Advice on Flying / Plane Trips With A Detector + batteries

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Steveo
The following is from QANTAS but they are pretty much the same.

Lithium Ion batteries (rechargeable) - not more than 100Wh (The GPZ battery is 72Wh)
No airline approval required & take in carry on luggage
The battery terminals must be protected e.g. taping over the exposed terminals.

For the SDC:
Alkaline and all others
Other batteries can include Nickel Cadmium, Nickel Metal Hydride etc
No airline approval required & take in carry on luggage
The battery terminals must be protected e.g. taping over the exposed terminals.

From Virgin:
Spare/loose batteries (including power banks/packs must be in carry-on baggage onlyand must be protected against short circuit by, placing in its original retail packaging, placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch or insulating terminals by taping over exposed terminals.

Where ya's sneaking off to now buddy :D

Where you taking the old girl? Im off too Hong Kong in two weeks, havent talked to the missus about taking my detector yet, I dont like my chances though :lol:

Heading over to WA matt in about a week for a while just me.. going to footy on weekend at Mudgee might give you a ring we are staying at Gulgong no accommodation at Mudgee.. you working or off

Also be aware if over size / length they may not let you take as carry on luggage. The Z is over size unless broken down . This can depend on how friendly or unfriendly the staff member checking you in is on the day :Y:

Thanks Shauno only going over for a couple of weeks tell you all about it. when we catch up when you're down this way...I will send you some photos :cool:

steveo1 said:
Heading over to WA matt in about a week for a while just me.. going to footy on weekend at Mudgee might give you a ring we are staying at Gulgong no accommodation at Mudgee.. you working or off
It's over 40 degrees most days in the gold fields in WA at the moment. Take a beach umbrella and plenty of water. :sunny:

Yep thanks buddy been watching the weather I know it can get bloody hot over there

steveo1 said:
Got a wedding on Saturday so won't be at the footy worse luck.
I'll give you a ring Friday mate. We'll be in Dubbo on Sunday.

I took an sdc, batteries and charger to the UK, as hand luggage, no worries.
Then leaving the UK, the sdc, batteries and charger had to be checked in because they are shi* scared of terrorists, so had to send the sdc in a separate uninsured bag......it made the trip ok, thankfully.

Just wonder how people travel with their metal detectors on planes do you check them in or take them as hand luggage etc just buying on the mainland and working out how to get home

Hi Indi. Its about the batteries. For a SDC buy the batteries over there and leave them there on the way back. Ive always taken onboard as carry on.

going buy a equinox 800 i think they have an internal battery so how does that work out? plan is buy the detector in bendigo do a tour then head up to port Macquarie then back this is in October so got a bit of time to plan things

Would love a hard case for the NOX. Id take it on my overseas trips. Would be good. Anyone know of any manufacturers?

indi said:
going buy a equinox 800 i think they have an internal battery so how does that work out? plan is buy the detector in bendigo do a tour then head up to port Macquarie then back this is in October so got a bit of time to plan things
Only way to find out. Ring the airline your travelling with. Then u know I fly to the Philippines. Dont trust any baggage handling staff.