Nexus 30" and 21" Concentric Coils For Minelab GPX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Candigger said:
Here is a new air test on the complete 30"CC design. The 30"CC is designed to work in two basic modes of operation - Maximum Depth and Hot Ground, controlled by a switch box behind the coil plug. These two modes are meant to cover any possible performance characteristic offered by Mono, DD and Concentric coils simultaneously, by compensating for some limitations of the GPX design.

Candigger it appears impressive.
Also the coil looks rigid with little flex.
Although the ears that the rod connects too look to be too thin.
Look forward to further video tests.

Rush said:
Candigger said:
Here is a new air test on the complete 30"CC design. The 30"CC is designed to work in two basic modes of operation - Maximum Depth and Hot Ground, controlled by a switch box behind the coil plug. These two modes are meant to cover any possible performance characteristic offered by Mono, DD and Concentric coils simultaneously, by compensating for some limitations of the GPX design.

Candigger it appears impressive.
Also the coil looks rigid with little flex.
Although the ears that the rod connects too look to be too thin.
Look forward to further video tests.

The coil is super stiff. No flexing what so ever. No false signals from mechanics, no touch sensitivity at all. You can bump it all day long. This is why I chose Carbon Fibre as it can not be done in any other way while retaining any useable weight.
The ears are thin indeed, but been made from Glass Fibre (the only Glass Fibre component in the coils) they don't need to be any thicker. Non of my coils have ever ended up with broken years and they are all made the same way.
Next videos that are coming soon are;
21"CC complete air test, same as 30"CC air test.
30"CC depth test on highly mineralised soil loaded with magnetite.
21"CC depth test on highly mineralised soil loaded with magnetite.
30" and 21" CC on 1 kg. of small Roman bronze coins at 85 cm in the ground and Iron Rejection at 10.
30" and 21" EMI suppression test 25 meters away from 50kV power lines and air test demonstration in that situation.

It takes forever to process this videos, so it will be few days I suppose.
The two coils from the videos are going on the way to Oz on Monday and will be there by the end of the week, so trials and tribulations can be arranged.

Chrisco said:
Candigger,
I just had a look at the test videos for the 30cc coil.
If that coil can achieve those depths consistently in Aussie souls, and if it can handle the mineralization in Australia, then I for one would pay that kind of money for it because I know there is a lot of good gold, particularly larger nuggets, laying at those depths waiting to be found.
But- I would want to see it being run over hot ground to see if it can handle those minerals, and Id want to see it first hand for myself before I laid out that kind of money.
Are you offering the chance for people to meet up with your Aussie tester (Matt?) to see that thing live?
If so I would love to come and have a look when he does take it out in Vic again.
And the same goes for that 40.....

Chris

Where are you located.. qld or Victoria?

After detecting for well over 30 years I must of heard that air tests don't mean anything over 10,000 times, So I know Air tests have very little value compared to In ground targets but when compared to other air tests using the same machine and coil combo's then if it add 5 or 6" over a 15" Coil on in ground targets then that might be the edge a person needs,

I have been doing this long enough to know that Air Tests are proof of nothing when it comes to real world detecting, But still it is an impressive coil just the same.

Rush said:
Ded Driver said:
This is not expected to deliver the exact same results in the field.

But very close to the same result an air test to in the ground according to Mr Candy.

Yes, A PI will display similar results where as a VLF will only manage somewhere between 30 to 75% of what they Air test at.

With a VLF it only shows that it can see the targets and is also useful for Mapping out the detection field of the coil. But in normal soils they too can surprize the owner if the ground is Damp and the mineralization is normal.

Rush said:
Ridge Runner said:
Rush said:
But very close to the same result an air test to in the ground according to Mr Candy.

Yes, A PI will display similar results

And Mr Candy was referring to a Pulse Induction detector.

Yes so was I, PI Air tests are very close to what they achieve in the ground, But a VLF can loose a lot of those distances depending on the ground.

My VLF depending on the coil will pick things up at around 2 meters away or above the coil, It will pickup my Prospecting pick from about 5 feet/ 1.5 meters away, But in good ground 3 to 4 feet / 1.2 meters is about the best it will achieve on in ground Tests.

Ridge Runner said:
After detecting for well over 30 years I must of heard that air tests don't mean anything over 10,000 times, So I know Air tests have very little value compared to In ground targets but when compared to other air tests using the same machine and coil combo's then if it add 5 or 6" over a 15" Coil on in ground targets then that might be the edge a person needs,

I have been doing this long enough to know that Air Tests are proof of nothing when it comes to real world detecting, But still it is an impressive coil just the same.

i hear ya !
very impressive indeed :Y: :power:

Possibly. Here is another one with 50 cent Australian in highly mineralised soil.
I used that coin as Nenad used it to test the NF 25XDD in air, so I thought why not try the same target in the ground.

For reference the targets were placed in the ground for testing both the 21"CC and 30'CC coils.
Here is the other video for the 30"CC and the details with the target placement.

Rush said:
Not according to Mr. Candy.
Can you link or quote "Mr Candy" saying that air tests are the ducks guts?
Just wondering because Minelab use a variety of test methods including laboratory tests (assume bench tests in air); manufactured & controlled test lanes; & field testing.
Minelab said:
Whilst having a variety of conveniently accessible test lanes allows for rapid evaluation of new products, it doesn't eliminate the need for wider field testing in real detecting conditions.
I assume Mr. Candy had an input into Minelabs testing methods? Maybe his comments on air testing were taken out of context given Minelabs own testing regime? If air testing was the be all to end all there'd be no need for expensive test beds & external field testing?
From what I can gather it's pretty much a 3 stage process:
Stage 1 - laboratory/bench/air tests
Stage 2 - manufactured/controlled test lane testing
Stage 3 - external field testing in real detecting conditions

IMO Stage 3 is the litmus test for real world outcomes.

Air test method (by Eric Foster):
Eric Foster said:
For a realistic air test, lay the coil on a piece of 1in thick wood, MDF, or plastic on the ground surface, then wave a target over the top of the coil.
The range obtained will not be measurably different to that if the target was buried. The above is true for PI detectors, but not necessarily so for induction balance types, where the operating frequency can make a very noticeable difference.
Other things not necessarily equal or accountable in air tests (especially at different locations) is noise (EMI), ground/ground balance & the halo effect (some question this at all).
IB (VLF) detectors usually air test better than PI detectors BUT the PI detectors handle ground better so lose a lower percentage of performance on in ground targets as ground gets more mineralised while the IB (VLF) detectors lose a larger percentage of performance as the ground gets more mineralised.
Many believe that the "halo effect" can increase in ground target response depth? I'm not going to argue that but I have seen PI detectors do some strange things on dug out targets.
Uncontrolled test beds have various issues too.

This to me is why field testing in real conditions & your own results will always be more important than any air or test bed testing!

Candigger when can we expect to see some RELIABLE field testing of these coils here in Australia. Retrieval of in situ targets (hopefully gold) in our conditions would be more beneficial to your marketing although I think your pricing may be your biggest hurdle.

mbasko said:
Candigger when can we expect to see some RELIABLE field testing of these coils here in Australia. Retrieval of in situ targets (hopefully gold) in our conditions would be more beneficial to your marketing although I think your pricing may be your biggest hurdle.

Coils are on their way to Oz as we speak. It will happen soon and you will know about it.
I will leave to the general public to decide what and who is RELIABLE.

Latest posts