Timber cradle built from whatever i could find

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven't been posting a lot of late, however! I've
been educating the thought of building a cradle for a while and a few weeks ago, it got the better of me. "How hard can it be??" My exact words to the mrs.

The box is about 250mm square and made from cedar with hardwood framing, the apron is some hessian from an old stretcher. The sluice part is 250mm wide, made from the same cedar with bunnings fine rib matting. All up it owes me about 20 bucks, and it works!! And works through gravel about 3 times quicker than the pan unless it gets real clay-ish.

First test caught gold! Although over the last few weeks its undergone some changes so make it better. It now sits on wood that it fits into that gets pegged to the ground to keep it stable and level. The apron is mk2. The bunnings matt wasn't always there, it was a whole bunch of cuts in the timber with a fine wheel on the grinder, which worked, but not as well as the bunnings matt. The hopper on the top started off with holes too small, then too many, then too big, now they're just right with about 40 7mm holes drilled for material to fall through. So far I've only seen a speck or 2 catching the tailings in a pan, a few little bits on the matt but most of it gets caught in the apron. Trouble is, the black sand collection is growing, fast! Need a separator....

Anyhow, I'm open for ideas and suggestions as for anything better i could do and for anyone looking to have a go, feel free to chat!
The design is basically a hybrid of images off the net, an idea in my head and the available materials. More time went into scratching my head looking at the bench than building it! Its been great fun building it and experimenting, and getting a bit of gold here and there!
1555461242_1555461231759371.jpg
1555461287_155546123336457.jpg

1555461376_1555461234930152.jpg

Thanks goody :) feel pretty chuffed haha its a good feeling to build something that actually works! gets a lot of interest out bush too. Some days i do more yakking than i do cradling haha

As long as it does what you want... Then you have done a great job on it...

Like you said it always feels great building something and it's a added bonus that it works :perfect:

Goody :D

Awesome spot of reading there jemba! Thanks for sharing, wish i had of asked the questions before building, thinking it up has been half the fun tho. Scored a heap of free ply yesterday so theres a mk2 in the pipeline and that info is invaluable, thanks again. Seemed to miss a lot of black sand today so may need to look at changing something...

Cheers hippie :)

Good work Jim and some valuable reading Jemba. I would like to have a go at one myself as Im not allowed to use powered equipment.
I take it that to many or to larger holes in the hopper lets the water drain away to fast and not wash dirt and break down the clay?
Ive also read you need to control the rocking to get the correct wave action in the riffle tray, I imagine this would be done in stages aggressive to wash the dirt and controlled for wave action down the riffle tray?
Matt. T

Latest posts