Increasing The Odds Of Gold.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so my mates and I are in the Dunolly area as of Sunday 14th July 2019....I am trying to increase the chance of finding something ...have studied Geovic religiously..
So my thoughts are for possible targets areas...
1.Old shallow lead workings, griding these slowly for traces left behind
2. shallow leads as per Geovic and starting up hill at the top of gullies etc
3. Lots of luck :Y:

Any thoughts ????? :( :(

Ps not asking for your guaranteed-ed honey holes

Message me Saturday night and if I've got the time I'll pop over to help you out. Been looking for an excuse to get out.

:D
rogsav3 said:
so my mates and I are in the Dunolly area as of Sunday 14th July 2019....I am trying to increase the chance of finding something ...have studied Geovic religiously..
So my thoughts are for possible targets areas...
1.Old shallow lead workings, griding these slowly for traces left behind
2. shallow leads as per Geovic and starting up hill at the top of gullies etc
3. Lots of luck :Y:

Any thoughts ????? :( :(

Ps not asking for your guaranteed-ed honey holes

Hi what are you swinging with.

rogsav3 said:
Gpx5000..

Good detector. Get yourself a small nuggetlet. Around 0.05 to 0.03. And get a shotgun shot size number 5, Train your hearing the difference on top of ground and different levels under ground. I use the SDC setting 5 and threshold flat out. I can now pick up sub gram about 10cm down, its very fant. I still dig ever target but I know whats is going to be I hope this helps Mark

Cheers for the advice..certainly will be a learning curve..weather does not look great in Sunday as well....like I keep saying..hopefully the gold God's will give me even the smallest of pieces to get me a hall pass to do it again....

May have to find ground high up to not be covered by rain...but not too high as to be covered by snow

What to hear a funny, couple of weeks back, came across a nice semi retired couple. He was using a SDC with the new large coil and the wife a Minelab 1000. I had with me 5 small sub grams in a bottle placed on top of ground. Guess what found them, yep 1000. SDC didnt pick it up. Change the settings to 5 and flat out Yep no signal, I then place the bottle down in the ground 5 maybe 6 cms. Both couldnt pick them up. I ran my SDC over it and bang clear as a bell. So meaning of the story, buy a small test nuggetlet from the Ballarat gold shop or eBay for $5 to $10 dollars and test it each time you go for a walk. Ive seen so many people who havent tested their detector and walking for hours only picking up lead, wondering why theres no gold. Because you already walked pass it. Had my say now. Good luck. Mark

Primary reason,
Set your detector up properly first.
And the SDC actually has a second way of this.
It is not in the manual but have a look at it's
sister anti mine counterparts manual.

Makes one hell of a lot of difference.

Tathradj said:
Primary reason,

Thanks Tathradj. Wasnt going to tell all the secrets at once. Getting the basics is the main key. Then learn more about the detector and researching what area your in. Hint But be careful your not in a flight path. The detector goes off every time a plane goes over. I hate it

some inclement weather as well....I have never nearly drowned metal detecting...always a first :lol: :lol:

Tathradj said:
Primary reason,

Interesting tell us more .where do we find such a manual

Mainly do your setup with the coil horizontal of the ground
and set on the green 3.
Don't touch the thresh hold.

Also pick the noisiest direction of interference.

A little bit more to it but that is the general idea.

Great advise guys makes a difference to sdc when setting it up in positions 3 or 4
Cheers

2nd day out nothing..hopefully today is the day...getting more aware of the 5000s settings...bring on the gold :inlove: