The best Satellite imagery resolution..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The best imagery resolution seems to be on google maps..better than google earth..Hema..

Hi All

So I'm just wondering what is so of the best Satellite Imagery that's out there Free or that has to be paid for???
And when I mean great i mean better the Google maps or google Earth!!
Something that you can really zoom in on and check out old diggings and workings ??
As it can be hard to see if there's actual mullock piles or if the ground has been flattered and what can be seen from google maps is just the clay stained ground that's been left from all the old workings.
So I'm after so ""Great Quality"" Satellite Image's so if anyone knows I'd really appreciate your input..
Thanks all for your time and help..

Cheers

I have an app that uses imagery which appears way better than Google Earth and is updated much more regularly. Comparing the two when looking at our homestead there is over 2 years difference in the images and the clarity is almost double.

If anyone knows a way to work out what imagery or sat system an app uses please post it here.

Have a look at nearmaps, uses aerial rather than satellite photography with better resolution. Unfortunately it's a paid app now, used to be free.
A lot of the councils use it.

https://www.nearmap.com.au

This one has a free trial so you can check if its an improvement on satellite

https://www.spookfish.com/

If your in QLD,this may help ( https://www.dnrme.qld.gov.au/home/n...-imagery-offers-clearer-picture-of-queensland ):

Super satellite imagery offers clearer picture of Queensland

Queenslanders can download the highest resolution satellite imagery ever available for free in Australia providing themselves a massive advantage in the new digital economy.

Steven Jacoby, Executive Director of Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy (DNRME) Land and Spatial Information, said the imagery has been acquired through ultra-compact satellites and made available for free through online application the Queensland Globe.

The only other place in the world offering imagery like this for free is California, and in terms of potential of this satellite imagery the skys the limit for Queenslanders.

Usually cost-prohibitive for most small to medium businesses, the governments partnership with international satellite company Planet means anyone can now view and download the high resolution imagery for free via the Queensland Globe and QImagery.

Some areas are better resolution than others..National parks generally have very good resolution and areas deemed of little interest they can turn it down..Usually cant rely on just one source..

madtuna said:
I have an app that uses imagery which appears way better than Google Earth and is updated much more regularly. Comparing the two when looking at our homestead there is over 2 years difference in the images and the clarity is almost double.

If anyone knows a way to work out what imagery or sat system an app uses please post it here.

Hi Madtuna

So whats the App called?

bhogg said:
Hi All

So I'm just wondering what is so of the best Satellite Imagery that's out there Free or that has to be paid for???
And when I mean great i mean better the Google maps or google Earth!!
Something that you can really zoom in on and check out old diggings and workings ??
As it can be hard to see if there's actual mullock piles or if the ground has been flattered and what can be seen from google maps is just the clay stained ground that's been left from all the old workings.
So I'm after so ""Great Quality"" Satellite Image's so if anyone knows I'd really appreciate your input..
Thanks all for your time and help..

Cheers
It mostly costs at extremely high resolution. Google Earth satellite images are fairly good, with a resolution of a few metres (I can see my car parked in my driveway and the shape of my house). However things like Lidar images are better for seeing mullock dumps. They are so sensitive you can even see the dirt along the side of dirt tracks piled up by the bulldozer as it moves, and more importantly it can the see through the forest canopy showing the very detailed topography of the ground beneath. Coverage is increasing and many are downloadable into a GIS programme so you can overlay tracks, building, streams, dams etc onto them as reference points (it also means that you can read the GPS coordinates of mine dumps etc). Here is some lidar of low-relief North American mounds:

1564041420_marching_bear.jpg

1564041445_effigy_mounds_lidar.jpg

Latest posts