Wally69's Nugget Hunting Practice. The By-Catch.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Sure looks like one to me. Awesome find, pays to dig up big lumps of iron sometimes.

:eek: Cash box draw ?.?.? Ten feet up the outside wall of a cave, still protected from the elements. Got a signal when I put the detector on the roof of the cave. What are the TIDs for gold sovereigns ??..

Ran out of daylight...... will need to go back with some stilts.

1564907601_78913ae9-187e-4a34-be33-81a4b52fdf50.jpg

silver said:

Hmmmm,...... Thanks Silver, They might be a bit light in construction for prison irons, perhaps a light weight work crew set or something totally different. Will need to give them a clean, a quick scratch indicated that they may be made of brass. Mariners shackles perhaps, to stop corrosion ??..

False alarm Silver, the item is an out-of-shape brass duffel bag handle/lock from WW2.

One of the bars is meant to be straight, giving a distinct D appearance. The tongue with a hole for the lock has also been broken off.

Maybe the real convict shackles are in the storage locker in the roof of the cave along with some other goodies. Not sure how to get access up there yet but very keen to see if anything of value was left behind. :p :p :p

It has been a while since my last urban fossicking confession

Yesterday afternoon, I stuffed up a gemstone I was cutting, so I decided to go and find one that had already been cut.

Back in June 2019, I hit a beach that had some coffee rock exposed by a big storm and found over 300 coins, mostly predecimals. As the tide was looking favourable and there has been some good sand movement over the past month, I thought I would give it another crack.

.I am going to need a bigger treasure chest.
1642893673_9339b062-f4f2-42d9-9b72-162320defb52.jpg

Danny13 said:
What a cracking hunt ! Did you crevice? Can never get of finding gold too :power:

Crevices and soccer ball holes Danny - even got 3 coins out of one hole. Photos of the rock are back one page back on this thread. These were further down into the low tide zone where the beach sweeps up onto the rocks.

Oldest of this lot - that I could read was 1916 penny but think the lead hem button might be mid 1800s