal the truth.

Latest posts