Buying gold and concentrates/paydirt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well got a bag of pay dirt that retails for $45
So I guess there are a few different ones out there but this one was from a Nsw retailer
Well to say the least I was not very impressed at all ,
After long and painstakingly panning it as it's very fine & Sandy dirt so I took my time and worked it very thoroughly as not to miss anything ,then saved it all and washed it again ,
1572057085_20191026_133041.jpg

Well 6 or 7 tiny specs and 6 terrible looking gem stones which included 2 already cut pin head size diamonds.
Ah fake ones anyhow as they didn't even register on my diamond tester at all
My conclusion for the whole operation is about $35 in dirt
And around $10 in gold and stones
So what have others experience with thes pay dirts and was it what yo expected or a dismal disappointed like mine

HippyProspecting said:
If your expecting to make your money back when buying pay dirt your going to be disappointed.
Finding a few pretty rocks and a little bit of gold is a win in my books
Yeah your 100% right there but i was expecting just a little mor gold than that ,wouldn't even be .001 of a gram
Oh well i guess it was a little bit of fun and kept me occupied for an hour lol

If you're looking at the $ value then you'd have to weigh the gold and have the gems valued. But is that what you take away from the experience?

How many of us spend thousands on equipment, cars, camping gear, fuel etc for a few weeks in the bush and come away disappointed because we didn't get a good return on our money? I think if that's what you're expecting, you're missing the point.

Wow, that is horrible, the gold is obviously seeded.

I would expect a whole lot more fine gold.
Bloody horrible tossing those party gems in too, I'd expect to see the zircon (or garnet) and maybe the sapphire but the others make it look like a lucky dip from the Sunday markets.

I have around 12 buckets of very good paydirt to run but get distracted knowing I have to set up the recirculating tubs, come grab one lol :goldpan:

Paydirt is generally bought for the fun of it and to better your panning skills.
I've tried some from Golden Spear Mine (I think they're sold out ATM), and is difficult to pan because of the heavy tin in the cons.
It had a reasonable amount of gold, the occasional picker, and certainly tests your panning capabilities!

Same with the 'Bag a Beauty' crap you get around Glen Innes.... Has everything in it that shouldn't be in it... All for the kids and Tourists...
But I have purchased some wash from Billabong Blue and found some nice Sapphires...
Best score was a trailer load of wash from a very productive area on their Property that cost us $120... We scored over 2300ct of Sapphires and Zircons... That wash was from an area that BB are not allowed to mine anymore..

LW....

Before the Auctions were banned on here ' I auctioned a bag of concentrates that had more gold value ( in that dirt ) then the final price reached !

The final winner of that Auction ( and there were many bidders ) gave the stats of his gold return after panning it out ' he was super happy ' as his $ return was higher then his outlay .

I could still be offering those bags for Auction but it's not allowed anymore . :(

jack .

Most of the time there is a 95% profit for the seller

You are only paying for the experience of knowing that there is a very small amount of gold to be panned..

You are better off buying a small amount of gold and putting in some dirt your self....

I did buy a couple of bags of paydirt from a member... But would never buy it again....

Goody

The way I see it is; people are too lazy to go and dig their own paydirt, so they buy a bag from someone they don't even know, or know where the dirt has come from....then have the cheek to "WHINGE" about the amount/lack of gold in it. So;
1: get off your lazy ass and go dig your own dirt.
2: buy it, take the chance of very little/no gold.
3: stop BLAMING everyone else for your laziness.

Geez!
Sorry, rant over.

Gpx5000 said:
The way I see it is; people are too lazy to go and dig their own paydirt, so they buy a bag from someone they don't even know, or know where the dirt has come from....then have the cheek to "WHINGE" about the amount/lack of gold in it. So;
1: get off your lazy ass and go dig your own dirt.
2: buy it, take the chance of very little/no gold.
3: stop BLAMING everyone else for your laziness.

Geez!
Sorry, rant over.

I don't think you can really say this about everyone, some people live too far from the goldfields but love the hobby, some people are dealing with illness or disability.

Some folks are just not as well off as others, maybe they don't have a car or perhaps like a friend of mine can't really afford the price of fuel to travel even semi-long distances right now.

A good mate of mine on the forum, he has all the skill and knowledge, all the equipment, earns a good living, but has basically worked every day since the end of January bar for a few days off last week, when he actually got out and found some gold.

It does not simply come down to laziness.

I get that people sell paydirt as a business and that you are paying for the experience, but some are so damn cheap and nasty. Unless you are buying from someone you know, there is very little chance you are buying unsorted cons. When a seller has the hide to toss in tumbled party gems and cut stones (glass) they should rethink their game. I would expect most sellers to seed some gold because we have all had shit cleanups, I don't like seeing uniform sized gold with no micro specs, surefire way to tell the gravel you are panning probably does not even contain the yellow naturally.

If anyone wants to check out paydirt reviews check out Kleshguitars on Youtube, kinda hard to import paydirt to Aus though. :goldpan:

Latest posts