Welcome Stranger By Denise Deason

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am looking for a copy of the following book if anyone has one they want to sell

Welcome, Stranger
The Amazing True Story of One Man's Legendary Search for Gold, at All Costs
By Denise Deason

Thanks centralvic

thanks mbasko must have missed it last light searched everywhere
Cheers centralvic

thanks Goldierocks will have a look for that book also
thanks gravity that is good website for gold related info

goldierocks said:
I recommend this one for accuracy, written by a local geologist:

Potter, Terry F. (1999) The Welcome Stranger: a definitive account of the worlds largest alluvial gold nugget. ISBN 0-646-38709-X
(Terry is a local geologist)

Yes a good book.The Echuca library has a copy that I borrowed, and I suspect many libraries would either have it or be able to get it from one of their associated libraries.

The thing that I didn't know until I read it, was that The Welcome Stranger was found with quite a bit of quartz attached to it. Apparently Deason took it back home to his house where it was placed on their open fire over night to help remove the quartz. And yet, many people poo-poo the Holterman nugget as not being a true nugget but rather a specimen because of all the quartz and rock associated with it. The Holterman nugget yielded around 3000 troy ounces of gold. Is there any other Geological reason for this differentiation goldierocks?

The Welcome nugget was eluvial, not strictly alluvial. Found downslope from a quartz reef worked for gold, and fairly clearly derived from it. Holtermans was still in its quartz reef and had to be brought up the shaft. Since both originally formed in quartz reefs, the distinction is rather artificial - but the locations in which they were found were nevertheless different.

Thanks goldierocks, that's the thing that always confused me, in that The Welcome stranger I thought was an obvious piece of the Bulldog Reef. Still found under the surface, just not deep down a shaft. Seems kind of unfair that Mr Holterman was denied the title. But I get your point alluvial/eluvial. I'd be happy to find either :D

Deepseeker said:
Thanks goldierocks, that's the thing that always confused me, in that The Welcome stranger I thought was an obvious piece of the Bulldog Reef. Still found under the surface, just not deep down a shaft. Seems kind of unfair that Mr Holterman was denied the title. But I get your point alluvial/eluvial. I'd be happy to find either :D
It was barely ulnder the surface :)

Status
Not open for further replies.