Equanox 800 Wishfull

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't didn't find it Smokey.
But yeah I think he should return it. He probably won't though.
I was trying imagine a one legged horse but that image fell over.
I wonder if your right Greenhornet_au that they did dig up the plots and just took the metal bits out and discarded them. Why would you bother, wouldnt you just leave them in the hole ?

Wishfull said:
Greenhornet_au said:
Mate, you have parts from a coffin ! :8

You are going to have a hard time explaining that 6' hole you dug, better sell the Nox 800, goes too deep. ( or "Your Mate's" )

Those are the ends of coffin handles, one brass bit on each end.....

Yes the plaque says 'At Rest'

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8767/1562833637_handles.jpg
Any idea how old those handle end bits would be ?

The images I found put them in the latish 1800's, so it could extend into the 1900's.

But I would suggest that the pattern seems Victorian, the plaque looks like that sort of script.

Wishfull said:
I didn't didn't find it Smokey.
But yeah I think he should return it. He probably won't though.
I was trying imagine a one legged horse but that image fell over.
I wonder if your right Greenhornet_au that they did dig up the plots and just took the metal bits out and discarded them. Why would you bother, wouldnt you just leave them in the hole ?

As far as I know, if they are re-selling a plot and dig up the box and what is left, it is all taken out and disposed of if found.
Small cemeteries did get over crowded too, sometimes plots opened to put the Wife and Husband into the same hole,
or multiple kids if they all passed away in a short period, saved money.
I am aware of a mother that took 3 children to hospital in Adelaide, all 3 died from illness, she carried them all home wrapped only in brown paper on a train,
then buried them all together by herself. That is pretty tough, what a loss and strength of heart, sad and inspiring at the same time. They were pretty poor.

The box may have disintergrated before or after being pulled up, they do rot away even today.

Cremation, sometimes the non burnable bits were removed and buried under the headstone (family request)

Lazy employees may not bury deep enough.

Sometimes families actually buried the box next to the cemetery in the middle of the night if they could not get into the plots because of cost
Sometimes buried in their own backyard or field or hillside, burial regulation was not in force for many years.
But even in death someone has to pay for your spot. ;)

Boundary moved and box pulled up by a plow.

Floods and soft soil, it floated up and out.

Grave robber's too.

Will never find out, so make up a good story, about a dark and foggy night,
scratching from inside the box as it was buried, and it being found open the next morning after the burial, the body never to be found..... :8

The spirit of the deceased is long gone, but out of respect I would be taking it back to the Cemetery and burying it back inside of the marked area
of the plots, with a small chat and a thank you for the adventure of discovery, smile as you walk away. ;)

Latest posts