Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2lateagain said:
mbasco, I did try to set it up prior to buying the adapter lead, but was unable to find a plug that would go into the Equinox and have a little bit of holding ability, so the adapter lead was purchased. The wiring does appear to be stereo, bit hard to check contact in the bottom of the 1/4", might have a look tomorrow when it a bit warmer outside. Do not worry too much about it, it was an experiment that did not go as planned, we have other headphones that we can use, it was more a warning to others that might go along this path.

Graham
No worries.
https://www.brookmays.com/i--PWP047DD--Planet-Waves--Adpt-18-Ml-To-14-St-Fm.aspx From reports on Detector Prospector forum this one fits & works but I can't find any in Australia.
If you weren't using the headphones on the GPX the simplest way would be to rewire the headphones plugs to TRS.
Sounds all good though :Y:

mbasco, I have some of the mono and stereo 3.5 plugs, put one in the lathe and turned it down a bit as the outer plastic was too big to fit in the threaded section of the Equinox, but then found that the base of the pin where it is moulded into the plastic was also too big to fit inside past another section in the socket of the Equinox, so decided to just but the adapter lead. Another reason for trying all this was that the original headphones supplied with the Equinox 600 are only 2 wires, not very thick nor long and no outer shield and I felt that they would not last. I did do a loop that was cable tied to the shaft to take the pressure off the 3.5mm plug, but that made the cable shorter again. Will now use the redundant set from the GPX with the curly and the adapter lead and that should over come all the issues. Thanks for your help.

Graham

mbasco, have just put a mono to mono plug lead into the adapter lead and using the tip plus ring (holding by hand) I am getting the sound through the Grey Ghost head phones, so I either cut up the mono to mono lead (which was sent by mistake by seller) and put a socket on or make up a new lead with some of the bits I have here. Going to have a lot of plugs and sockets on the headphone lead, but at least it will give us a chance to see if the Grey Ghost work better at the beach and blocks some of the other noises.

Just went looking and found these, would they work?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Pcs-M...348&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Graham

Not 100% sure but they should work & no big dollars to try. I'd definitely look at making a new lead at some stage though (if the Grey Ghosts are better).
Less connections = less things that can go wrong.

Mabasko, yes agree with the less connections, but might the above a go to see what happens before making new leads, will look at it is the future, now have a job of replacing all the radiator hoses on my 1999 Pajero, local mechanic was not interested in job, too hard. Want it all correct for the next trip to the GT. Not keen sitting on the side of the highway waiting for help if I can help it.

Graham

1563677378_20190707_1330341.jpg

Yeah y mate recons beavh one is great on even if it's not near the beach. Haven't tried it myself but he said hs found stuff in his bavk yard that he has been over heaps of times and in b1 he started findind lots of brass objects and coins. Inreresting, why is it so ?

Maybe mineralized ground reacts similar to wet salty sand and the transmit and receive programs in beach mode help cancel it out. Not much of a scientist but it seems to work.

Dave79 said:
Maybe mineralized ground reacts similar to wet salty sand and the transmit and receive programs in beach mode help cancel it out. Not much of a scientist but it seems to work.

Usually Salty ground has a lower Ground balance point, IE If the normal Ground balance range goes from say ? 28 to 99 out of 100 then when you switch to SALT Mode it will go from say 35 down to Zero sometimes Back Round to 99 or even 98/97 back to the point of where the numbers overlap the high numbers,

Although a lot of detectors can account for salty ground Some detectors have a SALT mode and some Allow you to Switch the Ground balance to SALT regardless of what mode you are In / using. On most machines the SALT mode is all about Ground Balancing and some machine have the Salt mode as a pre set where it is sort of close enough to handle most salty conditions.

351Bronco84, I am asking a favor, what app did you design the bracket on? I have a 3D printer also and would like to make one of the brackets. If I am incroaching on your build I apologize. Thanks HH
CtDigger

CtDigger said:
351Bronco84, I am asking a favor, what app did you design the bracket on? I have a 3D printer also and would like to make one of the brackets. If I am incroaching on your build I apologize. Thanks HH
CtDigger
Hi, I just use Freecad but you should be able to design it with any software you feel comfortable using.
The software isn't as important as getting all the dimension right. :Y:

Nice work 351Bronco84 :Y: welcome to PA :beer: I don't have an equinox but I'll keep you in mind if I do.

Where are you located.

Latest posts