zircons gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Varts said:
Sorry guys ,just had to through one of my pics in.... :lol:

Varts

Same :lol: agree with your other comment Zircons are very under rated

Might see you at GG when it cools down ;)

Cheers

Col

Eureka, I'd bet my left nut yours is a zircon. The colour is pretty much unmistakeable and the crystal shape is clearly square in cross section (i.e. has 4 long faces terminating in a little 4-sided pyramid either end). Corundum (ruby, sapphire) crystals are hexagonal, not square.

I think you need to Google specific gravity of gemstones. This will tell you which gemstone is heaviest. I'm sure ive read a few posts on that exact topic.

Those branxholm zircons are great, did you find any peridot amongst them? Is there a fossicking area there? Or just word of mouth spots?

Regards josh

Hi Josh,

There is no fossicking area at Branxholm, the creek is in State Forest, but a prospecting licence from MRT only costs ~$27 and allows you to prospect in all unreserved public land.

It's the first creek out of Branxholm on the road to Derby. It's easy to miss, if you get to the Mt Paris Dam Road you've gone too far. Look for guard rails. It's a stinky, slimy ditch covered in blackberries, but it has good zircons and the odd topaz and sapphire.

Glad you identified the stone eureka,

Mfdes thanks for that, next time I'm up that way I'll keep an eye out. Let's hope I can find a decent spot:)

No worries Josh,

The place s a bit yucky but the stones are there and you're guaranteed to find a good amount.

Latest posts