Minelab XT 17000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluecurrant said:
Thanks for the setup info. Its a old detector I know, but is better than not having one. Hopefully I'll find the money to upgrade to a higher spec one in the near future. Cheers
They will find gold now just as they did when Minelab released them , the only thing to consider is if the area you detect may have been done by a newer more efficient machine .
If there is gold out there in spots that havnt been detected you have every chance of getting the bigger shallower bits so dont get disheartened as they arent a toy machine and still a worthwhile detector to start out with . :Y:

I used a 1700 for years, they will find gold,my advice would be to get the smallest coil available the eureca gold coils fit and run in 32mhz, concentrate onte small

Might be an "Old" Detector but they are considered still
to this day one of the best.
Only thing they lack is a display to tell you what to do. 8)
Just set it up the way I said and dig every target that you find.
If you get bells or your ears are blown out,
Just dig the target. :Y:
In essence, They are a very capable machine for a VLF and in a
few circumstances, Will beat a PI Machine.

Bluecurrant said:
Thanks for the setup info. Its a old detector I know, but is better than not having one. Hopefully I'll find the money to upgrade to a higher spec one in the near future. Cheers

Oh, As a relic Machine, Set Disc at 6.
with a 10 inch coil it will astound you on a beach.
Especially in the wash zone. :lol: :lol:
And be careful of needles.
It will pick them up..

I'm using this minelab 8 inch coil
1492173502_rps20170414_223802_636.jpg
. I found this smaller coil it's 6 inches.
1492173860_screenshot_20170414-223230.jpg
This will fit mine its from the eureka gold detector. It's description details it's best for 60 kHz. My 17000 only has 32khz. Will this work on mine. Thanks again for your help. :Y:

Thanks tathradj. My home beach has a gold mine in the headland called diggers point. I have looked at the exposed quartz vain it has pyrite thru out. But alas it's in a national park. The beach was also mined for rutile. There was also a lot of gold extracted from the processing of the beach sand. Would there be nuggets in the sand?, or very fine gold. I'll try it out. I never thought about looking for gold from the beach
Thanks

I have bought a Minlab XT 17000 detector but I only have one coil. It is an 8" and I know there are larger coils that normally come with this model.
Can anyone suggest any that would suite. Since I have not had this one in the feild as yet I will take advise on the best setup to use. The small or the large.
It has been many years since I have been detecting, going back to the early 70s and that was with a garrett.
Both my wife and I are to be out there and I will be trying to get a PI machine as soon as I can afford. Possibly a 3000. This hobby is an excuse to get away from home and do something of interest as well as getting fresh air and exersize. It is better than just sitting around home.
Cheers
Doug WD

Coiltek goldseeker 6 inch and 15 inch WOT coils for ML Eureka (4 pin). ML Goldsearch 4 pin coils (NOT Super Goldsearch PI coils). Cheers Doug.

And they are quite a cable machine too. :)
I still have a battered GT16000.
And it does a good job.
Especially on a beach. :D
12" coil.

Hey guys, I have been using an old green Garrett groundhog but looking at upgrading to a minelab xt17000. Interested in treasure/gold. Out in the bush alot for work in the southwest and always coming across old forestry areas. Would love to upgrade to a 4500 but I found a ninelab XT17000 for $345. No battery or charger though. The condition seems pretty good for the age. Just looking for abit of advice before I cement some coin into it. What size coils work best? Are they effective? Is $345 worth it?

Any info would be great:)
Thanks guys

I would suggest looking around as much/long as you can. That's a good VLF machine but an old model/technology.
I recently scored a Whites MXT Pro (VLF) for $600.
Depends on your budget, but if you can you would be better served getting as newer model as possible, & if you can stretch towards $900-1000 you might find one of the older model Minelab PI units more suited to gold hunting. If you want a bit of gold plus coin/treasure hunting see if you can find a good 2nd hand Equinox 600/800 or similar under $1000 (EQ600 is under $1000 new)

Found a EQ 600 for $700 new never used still in the box but second hand. and a new EQ800 is around $1200. What's the x-terra 705 like? I think I'll keep shopping. I'm not in a rush or anything to purchase, just looking atm before I do invest.

the XTerra is a great little machine but has its limits. OK but not great in gold country here (mineralistion gets it), but a ripper little coin/relic machine. The EQ600 is better (multi frweq) as is my MXT Pro.
To use an Equinox for gold you really want the EQ800 with gold mode.
Pilsner has an XTerra705 in the "For Sale' column at the moment, with 2 extra COiltek coils.

DED

1566341915_f2474dd1-7c85-494b-9dd8-1ec0afd8fbe5.jpg

Hello everyone. I have a Minelab XT17000 detector and have been very curious about this feature for quite some time. Is there anyone here who can tell me what this dial/rheostat is for? I have tried contacting Minelab directly about it but they have yet to give me an answer as to what function it has :/ . It is located on the opposite side of the control box near where the coil plugs in, is somewhat recessed into the case and is slotted to fit a small screwdriver. Is this for some kind of calibration? What is it and what does it do?

Well Ill be darned...for a while I thought Id stumbled upon some top secret function that even the folks at Minelab refused to talk about and/or would not allow their employees to discuss :playful: . Ive been trying to get someone in the company for years to answer that question, never realizing that it was right there in the User Manual :argh: . Over the years Ive lost the user manual that came with the detector, so the link to the pdf is extremely helpful. Thank you, Jahan! :D

Hi guys ,a couple of questions concerning the XT17000.I have had the old girl for along time,my dad gave it to me,never found gold with it but haven't done any detecting for a long time.I have found plenty of junk big and very small ie boot tacks bits of lead and so forth.I always said i would never get rid of it until i find a bit of gold, which i will find one day.Firstly i was wandering if anyone had an old coiltek 6 inch to suit the XT for sale ,i realize its a big ask but you never know,and secondly any advice on running on 32khz for small stuff or general info would be greatly appreciated .I guess i am appealing to the older folks out there who once owned one ,and i do realize that i would stand a better chance of finding something with a new more modern detector,but i am not doing that just yet, i am a stubborn bugger.I have panned gold from the local creeks so it is around,i live out around Kilkivan Qld ,just gotta find it? Thanks for reading.

1st nugget I ever found by myself was a nice 2.5oz piece on my first day with my new xt17000 after upgrading from an old Garrett.
Good old machine and still capable in the right ground.

Also paid for itself a gazillion times over on the beaches :Y:

Latest posts