You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Joshlv
05 July 2019 04:40 pm

Gday
Ive been doing a bit of scratching around coffs and im try to find specifically where clay gully is.
Ive been along clay gully road to where it crosses the towallum river which ive sampled with poor result.
Pm me with any info youd like to share if you dont want it seen by the public.

Bluecurrant
05 July 2019 07:44 pm

Where it meets tallowum river, that's the end of clay gully creek. Walk up stream and test as you go. Good luck out there. It's a pretty place.

Sdc 2300, Garret super sluice pan.

1 user likes this post: goody2shoes

Joshlv
06 July 2019 04:43 pm

Thanks mate ill give it a go, I've mainly be upstream from that point on the towallum

Bluecurrant
06 July 2019 05:15 pm

There's gold in both creeks. Try and find the soft clay, take your time panning it.

1 user likes this post: goody2shoes

Noelhi
07 July 2019 09:29 pm

JoshIv go through to the locked gate your there perfect

Joshlv
11 July 2019 07:06 pm

Noelhi wrote:

JoshIv go through to the locked gate your there perfect

I havent seen any gates in the time I've been out there

Tibno
26 September 2019 10:01 am

Hi All,

I went out to take a look at Clay Gully over the last week, but unfortunately I never made it to the actual mine area.

I tried accessing Clay Gully via the Kangaroo Creek State forest side, but a mere 1 km from the little bridge at Clay Gully on the map, the road became so brutal that I couldn't pass it in my Subaru Forester. I then drove around the other side and came in North to try and get to Clay Gully, passed one gate, which is a standard cattle gate, but the second gate had a large sign with 'Private Property; firearms may be in use' written on it. Now I'm not one to cross into private property without people's consent, and I was wondering if I had in fact been in the right place.

Which direction have others taken to get to Clay Gully? Coming in by way of the State Forest or in from the North? The state forest way definitely needs a bit of a full bunta 4WD as a Forester won't cut it.

Anyone have any experience with either of the above entries to the Clay Gully area?

Last edited by Tibno (26 September 2019 10:01 am)

Bluecurrant
28 September 2019 08:05 am

your on the right path tibno. the sign is just letting you know to stay on the track and not rip his paddocks up. the farmer is a top bloke. where do you live north or south of clay gully. ill come out and show you around if you want.

4 users like this post: pinfire opals, Gunna, mudgee hunter, goody2shoes

goody2shoes
28 September 2019 12:18 pm

My holden trax will not get in there either..

Trying to find some where to go panning..

Plus I am not good on directions lol lol

Goody

1 user likes this post: mudgee hunter

mudgee hunter
29 September 2019 09:41 am

goody2shoes wrote:

My holden trax will not get in there either..

Trying to find some where to go panning..

Plus I am not good on directions lol lol

Goody

Can you find your way back to the Holden dealer and tell him "this isn't cutting it for me!" Ha

goody2shoes
29 September 2019 11:28 am

??????

7.62marksman
29 September 2019 12:19 pm

Joshlv wrote:

Gday
Ive been doing a bit of scratching around coffs and im try to find specifically where clay gully is.
Ive been along clay gully road to where it crosses the towallum river which ive sampled with poor result.
Pm me with any info youd like to share if you dont want it seen by the public.

will this help mate

1569719986_towallum_river_nsw.jpg

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Joshlv
29 September 2019 02:16 pm

Yeah requires a good 4wd with a lift kit to get through the washouts near the crossing.
There are easier accessible gullies around the same area with gold. There are a lot of tracks not on the maps

mudgee hunter
29 September 2019 05:25 pm

goody2shoes wrote:

??????

Im Just being a tool Goody!

goody2shoes
29 September 2019 05:38 pm

Mmmmmmmmm

Goody...

I'm being nice

1 user likes this post: mudgee hunter

Mackka
29 September 2019 07:37 pm

Turn your map upside down Goody and you will have no worries. That’s what my wife does mad mad lol lol lol lol

4 users like this post: 7.62marksman, goody2shoes, mudgee hunter, LoneWolf

AussieChris
10 October 2019 03:01 pm

Bugger me, I’m up near Coffs for a bit visiting my sister. Took the nephew out today with grand dreams.
I have zero knowledge of the area, just a few tips from Goody.

We tried in the Orara river, and then went up to Glenreagh and Tallawudjah Creek, access is limited at best.

Got a couple of micro dots in the pan from Tallawudjah, certainly not enough to keep us there.
The gravels are so loose I was surprised to even find fly poop, honestly they must have been >300 mesh.

So this Towallum River holds colour then?

I was going to try Bucca Bucca creek tomorrow.

Bathurst has spoilt me I think goldpan

"About 10 minutes into it everything changed, buckets were flying ... people were bleeding. Girls were unconscious."

3 users like this post: robmoto, goody2shoes, LoneWolf

LoneWolf
10 October 2019 11:58 pm

When following along Tallawudjah Ck rd, there is a road off on the right that heads up the hill into the Forest, its marked as State forest, You should have gone up there with 70+ mines and creeks to explore wink ..
Most of the Gold is further up in the hills now and most creek crossings have some colour in them up there if you look hard enough..
Get a topo map of the area (from Coffs Camping ) or a good map and head up into the hills, you will soon find something, if not it's a great drive anyhow...

But with a lot of searching and local knowledge and keeping out of National Parks, the rewards are all worth it...

Do you have a 4x4? as in many places you really NEED one... sad

Google search for 'Georges Gold Mine' and try and read a copy of the book, that has some very useful info in it too...

LW

Last edited by LoneWolf (11 October 2019 12:17 am)

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

3 users like this post: goody2shoes, Gunna, AussieChris

AussieChris
12 October 2019 05:51 pm

Thank you for the info Lonewolf, seems I was not too far away from where I need to be. Might have to wait til next visit to get back up there, I’d imagine it’s not the best place to get stuck when it’s wet.
Took the young fella fishing instead, 8 bream, 1 flathead and 1 whiting later he was pretty happy with the results.

"About 10 minutes into it everything changed, buckets were flying ... people were bleeding. Girls were unconscious."

2 users like this post: goody2shoes, LoneWolf

LoneWolf
13 October 2019 08:18 pm

Nice spot but yes you do have to know the tracks around there. Worthy of another visit, that's for sure... nice catch... thumbsup

LW...

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site