Chinese camp finds anyone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just looking over the Tully's maps and realised we were detecting at a Chinese camp near Chewton the other day. Apart from a metal button that could have been anybody's we didn't find any relics....or gold :/
But it got me thinking - what Chinese relics have you found at camps? And do you think there is any difference in the landscapes now as a result of methods of Chinese miners? Were their methods different? Have you found gold in different places than other mining areas.
Would love to hear your thoughts!
Happy searching everybody :trophy: :pickshovel: :Y: :goldnugget:

Assuming a true representation of the goldfields, this image is typical of the what relic extraction experience has told me.

1564304889_7b4b871f-2edf-47e7-8eeb-6c28da7acd0d.jpg

Camp locations were widespread, with the types of buttons found about the only indication of country of origin. I find smoko campsites immediately above or within the digging, while more established camps were located a reasonable distance away, and often on steeper ground, possibly for a view and get away from the day-job.

Funny how almost all the painted representations or photos of diggings dont show the camps.

In regard to diggings, I have grown up with statement that the round holes are generally associated with the Chinese and square with Europeans. Relics I have found dont contest this notion but I seem to find both types of buttons and coins regardless of hole geometry.

Buttons and coins are the clear identifiers of Chinese occupation, the odd bit of ceramics or glassware are the other common items.

Then, there are photos that indicate when the camps were more established, they set them up the same way as everyone else

1564305551_b0f8f4e5-f1e0-4553-9aa6-73c1aa8a319f.jpg

Wally69 this is awesome info. I might post a photo of the button and see what people have to say. Just looks like an unmarked rusty old button to me! Of course gold is the aim, but I'm increasingly excited about the idea of finding relics like coins, to help put together the picture of who was there. Chunks of rusty metal find it hard to indicate anything!
Thanks for the pics :)

Latest posts