New Detech 80cm Concentric Coil for PI detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy guacamole! That is some big coil. And It's only 65 grams heavier than their 21 x 17 SEF I was using yesterday at Mcintyre.

I'd love to know how much it will cost and how deep it goes.

Now that is interesting!
Seemed to work quite well at the test patch.
Might have to get me one of these when they are available.

Cheers Mick

James Beatty and I have been testing this coil for the last two days and can say that it handles the nastiest ground on very hot settings on the GPX5000. Even Sharp. Depth is very surprising, and it even detects quite small targets well.
We could not believe how smooth it ran, and although it is seriously large, it was not difficult to swing with the help of harness and bungy cord. Needless to say, you need space to use this coil, and in open areas it is in it's element. It is touch sensitive, but this did not prove to be a problem when used in a clear environment.
I believe it will be less than half the price of that other concentric coil that was being promoted by the 'radar' detector man.

Reg Wilson said:
I believe it will be less than half the price of that other concentric coil that was being promoted by the 'radar' detector man.

Not really. The price for this coil advertised in Bulgaria is 1600-1700 Euros. For Australia it is likely to be higher due to import tax and transport cost, rather close to the price of the 30" Nexus coil.
These big coils are expensive to manufacture no matter who makes them.

mbasko said:
The price of the coil in Australia will be AUD$1825 + postage.

So as far as price point goes that makes much more sense if you're pitching to GPX series owners who love big coils and deep holes. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was swinging Detechs 21 x 17 inch SEF on the weekend at Mcintyre in the GT on the end of the 5000, and man there are some seriously deep holes there. Met another couple of guys using a 2000 with an old 25" Coiltek DD on the end of it while I was there. We're your demographic for a big coil like this or the Nexus.

Good to hear that Reg and James Beatty have been testing the Detech coil and it performs favorably. I was concerned that being a Concentric it may have trouble with Mineralized soils. I was reading on another forum, posts by James Beatty regarding Reg's Gold album. There were some amazing photos on there of the big gold found all those years ago, some of it quite deep, so it's good to hear positive feedback from people who know what they are doing.

Those particular tests of Stinky Petes in the second video are very relevant too I feel. I had a guy come in to the shop last week who is a regular customer of ours who has been detecting for many years. A great guy who has often pointed me in the right direction with my obviously newbie questions.

Someone loaned him the New Nugget Finder X-Search 25" DD for a couple of days 2 weeks ago, and he took off to the GT to hunt with it. He came back with a 1 ouncer that was a lovely looking piece of gold, and is in fact the biggest piece that I have personally ever held. I stuck it on our shop scales that only measure to the nearest gram, however they are accurate in that they are professionally calibrated every couple of years when we get audited. It showed exactly 30 grams with the small amount of red dirt that was still attached to it. He was running it in normal on a 4500.

He indicated with his hands how far down he found it in the side of a gully. It looked around 150 to 200mm deep by his indication, but he said that when using it he didn't bother moving any twigs or branches or anything, just moved along detecting over the lot of it. Which of course, for someone like me who spent nearly an hour and a half recently moving crud and raking an area at Longbush before detecting, I found rather impressive. I guess Stinky Pete's air tests over the nugget with different length pieces of timber gives you a good idea of what you can actually get away with using such a big coil also if you can't be bothered clearing everything out of the way.

Reg Wilson said:
James Beatty and I have been testing this coil for the last two days and can say that it handles the nastiest ground on very hot settings on the GPX5000. Even Sharp. Depth is very surprising, and it even detects quite small targets well.
We could not believe how smooth it ran, and although it is seriously large, it was not difficult to swing with the help of harness and bungy cord. Needless to say, you need space to use this coil, and in open areas it is in it's element. It is touch sensitive, but this did not prove to be a problem when used in a clear environment.

Im very inrerested in the new detech 32 inch coil you have been testing.. how would you rate it against your 38 inch mono coil you have mentioned previously.. cheers

If this concentric coil is ran in DD with its 2 seperate windings then does this allow the gpx user to select mono and just run through one of the windings like a normal mono?

If you could just select the inner winding then this would allow you to pin point or find small targets much easier I'd imagine.