Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 4500 was discontinued a long time ago, but then re-introduced due to demand in Africa.
As Mbasko said in another thread, I'm actually surprised it's survived this long.

So anyone who's been on the fence about grabbing one, act quick, as once they are gone they are gone

It makes sense, it would cost the factory the same amount to make a 4500 as it would a 5000, but the price difference in the shop is around $2,000.

Finally Reeds raised up the price for the GPX 4500 to 4090.- AUD today so around 440 AUD more than last week.....
Will see how the price for SDC will go up the next days....

I wish they gave me more time to decide, is the new 4500 as quiet as the 5000 (all else equal)? If so, that's all you need.

If I was Minelab I wouldn't discontinue the GPX-4500 til I had something similar or better for the price point to back up the sales they will loose.

Colour said:
I wish they gave me more time to decide, is the new 4500 as quiet as the 5000 (all else equal)? If so, that's all you need.

How quiet the machine runs is mainly dependent on how you have the settings. The 5000 has extra timings which gives it an advantage over the 4500. That being said, the 4500 is a good machine.

Colour said:

I'd say the conditions on the day and how well you know how to run the machine would make a bigger difference than the 4500 vs 5000 if they were in the same timing, but as Pat says the 5000's fine gold is better and what most people will use, it comes down to budget and how serious you want to take it.
If I had a choice now id take the 5000, but I also know I'm hooked and I'll be doing this for a long time.

I've used a 15 year old 4000 next to my 2 year old 4500 and it's an extremely good detector, it just lacks a timing between Sens extra and sens smooth.

Thanks for the answers guys. :Y:

Jarrod84 said:
I've used a 15 year old 4000 next to my 2 year old 4500 and it's an extremely good detector
I can't believe it's been that long, that was the last time I was in the goldfields!

Jarrod84 said:
it just lacks a timing between Sens extra and sens smooth.

Doesn't the 4500 lack that as well, given enhanced is under the normal timing? I guess I know what you mean though.

Smooth was rocking the goldfields 15 yrs ago, now it's fine gold, apparently most people who use the 5000 use fine gold 90% of the time.

5000 just gives you more options.

Fine Gold is slightly more sensitive than Enhance on most targets, but there are still some targets where Enhance can be better, particularly with a bigger coil.

As Pat says, how quiet the machine runs comes down to settings. Put it this way, a 5000 in Enhance in factory settings, vs a new 4500 in Enhance in factory settings is virtually identical. I do like the 1-20 Gain adjustment on the 5000, gives you a little more fine tuning ability.

Regarding timings on the 5000, I use Fine Gold a lot of the time, switch to Enhance if I hit really bad ground. Normal when using a DD, and Sens Extra when working very mild ground with a small mono. I also use Salt Gold when taking it in the beach.

Now i am in the 45 club, i just want to clear up if it is best to run in fixed or tracking ? Got conflicting info on this .

I was told to ground balance in fixed and then hit the switch to tracking just before i let the green button go. Is this right ?

I am running the standard factory { 11 " } mono coil.

Thanks for any advice.

FOZ

Don't be scared to try tracking although most would stay in fixed the majority of the time. Some good write ups from Nenad:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=248329#p248329

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17538

Another discussion:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30140

I was told to ground balance in fixed and then hit the switch to tracking just before i let the green button go. Is this right ?
That's correct - on initial set up - pump the coil up/down in fixed using the quick track button until the threshold becomes smooth, then while still moving the coil (easier said than done) flick into tracking & release the quick track button. This initiates a final 3 second fast ground balance so it's important to keep the coil moving during this.

Once set up though you can just leave the GPX in tracking.
If you need to re-balance press & release the ground tracking button (you will hear a beep) which will again initiate a 3 second fast ground balance. Do this while pumping the coil until it smooths out again.
If you find that you are going out of balance regularly then you need to adjust the tracking speed i.e. from slow to medium & so on.

You can't track out a signal if on getting a faint target you hold in the quick track button to go into fixed or switch over to fixed on the panel.

Run fixed if you're running in enhanced timing because it already eliminates most of the ground noise, just remember to ground balance every now and then or if it seems bit noisy.
When you get a bit more adventurous if I'm in dodgy ground but want to run sens extra or normal timings I'll run it in tracking because they dont handle the ground as well.

Thanks for the replies and links everyone.

Sounds like fixed is the way to go ,but one of those comments mentioned using in tracking if covering alot of ground.
I probably walk a square mile or so in a 4 to 5 hour session . I go over ground slowly in areas with little ground fuel / foilage and
a little bit faster when there is plenty of litter on the ground , usually getting to the next clear area i can see. Should i still use tracking
in that scenario or would fixed still work OK ? I suppose it mightr be a matter of experimenting.

Thanks.
FOZ

Hi All , I have a setting question about RX Grain and Stabiliser . I am confused about what this should be , EG Some are saying ,when setting RX Grain on 9 eg with stabiliser on 7 say 2 to 3 below RX.
Then I looked at a video with graphs drawn by a electronic teacher showing how it all works putting the Stabiliser above RX Grain eg if 9 stab on 11 .
Please I would really love to know why some have different setting techniques, what is the correct way .
Should RX Grain be higher than stab or the other way, Stabiliser lower than RX Grain ? Thank you ken

Hi all
Im new to this, only been out decting in the golden triangle twice. I have a 4500 with evo 12 coil. Can anyone suggest what settings they use for the same setup. Im currently using the settings recommended by miners den before i changed to the evo 12. Thanks

The nugget magnet on YouTube has a video in which he shows the settings he uses in W.A. I use the same settings in my 4500 with the 12x8 eco and it performs very well

Latest posts