You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

CreviceSucker
29 June 2019 12:30 am

Hey guys I have the correct answer for your diamond core drill problems , I have worked with industrial diamonds for donkeys years.

Quartz is not just hard but it’s also very abrasive , it requires soft diamond segment bonds and different diamond concentration (harder segments are used in softer rock like sandstone.)

You need diamonds correctly matched to the quartzite , contact Asahi Industrial Diamonds in Sydney and they will advise you options that will give you the fastest cutting rates and good diamond life .

Just tell them the rock type and they will tell you precisely what you need.

As an example for you , we had diamond segments on saw blades from another supplier that lasted only 100 - 280 lineal metres in black quartzite , Asahi supplied segments that lasted over 2000 metres of life and gave fast cutting speeds. Happy as !

Last edited by CreviceSucker (29 June 2019 12:30 am)

2 users like this post: Ward69, grubstake

thedigger
29 June 2019 09:46 am

Hi Crevicesucker I have been cutting a lot sandstone for the garden beds,and have felt that 14 inch blade that come with the saw does not cut 100%.
So I will into that a bit more. thumbsup

CreviceSucker
29 June 2019 10:36 am

grubstake wrote:
Harlequin wrote:

The drill is a Shaw Backpack diamond core drill - petrol powered. I know that quartzite is extremely hard but I expected it to handle the quartzite easily but that was not the case.

Looks like you've got a nice piece of gear there: http://www.backpackdrill.com/

Shaw's Field Experiences page shows their drill even being used successfully in jade boulders, which I thought were hard as the hobs of hell, so your difficulties with quartzite are surprising. What sort of penetration rate are you achieving?

Shaw’s should give the option of different diamond bonds for different materials but I see no mention of it on their website.

If Shaw’s won’t supply it you will find other suppliers in Oz will retip your worn bits .

tell them what RPM the drill runs at as speed is critical , too slow and the diamonds will fracture or will cut like shettt. Ideal surface speed is 24 - 36 metres per second for diamond blades . Not sure what a 41 mm core drill should be , ask Asahi

CreviceSucker
29 June 2019 10:43 am

thedigger wrote:

Hi Crevicesucker I have been cutting a lot sandstone for the garden beds,and have felt that 14 inch blade that come with the saw does not cut 100%.
So I will into that a bit more. thumbsup

14 inch blades should be dime a dozen , there are some crap ones but also many good diamond products that come out of China because they have been using industrial diamonds for cutting and polishing stone for thousands of years.

Just try spending a little bit more money when you buy one and give them plenty of water . Wet cutting makes the diamonds cut faster , last longer and stops you getting silicosis

1 user likes this post: thedigger

tudogz
08 August 2019 02:19 pm

Great story Harlequin.
I'll come back for more.

"Why do you ask?"

Harlequin
10 August 2019 01:51 pm

Thanks for the well informed info re diamond cutting.Sorry I haven't replied sooner as I have only just read your post as I have been in the midst of moving house. I will certainly follow your advice.

stoyve
10 August 2019 02:28 pm

This thread is awsome Harlequin,
Keep em coming

Cheers Steve thumbsup

Last edited by stoyve (10 August 2019 02:28 pm)

"Closed mouth gathers no feet"

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site