Gloves for detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend gloves that are not only warm but thin enough to still me operate my detector settings easily.Water proof would be an advantage but I can live without it. Just a pain having the take thick warm ones off every time I need to change something or seperate soil etc.

Ps.. as im working this weekend and cant go to the Tuena meet im heading up to Oberon on sunday arvo , with snow predicted I think im going to need them ;)

I was going to say the ones with the fingers missing(ok for SEQ) but when you mentioned snow I recon you might want the pinkys warmer than that GaryO.

Hay Gary,
I think you will have to come to some compromise with the gloves in your situation.
I find Thinsulate brand gloves to be a reasonable compromise where you need dexterity and insulation together.
Try some of the better camping stores they will have something or you could try a motorcycle shop, some of the MX gloves have double layers and you couldn't kill 'em with a brick.

Hiya

Not sure if this has been asked elsewhere- my searches are not very effective.
Any recommendations for good metal detecting gloves for kids and people with small hands? Looking mostly at safety and not having to constantly take them off to use MD or look at finds.

Much appreciated.

I cant go past the ninja style gloves........so light weight and form fitting and good to use in the water as they are easy to dry if they get wet.

Bunnings should have various sizes

These are the ones I use, Carpenters Gloves.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/safety-zone-small-medium-proflex-carpenter-gloves_p5810126

They leave the ends of your index finger, middle finger and thumb bare, which I find is fantastic for being able to adjust the knobs & switches on the GPX 5000, while still giving your hands some comfort while swinging, and also some protection from blisters when digging deep with the pick & spud bar.
I am more inclined to use a scoop now though when trying to find targets in the dirt, as I came across an angry Southern Funnel Web spider in a hole I dug recently in the GT and if you use your hands instead of a scoop you may get a painful lesson :argh:

These fit snug great gloves from miners den.

1562749582_20190624_152407_resize_39.jpg

OK Folks, gold detecting gloves, as a relatively newbee please enlighten me, who uses what, what are their pros and cons, I just hate getting surprised by nasty spiders, centipedes and scorpions and other low life! :eek:

I wear gloves more so to prevent getting sun burn on the part of my hand facing up when holding the detector. I burn easily.
The key for me are comfortable gloves with good flexibility.
I cut the ends of the glove fingers off so that I can still pick up small bits of gold with my finger tips.
I went to Bunnings and tried various gloves to see what worked for me. Some gloves can be very expensive which I refuse to pay. My first pair was from the tool shop and were a soft leather pair.
They lasted years until I lost one of them. The second pair are synthetic gardening gloves.
Cheers

Just bought a pair of the Minelab ones from Miners Den and they are quite good.

I also wear gloves for detecting to protect against the creepy crawlies as well as protect my skin as the dirt and clays dry and crack my hands.
Just find a pair that are comfortable to wear and still allow you to fiddle with settings etc. :Y: