Whats Your Deepest SDC Target?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wanted to Start a chat about how deep the sdc will pick up a target . I know it depends on many factors target size , mineralization, moisture level, atmospherics, settings, concentration,how you hold your tongue and a whole lot more . Most of my targets , birdshot and gold down to .01g are from surface to 100 mm this is where I find it is at its most sensitive , next would be larger buckshot ,22s and .1g and up from 100mm to 300mm and occasionally 400mm but every now and then I will get a deep one which is encouraging. I thought I was onto something special here .It was a faint broad signal which just got better as I dug at 300 it was screaming then at 600mm it was out ,a massive fugget . The ground was loose highly mineralized and had been pushed many years ago , but it gives me hope that Im going to hear that big nugget when one day I walk over it .
Cheers Booney.
1565696540_c06cda1b-c9bc-434e-9d13-f4ed2ddbe221.jpg

1565697222_ad7a3e36-0163-4db8-9dac-fb9eeeb9257a.jpg

Neat hole :Y: to answer your question my deepest would be around 2' feet for a similar size Fugget as shown in your photo. Again similar to your experience it was a definite broad signal and screamed at around the 3 to 4 hundred mark. The signal was in hard packed ground between 2 mullock heaps (about a metre between them) and it was a warm day 8.( as much as I was disappointed again :mad: I was quite impressed and came home even more confident in the 2300 than before. I have no doubt if you swing over the right target the 2300 will find a multi ounce nugget at depth.

The Only tools used are shown in the picture, the tool in the hole did most of the digging ,although a mate holding the camera did help with scooping out a lot of the dirt and used his pinpointer for the last 100 or so mm of the dig. This is another one of the sdc's abilities,to pinpoint a target. No need to dig a big wide hole if you slide the coil vertically down both sides of the hole and slowly move it towards the centre, the sdc will tell you exactly where the target is . My point to all this is what an amazing machine the sdc is and how deep it will go with the standard coil . I try to work smarter not harder ,doesn't always work but we try .
Cheers Booney

StoneTheCrows said:
My deepest was approx 2 1/2 feet
Old champagne bottle with the foil around the neck.

Good signal at 2 1/2 feet and screaming as i got closer to the target.
Heart was racing i might add.

Fugget

Cant complain about that depth.

Booney said:
The Only tools used are shown in the picture, the tool in the hole did most of the digging ,although a mate holding the camera did help with scooping out a lot of the dirt and used his pinpointer for the last 100 or so mm of the dig. This is another one of the sdc's abilities,to pinpoint a target. No need to dig a big wide hole if you slide the coil vertically down both sides of the hole and slowly move it towards the centre, the sdc will tell you exactly where the target is . My point to all this is what an amazing machine the sdc is and how deep it will go with the standard coil . I try to work smarter not harder ,doesn't always work but we try .
Cheers Booney

I agree and believe this is a key aspect of the generally lukewarm reception that the new Coiltek SDC coils have met with (ignoring the initial faulty ones). The SDC and its fixed coil were optimised by Minelab together, as a system. As a consequence, although interchangeable coils are now possible, IMHO the pairing will always be sub-optimum without changes to the inbuilt SDC software (actually firmware).

Well I'm quite impressed with some of these depths as I thought that the SDC's excelled in shallow soil but not so much at any depth. Of course big fuggets would probably turn an Aldi machine into a screamer as well ... ??

I'm also impressed with your ability to limit the width of your hole. My holes seem to get twice as wide as deep.

Anolphart said:
Well I'm quite impressed with some of these depths as I thought that the SDC's excelled in shallow soil but not so much at any depth. Of course big fuggets would probably turn an Aldi machine into a screamer as well ... ??

I'm also impressed with your ability to limit the width of your hole. My holes seem to get twice as wide as deep.

Always remember - the Hand of Faith was supposedly found standing on end, not lying flat. ;)

Aussiedigs said:
StoneTheCrows said:
My deepest was approx 2 1/2 feet
Old champagne bottle with the foil around the neck.

Good signal at 2 1/2 feet and screaming as i got closer to the target.
Heart was racing i might add.

Fugget

Cant complain about that depth.
Yep it was a good hole

Also add the deepest I have found gold is apprx 8 inches 3.7gm

7.3gr nugget at about 300mm with standard coil. I have found trash at 500-600 mark. I lost confidence in the 11" Coiltek after receiving one of the faulty ones. It still found gold but all of it on the surface. Pretty sure this means I just didn't swing it over anything at depth.

Longer than arm reach as we had to bench out the hole to reach the bottom,ended up being rubbish

Hmm. Had my second son out with me , tried an old sluice dam , Went down 4ft. Only to find the biggest chain ever. Holding up the wall. Its like one of those clearing chains to remove trees Bloody big.

Latest posts