How do you get gold out of your rocks?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you get gold out of your rocks do you guys refine them yourself if so can you please explain to me the procedure and what you need to do it. Or is there is another alternative?

Rock crusher or dolly pot.......pan off....pick out what you can.....amalgamate the super fines with mercury....retort to separate and recover gold and mercury....map gas the recovered gold :Y:

Messing with mercury is not to be done by beginners. :argh: One sniff can ruin your whole day. :skull: :poop: I keep my hardrock pan concentrates and roast :fire: (about a tablespoon at a time ) to convert any sulphides to oxides. When ive got enough Ill direct smelt using a flux and collector metal such as lead and then cupel the resulting button to remove the lead base metals from platinium group metals. :playful: Google gold refining and read all you can before messing with mercury/ nitric acid etc. Safety firststs :idea: :bomb:

Thatsgold71 said:
How do you get gold out of your rocks do you guys refine them yourself if so can you please explain to me the procedure and what you need to do it. Or is there is another alternative?
Drop me a PM if you would like a few pointers. It really depends on what sort of ore you have to begin with.

Some put their rocks in a hot fire, then when cooked, drop them into cold water which fractures the rock away from the gold.
I've not tried this, but heard of it being done.

BigWave said:
Some put their rocks in a hot fire, then when cooked, drop them into cold water which fractures the rock away from the gold.
I've not tried this, but heard of it being done.

I saw a Youtube vid of it being done. Worked very well.

Latest posts