My Trommel Build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I've got some casters for it to run on, just got to figure out how to keep it in the one spot on the roller so it doesn't walk off the end without just using a cross bar at the lower end to rub on the trommel

1565864723_053xix.jpg

Only problem is the tube is stainless and I don't have/know anyone with access to a tig welder to put that style of ring on for me.
I've even got to travel 200km to find a shop with a brake press to fold if sluice box up of I want a proper fold rather then a dodgy home made job style lol

Here is the larger wiper motor and 3700GPH pump I've got to run the build.
I figure the 3700gph pump should have enough flow to run the trommel?
I'll install a ball valve into the line so I can adjust the flow rate as needed to run it.

As you can see the wiper motor is rather large as well so should have enough oompf to turn the drum, and if need be I'll play with the gear ratios by using extra pulleys if needed.

I'm undecided on how to best keep the barrel in position, I've got a few ideas of ways to do it now, jist got to pick the easiest way to do it.

As for the sluice, I'm going to pretty much run a walbanker under it. With the frame fitting at about 50mm slope the mid crossbars on the end of the frame are at the perfect height to get a 4:1 drop on the sluice box

The pump I'll be using (at least at first) is the 3700gph pump on the 1st page which should give me about 233lpm in flow. I'll also put a ball valve in it so I can reduce the flow if needed.

Yeah I cant wait, as I've got 2x 20l buckets of classified dirt I've been holding into for about 3yrs waiting to process it lol

Another step in my build achieved, I finally got a walbanker spec sluice box professionally folded up. This has been my sticking point on this project for like 6yrs lol
Now I've just got to make up the hopper part of it and cut down my bread crates to fit etc

When I built a trommel, I used bicycle rims . I think they were 18 inch but you can get all sizes . They were cheap and I had plastic wheels running in the groove . This stopped it moving . You could pop rivet them to your drum , use stainless steel rivets . If the rims are too large , you could cut a piece out and then bend it around your drum . I built a simple pelton wheel to drive it .

In the good old days , when you could dredge , I built the trommel to fit on top of my sluice box . It was a 3 inch dredge . It did work but I decided that it was not worth the extra effort to remove the stones . Just let the stones roll down the sluice box . The trommel was scrapped and the dredge sold . It was driven by the pelton wheel using a bleed of water from the pump . I think I still have the pelton wheel , if you want a photo of that .

Go the 6" poly tube, built mine a while back and runs damn awesome, now that I have worked out this you tube thing I will be putting the build up for all to see.
Works great, reasonably portable and remember make it as small as possible as you are only shovelling into it.
I ran mine on a 100 amp hr battery and it continously ran for 16 hrs and still had some juice left, quiet as a mouse but you do need a petrol pump to move the water though.

I posted my build here a while back, made out of scrap shits and bits, goes well
Cheers Brad....

Latest posts