Tasmaniacs Trash 'N Treasure.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be searching for double offset pulleys. and see what you come up with . I searched online last night just for windlass pulleys and there were some smaller ones . Maybe just for water buckets . Being offset could be the key to it . The bit on the end sits in something .And the loop in the other end might be attached to a chain of sorts .

Dave79 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/
Found an interesting thingy near an old gold mine today. Looks like it was mounted on something and has 2 small pulleys in it. Made of brass. Anyone got any idea what it might be used for?

Possibly an old lamp pulley? Back in the day they used to lower the lamp to light it then haul it back up. Being brass may be because it was ornamental? The floating section is interesting. To swivel or dampen? Twin pulleys! There is a bit going on with that pulley! Lowering/raising a blind!

1565050982_rps20190806_101937.jpg
1565051000_rps20190806_102010.jpg

A few other thingys from the same area. Can see a soldering iron, buggy reins guide, harmonica reed and bits of an oil lamp. The closest thing to that pulley I've found online is a chandelier windlass system so Aussiedigs might be onto it. Most of the industrial pulleys from that period seem to be cast iron so I'm thinking that it was something from the house.

Those bottles are cool dave79.
I remember finding some very similar out bush many, many a moons ago in Bendigo as a kid
If only I had of kept them

Alternatively, what about the system to secure and retract older style canvas verandah awnings? They had pulleys for braided rope that looked not dissimilar to that used in the double-hung sashes.

Bush Chook said:
Alternatively, what about the system to secure and retract older style canvas verandah awnings? They had pulleys for braided rope that looked not dissimilar to that used in the double-hung sashes.
Could be, all the window sashes i found just had single pulleys running down to a weight.

The older and more rustic it looks, the better ,in my book, DAVE79 .

A good find.

Are you any closer to solving the mystery of the pulley ?

FOZ

Latest posts