KT-6808 Chinese Tumbler

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rattail-1927 said:
Im hearing u , I tried electrolysis..... I had two dollars in it , it melted the clamp and turned it a pinky orange colour and it wont come off . When you add dish detergent do you have water as well ?

Yes water and just a drip/drop of washing liquid. :Y:

Rattail-1927 said:
Im hearing u , I tried electrolysis..... I had two dollars in it , it melted the clamp and turned it a pinky orange colour and it wont come off . When you add dish detergent do you have water as well ?

What did you use as a power source for the electrolysis, sounds like it was a bit too powerful for the job at hand? In the past I just used any old phone charger or 9v power source lying around, doesn't take much power to get the process happening, and usually only takes a few minutes to loosen up any oxidation. Just use an old bolt or nail for the positive lead and the coin with go onto the negative lead - for the liquid I just use a water and salt mix. Also keep the positive cable and clip out of the solution to prevent copper from being transferred to the coin, also do not use stainless steel due to the dangerous by-products created from the chemical reaction. :)

Goldpick said:
Rattail-1927 said:

What did you use as a power source for the electrolysis, sounds like it was a bit too powerful for the job at hand? In the past I just used any old phone charger or 9v power source lying around, doesn't take much power to get the process happening, and usually only takes a few minutes to loosen up any oxidation. Just use an old bolt or nail for the positive lead and the coin with go onto the negative lead - for the liquid I just use a water and salt mix. Also keep the positive cable and clip out of the solution to prevent copper from being transferred to the coin, also do not use stainless steel due to the dangerous by-products created from the chemical reaction. :)
I also used an old 9v charger not sure what it was off , I had some little plated clips I had but Im thinking that they were too small because even being just in the water it ate the end off .

I had a gal tek screw on the other side, Im guessing the clips plated the coin, I attacked it with the steel wool and got it reasonably clean but couldnt get it all off . Lol
All the sites were conflicting with some saying positive and some saying negative..... so I did both .... well all I can say is I hope the tumblr works better... lol

UPDATE, i bought a KT-6808 and set it up but havent tried it yet, in my mad rush waiting for it I was trying all sorts of chemicals to clean my spendables I tried 2/3rds vinegar and 1/3rd Worstichier sauce and it worked , even
On the green ones .... just give them a quick rub with a soap pad and good to go !

Oh dear ... I paid $59 delivered for mine, maybe I will save it for something of some value other than spendables!

SteelPat said:
I've had one of these for about 6 months and the barrel just shattered. So I've cut a bit of 90mm pipe and replaced the hexagonal perspex. At least I'll get a few more months out of it.

You can buy spare barrels on Ebay, or at least you could buy them.

Rattail-1927 said:
UPDATE, i bought a KT-6808 and set it up but havent tried it yet, in my mad rush waiting for it I was trying all sorts of chemicals to clean my spendables I tried 2/3rds vinegar and 1/3rd Worstichier sauce and it worked , even
On the green ones .... just give them a quick rub with a soap pad and good to go !

These are also used on ammo brass for cleaning and reliably work a treat !

You can clean coins by -
Put all coins into the container,
put metal polishing media into the container
a table spoon of dishwashing liquid,
fill container with cold water 25-30mm below the top
add 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid (supermarket purchase) it is cheap

Close container and tumble, water will get really dirty, dump through a strainer that will catch the metal polishing media (sink is fine as this is all biodegradable)
and redo the mix if things are not clean enough, but go light on the citric acid this time.
Times to tumble vary.

Copper coins WILL be damaged in this mix if tumbled too long or left in the liquid and come out bright copper with little to no detail !
Nickel coins will clean nicely but will also be damaged if left too long.

The GOOD thing about these machines is the clear case - stop it and check the coins every 15min until you know how it works.

ALTERNATIVE MIX - less coin damage

All the same as above, but you buy a polishing compound and instead of using citric acid, you use the compound because it is not corrosive.
The cost is higher but because you only use 1 teaspoon of polishing compound per batch, the stuff goes a long, long way.
I would also recommend that you use metal media that is not ball bearing, but stainless steel pins which can be purchased from the same source as the polishing compound.
Aussie Saphire are a good starting point.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tumbling+polishing+compound&t=lm&ia=web

;)

Now I am going to see if I can find one of these tumblers for Kato.

Latest posts