Cleaning modern coins. Decimals.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Fox

Paul
Reaction score
I'm curious on what others do with their dirty modern coins.

Do you collect them and when you have a huge stack take them to a bank or stick them in jars like a mate of mine and never spend them?

Are there rules around these things? (if there is I'm sure I will get a hate email....)

I do what I call 'Laundering' of my coins.
I use hot soapy water to get rid of the dirt to make them as respectable as possible. Then at lunch time I head down to the local Coke vending machines, pop in $2 of dirty coins, press eject, presto, clean $2 coin comes out. Money is now laundered!

My kids love it, we have a jar with stacks of $2 coins. We dip into when we want to do something special, like get takeaway or ice creams down the local shops :)

Anyway, let me know ;)

SF

Great topic SF.

Small denominations (5c to 50c) = Vending machines
Larger denominations ($1 and $2) = RSL change machine ($2 coins), Poker machine ($1 coins)

The quickest method is definitely taking them to the RSL / club :)

Nugget said:
Great topic SF.

Small denominations (5c to 50c) = Vending machines
Larger denominations ($1 and $2) = RSL change machine ($2 coins), Poker machine ($1 coins)

The quickest method is definitely taking them to the RSL / club :)

I like that idea for the $1 and $2, I'm right next to an RSL too!

Thanks Nugget

SF

A little off subject but relevant if your planning to cchange $1000's of coins at the club. About 5 years ago when I was working at the canberra mint during some renovations. A worker was caught stealing $1 coins. Over a few weeks he stole over $20000 worth of coins.
Aparently he snuck them out in his boots, took it to the club and changed it in a pokie machine.
The reason he was caught was that the staff at the club noticed a unusual amount of very clean $1 coins when they would clean out the pokies. Always in the same machines. They watched the cameras and seen the fella putting in heaps of coins then getting a payout ticket and cashing it in for money.
They train the staff at clubs now to keep an eye out for people doing it as its money laundering and often done with the proceeds of crime.
He was reported and the police followed up on it and it and was later caught.
I was also doing a bit of bar work when another fella was under investigation for doing something similar. But turnes out he was just a bit odd. He would just put all of his money in just to pull it out again to make it look like he had a big win to his mates. Yep, he was nuts.
If your not bteaking the law, just go to the bank I reckon.

They have coin counting machines at most banks where you pour them onto the small conveyer belt and it sucks them in, totals it and prints out a docket that you take to the counter and deposit. This way your not handing them to someone and its pretty quick

Greglz86 said:
A little off subject but relevant if your planning to cchange $1000's of coins at the club. About 5 years ago when I was working at the canberra mint during some renovations. A worker was caught stealing $1 coins. Over a few weeks he stole over $20000 worth of coins.
Aparently he snuck them out in his boots, took it to the club and changed it in a pokie machine.
The reason he was caught was that the staff at the club noticed a unusual amount of very clean $1 coins when they would clean out the pokies. Always in the same machines. They watched the cameras and seen the fella putting in heaps of coins then getting a payout ticket and cashing it in for money.
They train the staff at clubs now to keep an eye out for people doing it as its money laundering and often done with the proceeds of crime.
I was also doing a bit of bar work when another fella was under investigation for doing something similar. But turnes out he was just a bit odd. He would just put all of his money in just to pull it out again to make it look like he had a big win to his mates. Yep, he was nuts.

Interesting story Greglz86, clubs certainly keep a good eye on what's going on.

There's no law breaking going on here, but it can be difficult at times for the average Joe to walk in and hand dirty coins over the bank counter. I've heard of people having there coins refused for being too dirty, but personally I would have thought that it was up to the bank to take them out of circulation.

Although morally questionable, changing coins over at the local club shouldn't pose too much of a problem come banking time when you consider the thousands of coins they'll be thrown in with. Plus being a multimillion dollar bank customer doesn't hurt either :lol:

At the end if the day, its just another way to get those coins to the bank for retirement.

Sa_bogan said:
They have coin counting machines at most banks where you pour them onto the small conveyer belt and it sucks them in, totals it and prints out a docket that you take to the counter and deposit. This way your not handing them to someone and its pretty quick

The banks I've been to still do it for you, but I guess it all depends on where you go.

Greglz86 said:

I think I remember that Greglz86. If I recall itwas on Prime local news (before the scraped the local news).
I'll remember to keep it to small amount ;)

Sa_bogan said:

I've seen these machines, but to make it worth your while you need to be a member of that bank, they charge you an arm and a leg if your not!
I went in with $200 in 50c coins, they tried to charge me $15 to exchange it to notes :mad:
Bloody banks, they get enough out of us!

It depends of the coin, depends of the corrosion, depends of the ground it wa burried in, ...
If it is a modern coin, I have no mercy, I use a dremel tool with a steel brush.

Here is a coin i found in my back yard and im just trying to find out the best way to clean it because i cant geta date on it
1389761150_image.jpg

Latest posts