Advice on Flying / Plane Trips With A Detector + batteries

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This ones for the Deus. I want one for the NOX

_
1562586254_cd42f681-664a-45f2-a4e8-75729ba148b5.jpg

Ward69 said:
indi said:
going buy a equinox 800 i think they have an internal battery so how does that work out? plan is buy the detector in bendigo do a tour then head up to port Macquarie then back this is in October so got a bit of time to plan things
Only way to find out. Ring the airline your travelling with. Then u know I fly to the Philippines. Dont trust any baggage handling staff.

The Digger and I are heading over there next month with PAL and I wouldn't mind taking my coin detector with me for a bit of a swing on some land we have in the province.
Urban legend has it that some one buried their valuables on the land before the Japanese Imperial army took up residence in the area and confiscated everything.
Might be fun to also have the local tongues wagging with me beeping all over the place and thinking I am looking for Yamashita's treasure :lol:

nucopia said:
Ward69 said:
indi said:
going buy a equinox 800 i think they have an internal battery so how does that work out? plan is buy the detector in bendigo do a tour then head up to port Macquarie then back this is in October so got a bit of time to plan things
Only way to find out. Ring the airline your travelling with. Then u know I fly to the Philippines. Dont trust any baggage handling staff.

The Digger and I are heading over there next month with PAL and I wouldn't mind taking my coin detector with me for a bit of a swing on some land we have in the province.
Urban legend has it that some one buried their valuables on the land before the

Japanese Imperial army took up residence in the area and confiscated everything.
Might be fun to also have the local tongues wagging with me beeping all over the place and thinking I am looking for Yamashita's treasure :lol:

I hope to over there early September for another long stay.

We are heading over seas in two weeks Monday. Flying Phil Airlines ..

On Monday I am am driving down to Sydney to send a couple of 30kg boxes via air cargo so they are there when we arrive.
Detector is disassembled and ready to be packed.

Should I pack the detector with the aircargo or am I safe to pack it in my check in luggage when we fly.. ???
i have 25 kg baggage allowence plus 7 kg hand carry ( same with the digger) I will probably only take less than > 5 kg in clothes etc so i will have kilos left over in my bag as well as a bit in the diggers and maybe even the mates bag who is going with us as well.
I also Want to take the drone I bought recently with me , is that best to hand carry or pack in my check in luggage ?
It weighs about 2 kg with 3 batteries and is in its own carry case .. :perfect:
Trying to avoid any problems on the day and plan ahead of the trip.

From a previous post,
8th Jul 2019 09:41 pm
I travel a lot for work, and I'd advise you to buy a hardshell suitcase for it and cut foam to suit.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/foru collapsed/

Take the batteries onboard with your carry on, airlines don't like you packing stuff in your suitcase that's a store of energy. Atleast in the cabin if it starts blowing smoke they can put it out.

Thanks Jaros.
Dont need a hard case but will pack the batteries in my hand carry along with the drone +batteries and the detector broken down and packed in my checked luggage.
I have a :poop: load of stuff to take over and I dont want to get told at check in that something cant fly ;)

We took our equinox 800 over to Ireland in April of this year.
Took it apart and hid in our luggage. They scanned our bag and said all clear. Had no problems what so ever.

Good afternoon PA members.

Heading off on a bit of a trip in the not too distant future and wondering if anyone has any recent experience with flying with a detector.

There are plenty of threads related to this but they are all a bit dated.

Battery is under 100 Wh so all good to take as carry on whether in or out of detector. Will tape up the spare battery that is out. Detector all seperates down to a size that can fit in a back pack.

Will take the detector control unit as carry on and hope to take the shafts as well but there was mention on another thread re: they may not let the shafts be carry on - any experience with this?

Want to take at least 1 coil as carry on also.

I am travelling with QANTAS and I know it would be best to ring them but with the CEO apologising recently for people being on hold for up to 8 hrs I'm just not so keen on that 🤔

Any recent experiences would be good to hear.

Cheers, N.E.

Call them
As above - I am travelling with QANTAS and I know it would be best to ring them but with the CEO apologising recently for people being on hold for up to 8 hrs I'm just not so keen on that 🤔

Lithium batteries could be a problem??
Nope, QANTAS website gives good details on what can and can't be taken as carry on and stowed luggage. My batteries are all good according to their regs 👍

Regardless of what a person on the phone might tell me or the website says, it is the people on the scanners that are the ones that are going to stop me and give me a headache. Hence, why I am asking if anybody has any recent experience of flying with a detector. Was it plain sailing, were their issues, did they listen to reason, were you made to change how things were packed, etc.?

Cheers, N.E.

As above - I am travelling with QANTAS and I know it would be best to ring them but with the CEO apologising recently for people being on hold for up to 8 hrs I'm just not so keen on that 🤔

Nope, QANTAS website gives good details on what can and can't be taken as carry on and stowed luggage. My batteries are all good according to their regs 👍

Regardless of what a person on the phone might tell me or the website says, it is the people on the scanners that are the ones that are going to stop me and give me a headache. Hence, why I am asking if anybody has any recent experience of flying with a detector. Was it plain sailing, were their issues, did they listen to reason, were you made to change how things were packed, etc.?

Cheers, N.E.
Your correct all the phone calls can mean nothing on the day. My experience was a nightmare and was only flying commercial not international.
Very long story but condensed, had made all the phone calls and complied battery wise, but literally came to a halt at baggage check in. Battery carry on fine but detector is oversize so cannot go as carry on. In short got stopped at check in, then at baggage check explaining every time and waiting while they checked and re checked everything again. Finally got to boarding gate early to ensure I could clear once again any issue and young attendant informed me no way could it be taken on. At this point l politely but sternly informed her l wished to speak to the pilot as it was his aircraft and his decision and not hers. Captain came and spoke to me and he allowed me to board first before other passengers and stow detector in special area for over size carry on. The only thing that saved me was l held a pilots licence / air crew ticket and new all the CAR'S so could quote the rules to the plebs. As someone has said despite what is allowed getting thru the many that do not know the rules was the issue. This is supported by others l know that have flown with a detector with no issue at all ? Personally myself probably an SDC is the only detector l would attempt to fly with again. Hope helps your decision and good luck with it all.
As you have said, it is the people manning the scanners and desks that will be your head ache and on a good day you will stroll straight thru and on a bad day become a major drama

Last edited:
Cheers Bogger.

It is not the sort of story that I want to hear but still need to know the good and the bad - and some handy tips that might get me through the gates. I am going to print out Qantas' rules around the batteries, at least that is in black and white.

The end of the detector with the control pod attached to a short section of shaft is 56 cms long and carry-on size limit (length wise) is 54 cms. The end of that bit of shaft literally sticks 2 cm out of the top of my back pack. I am just going to have to hope that they let me through. I think I will also go through the scanners once, before checking my luggage, just in case they make me re-pack stuff. Thankfully my wife is dropping me off and can stand with my luggage whilst I go through the scanner.

Any other stories, suggestions or tips PA members?

North-east you can only hope for the best, one more thing carry specs on your detector that shows battery size . You can only cover all bases best you can, it's then in the hands of ???

specs on your detector that shows battery size
GPX6000, so specs are labelled right on there thankfully. Just had a look today to confirm the size after reading QANTAS website.

Brother in law is now going to get a spare battery for me in Perth so no need to worry about covering the terminals of the spare, etc.

;)