Ben Newbie Redlands Brisbane - fisher f22

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys I'm Ben. Im located in the redlands Brisbane

I have caught a fossicking bug although i have never held a detector or found gold in my life. I have done some panning in my dad's creek and found some small gems...Tumbarumba NSW.

I want to find some gold. So i have purchased a F22 Fisher for my first weapon. I'm looking at combing some local population heavy areas (beaches etc) to get a feel for the device before making any road trips.

I have 4 young boys who are going to love treasure hunting and i am looking for some valuable hints and tips for this.

I have checked out a bit of geology, rock formations and fault lines but yet to explore the field. Tell me there appears to be a fault line up around Redcliff that heads inland.

What my best chance of hitting the scrub close to Brisbane to have a scrounge and dig with 4 young boys?

Thanks heaps for any feedback in advance.

My unit will not arrive for around a week so just researching as much as possible.

Regards
Ben

Welcome to PA Ben.

I'm from Vic, so can't help you with your questions, but I like reading about anyone who takes their kids prospecting and fossicking.

I wish you and the boys the best of luck.

Keep up the research - find areas that were worked in the past - it's a good place to start. The old timers lead the way for us today.

Cheers,
Megsy

Ben, you should pop into the Brisbane MD Club. We meet every 3rd Thursday of the month and do some field trips every month or so. Scout Hall Bertha St Wooloowin and starts about 6:45pm.

Plenty of members around (when not chasing the gold) and a few of us just do relics etc.

First thing is Permission and make sure you do any recovery/digging with care and respect.

If your going out chasing gems/gold then you will need a licence and take care as to fossicking in the right places or you can risk getting lots of people upset.

Hey guys thanks for all the advice I will definitely be getting a fossicking licence I am assuming I also need the fossicking licence in order to search the beaches which isn't made very clear. I did also see there was a separate prospecting licence and people have their claims marked so I'll be careful to be respectful if I make it to those areas

We are family of 8 in total so I don't think I will be able to do anything on a regular basis such as a club unfortunately but I will be keen to share and learn.

Looking forward to getting my detector and going for my first Hunt.

Thanks again

benniej81 said:
Hey guys thanks for all the advice I will definitely be getting a fossicking licence I am assuming I also need the fossicking licence in order to search the beaches which isn't made very clear. I did also see there was a separate prospecting licence and people have their claims marked so I'll be careful to be respectful if I make it to those areas

We are family of 8 in total so I don't think I will be able to do anything on a regular basis such as a club unfortunately but I will be keen to share and learn.

Looking forward to getting my detector and going for my first Hunt.

Thanks again

A: Unless you are searching for Gems and Minerals on a beach !!! Then there is no need for a fossicking / prospecting licence. And if there was; such as on South Stradbroke island; then you need a Miners licence and millions of dollars as that is a totally different story.

B: Other than some that have Miners rights, yet to see pegged claims in SEQ and they will be GPS positions and lodged with teh mines department and not always a peg or pile of rocks.

Not like you go out and see 10M or 100M sections pegged and people working on each section. Some of the old gem fields but today most land is already covered under some claim already...

Thanks that's good to know saves me 80 to test a metal detector in my early beggings.

I will just make some calls and do the appropriate things when I'm ready to go fossicking for gold to save all the political nonsense and nit picking which I just don't have time to get involved in.

See how we go.

Thanks

Latest posts