Sunbaker Chinese coin thats got us all stumped

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Marc,
The symbols look fairly simple to me (not as complicated as on the coins).
Perhaps a Feng Shui coin?

Had a bit of a look, but can't find any that match so far.

If we can get a bit better look at the detail, it may help. Can you clean it up any more?

Cheers,
Megsy

Hi Marc

This is the reply I got from my Chinese friend , he thinks its Japanese ...?

In regards the coin, most of Chinese coins are bronze coins . Your coin looks like iron coin , only Han and Qin Dynasty ( about 2000 year ago) have such coin will simple character as following photo shows:

image.png

And in the later dynasty , the iron and bronze coin always cast with complicate Chinese character ,but still could identify:

image.png

I could not identify the character on your coin, but think it is just part of Chinese character, whether it is a Japanese ancient coin ?

Sorry if the wording sounds a bit odd

Check this

use your imagination and they are the same.
1563319684_bothcoins.jpg

https://www.propertyroom.com/l/1800s-china-coin/11464555

Trash said:
Hi Marc

This is the reply I got from my Chinese friend , he thinks its Japanese ...?

In regards the coin, most of Chinese coins are bronze coins . Your coin looks like iron coin , only Han and Qin Dynasty ( about 2000 year ago) have such coin will simple character as following photo shows:

image.png

And in the later dynasty , the iron and bronze coin always cast with complicate Chinese character ,but still could identify:

image.png

I could not identify the character on your coin, but think it is just part of Chinese character, whether it is a Japanese ancient coin ?

Sorry if the wording sounds a bit odd

Thanks mate! Yeah i was thinking it may be Japanese. This coin is brass or bronze though. Rings up a 19 on the nox

StoneTheCrows said:
Well stone the crows I reckon you're right!
The reverse that you've shown matches that of a lot of 1700-1800's Chinese coins but none of the ones I found had a similar obverse - you've got the closest I've seen & the reverse does match the general time period. :Y:

mbasko said:
StoneTheCrows said:
The reverse that you've shown matches that of a lot of 1700-1800's Chinese coins but none of the ones I found had a similar obverse - you've got the closest I've seen & the reverse does match the general time period. :Y:

Damn that is a good match, :clap: :Y:

did they ever counterfeit coins in those days ?

Could it be a rough copy ?
Would that be rare if it was faked ?

Greenhornet_au said:
mbasko said:
StoneTheCrows said:

Damn that is a good match, :clap: :Y:

did they ever counterfeit coins in those days ?

Could it be a rough copy ?
Would that be rare if it was faked ?

Now thats a good point, will look into that

Latest posts