Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfin said:
VicGoldHunter said:
Does anyone know what the quick track button does? I read the Manuel but still not entirely sure what it does.

Ive always had this a couple times where Im detecting and all of a sudden I get a very quick decent signal but on repeat swing its gone. Is this just a glitch? Happened at least twice now

Ground Balancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WU2YZeeKYc
And the very quick decent signal your are experiencing VGH sounds like it might be an EMI spike to me.
If you haven't already, I would recommend doing a field day with a guide or through Coiltek Maryborough, Miners Den Bendigo or similar as they will have you sorted in no time and have you understanding your 4500 before the day is out :Y:

vstrom said:
Have been looking at getting a GPX4500 second hand or new but notice most the second hand ones are out of warranty and are only about $500 cheaper than new do the second hand sellers not see what brand new ones cost for the extra $500you get brand new 3 years warranty why would you brother with second hand at those prices.

The only advantage as others have said used machines often come with a wide variety of coils and extras high output cords etc all these accessories really add up after a while sometimes you can grab a real deal on a second hand unit in great condition

muzz said:
The only advantage as others have said used machines often come with a wide variety of coils and extras high output cords etc all these accessories really add up after a while sometimes you can grab a real deal on a second hand unit in great condition

So true, I bought my gpx 5000 second hand and it's a cracker. It was previously owned by an old guy who treated it like his baby and he was just too old to swing it anymore. Some of the deals I've seen online come with quite a few nice coils and other inclusions. Just make sure it's a genuine Minelab and you should be ok. I also made sure I paid with Paypal just in case anything went wrong. Also make sure if using paypal that in the notes when transferring the money you stipulate that you have requested postage with signature & insurance. Everything is pretty must cast iron then. :Y:

Im currently running the factory preset with stock 11 mono coil, tracking and all my targets have been extremely shallow. And if I wave over my coil a small bit of iron just to test it, its hardly picking it up from more than 6 inches away. I wouldnt even hear it just sounds like ground noise.

Timing:
Front panel- enhance back- sens Extra
Rx gain: 8 (tried more but was very unstable)
Stab: 10
GB: tracking

Thanks I have found 2 sub gram nuggets with these settings but they were only 2-3 inches in depth in a creek wall.

I have noticed you have had a few post where you are not sure or happy in the way all your equipment is running . What state are you in how long have you been detecting regards john :Y:

I did a depth test with my 5000 at Talbot last week.

General, Special (Fine Gold), Mono, Fixed

Rx 11 - Stab 9 - V Slow

Coil - Detek 14" Mono Spiral wound.

Target was a flat piece of metal (about 12cm x 8cm) on the end of a F/glass rod in several polypipes dug into the side of an embankment at various depths.

I got a digable signal with this coil at 42" I then left all settings the same and switched to enhance and lost about 6" in depth, but the detector was much smoother.

There are many variables that affect depth - Coil size, settings, weather, target size and orientation, ground type etc etc. There is no "one size fits all"

Settings are dpendant on personal preferences and the ground your working , everyone has there own setting and it comes down to what your confident with try rx 10 sab 8 audio quiet and fixed and ground balance often . Best hook up with a member in the field to boost your confidence. I think a few have offered thats the best way . Or theres a pa camp coming up queens birthday weekend if you come along Ill have a look at your setup for you . Cheers Booney

Vicgoldhunter,
Your own submission is you're new to the hobby, step back and take a deep breath and proceed slowly.
Too much emphasis is placed on on "depth" if there aren't any deep targets "no" signal, simple as that.
May a suggestion is to take it out of tracking, use only fixed and dig all targets.
There is a great deal of info about the 4500 between the banter from way back in 2011.

http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t7240p30-tuning-your-4500

If this doesn't help do your own research through the hundreds of forum pages across the net.

BTW, we swung our 4500's for ten years before recently upgrading. Over the years my partner or myself picked up gold every day while the other got nothing other than rubbish and lead for over a week at a time.

Those basic settings will get you plenty of depth. You might be expecting too much.
As suggested I'd take it out of tracking if you're running in enhance and ground balance with the green button every now and then. Enhance is the best to learn with because it eliminates so much ground noise and hot rocks.

You did the right thing by settting the gain from listening to how the detector was running, gain is totally dependent on the conditions on the day.

Jarrod84 said:
Those basic settings will get you plenty of depth. You might be expecting too much.
As suggested I'd take it out of tracking if you're running in enhance and ground balance with the green button every now and then. Enhance is the best to learn with because it eliminates so much ground noise and hot rocks.

You did the right thing by settting the gain from listening to how the detector was running, gain is totally dependent on the conditions on the day.

Yeah the gain made the machine very unstable. Think the ground was hot to

Hi Jasi

Howd you go mate ?.
How was the training did it help you out much?.
And did you end up finding yourself a bit of million year old history?.

Hi Jassi.

I would take up this offer.
He is a great help and person.

HoudiniHarry said:
Hi Jasi, happy to take you out one afternoon to the Whipstick to run through the settings etc. Just PM me for contact.

And welcome.

HH

Latest posts