A Few Of Guessologists Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah no makers mark unfortunately, would have been fun to date it. I think it's going to be towards the later end of the occupation of that house, probably 40's.

Back to the current site again, this time a Scottish farthing token! What's the consensus on the date of this one? It's undated, the best I can research is around mid 19th century.

1559623679_img_20190604_144410.jpg

And a really obvious 1908 half penny, I dropped the iron bias right off today, it might have been masked on previous swings.

1559623839_img_20190604_144340.jpg

Finally have a 6" coil on the way, hopefully in time for the long weekend...

Finds from the long weekend up at the old's. The 1922 penny was a good one I dug the hole and pulled out a large ring pull first, then swung over again as a matter of routine and got an even better signal! It had been masked by the ring pull on several passes over the same ground with the stock Equinox coil, took the 6" to get the numbers into the range I'd bother digging it. Still becoming hard going though, there's quite a few hours in those few coins. I'm going to have to start digging all those lower IDs now.... What's been worse is the fakeouts, more than once I got small targets that read a solid 33 on the meter that instead of being the florin that I've been getting my hopes up for (never found a higher denomination than a sixpence here), turn out to be hydraulic hose fittings. The threepence is a 1890, I think I'm going to leave it as is, it's probably not going to clean up well.

1560199368_capture.jpg

Still getting some surprises up at the inlaws property, swung over a 1912 florin that was effectively on surface alongside an irrigation channel. 33-36 on the nox, basically the same as all the copper pipe lengths that were all around it! It was unreadable with the amount of crud and horn silver that was on it, and there's plenty more crud to take off it still. You can see the bubbly silver parts where I got too keen with the aluminum foil and bicarb, built up too much silver plate on the horn silver to make it easy to take off.

1561339363_1912.jpg

1941 threepence from about three inches down in the paddock, and a 1910 half penny at about six down not far away:
1561339603_1941.jpg

1561339613_1910.jpg

Got onto a surprising brace of BBs in one patch too, probably out of a bonfire rather than a pocket spill.

1561339625_bb.jpg

Yep good silver/copper ratio for sure, although I do wonder where all the shillings are on my sites... I've got thrips, sixpences and florins apparently sorted but stuff all shillings. Only found 3 ever so far, two Bullheads and an 1829 KGIV. What are the odds that the ones that I've been likely to find are all so old? Must be a good reason.

That florin has certainly seen a lot of love over the years, and as for shillings I do find can be very hard to come by on some sites with mainly threepences and sixpences floating around. Don't know whether they have been easier to cherry pick by others vs the smaller silvers, and sometimes near surface florins are discounted by some as being "too good to be true" targets (ie. an alloy target).

Either way I prefer your bullhead shillings, they tend to get you quite excited. ;)

Yep the bullheads are special, found one on my first day coin detecting so that's really set the tone for them ever since!

This one got me excited yesterday, a solid but small 18-19 right up against a very old tree stump in one of my bush areas gave up a threepence. This patch of ground has been worked over pretty well by someone other than me in the last year (they dig with a shovel, square holes!), so it gives me the warm and fuzzies to find goodies in there still.

Haven't got bicarb on me at the moment so I just very gently took the horn silver down with some fine steel wool enough to get the date readable, 1863.

1561496969_st.jpg

1561496978_1863a.jpg

1561496987_1863b.jpg

I think I might go full relic mode for a while, it's getting to the point of diminishing returns with targeting coins on the sites that I frequent (basically dug every repeatable signal above 12 that I can find). I think I'll turn up some interesting things if I toss it in Field 1, max the iron bias and just dig solid repeatable targets of lower numbers on these older sites.

Thanks guys, I was very surprised to see a significant amount of gilding left, I could have probably saved a little more if I had have realised that was the case.

Medallions are still the order of the day as it turns out, ended up with two in a short amount of time yesterday; a 1919 Peace medallion and a 1916 Anzac Day medallion:

1562186023_medals1.jpg

1562186033_medals2.jpg

Shame the condition of these evens out the Parliament medallion... Also managed a 1951 threepence for my troubles:

1562186214_1951.jpg

I like this coin's character, I can see a couple of die cracks on this face and the other has at least three.

The die crack was probably the reason the wheat head looks unfinished rather than worn ..... great coin there mate ! :p
:power: :cool: :Y:

Spoils from the last week. My tactic this time around was to just go Park 1 notched out up to about 11, crank the sensitivity all the way to 25, do regular ground balance and noise cancels, and drop the iron bias to 1 from the default 2 on the 600. This apparently had the effect of really slamming on targets that were located underneath tall tussocks of grass, really gave it the ability to suck in targets that weren't directly under the coil and also just be able to brush over the tussocks with six inches of air and grass between the coil and the ground surface and still get hits. The saturated ground at the moment I'm sure helped too.

The 1944 half penny was in a patch of ground that I absolutely am sure that I have swung over literally dozens of times before, and was only about two inches down. My only explanation is that it must have been heavily masked by iron, it was an unmistakable signal though this time.

1563480532_capture.jpg

New (partial, half has been excavated) house site that's immediately come up with the goods:
1564870204_sun1.jpg

Cleaned up ok except the pin holes on the reverse fell off, no matter.
1564870225_sun2.jpg

When I first dug the hole a small gear presumably from the nearby pocket watch was sitting in it and I was immediately disappointed, although the pinpointer confirmed my suspicions that something better was hiding in there. Working on deciphering the round thing, I can get "WILLIAM RIGG ... USA" but google isn't giving me much yet. Watch is nickel plated I think, I also found the back cover and the guts in separate places. Not many coins yet just a '29 penny.
1564870237_sun3.jpg

Also found a good rabbit trap, didn't need a detector for this one.
1564870252_sun4.jpg

Latest posts