Lightning Ridge/Grawin NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syndyne

Shaun Galman
Reaction score
Hi all,

Almost done with another expo for the year. Not a bad turn-out up here.
I took a couple snaps with the iPhone just to show a part of it. Photography wasn't allowed up stairs inside the club where they show the better bits and pieces but it just isn't that spectacular up there. It's been a little disappointing since they stopped showing any decent quality stones. It's mostly boulder opal, Coober Pedy crystal and poor quality Grawin seam these past few years. I haven't even come across a decent fossil in a few years.

Here's just a little of the stalls scattered around the club. I think there's around a hundred or so of them set up each year.
1374909288_opal_expo3.jpg

1374909222_opal_expo2.jpg

This was taken just inside the old beer garden section of the club where they hold indoor stalls. A lot of small gemstones, boulder opal, books and jewelry etc. sold in here. You can definitely kill a few days here if you're interested in this kind of stuff.
1374909198_opal_expo1.jpg

And last but not least (this one's for Paleo) one of the best things at the expo this year... a monster lump of Amethyst (up for sale today, as it wasn't yesterday). The Asian lady had $1280 on it as you can see in the pic, but I said to her; "Would you take $1000?" and she immediately said; "Yes!", possibly a little too quickly. I should've offered $600 or so and she may have taken it? It's not good enough quality for my liking. I have a far better quality specimen, colour-wise than this piece. Impressive to see though. The Geode it came from must have been enormous!

Apologies for the hand. She was a bit of a joker and kept putting it there as I'd try and take a shot :rolleyes:
1374909732_opal_expo4.jpg

Cheers,
Shauno.

Thats one expo/show that would have been good to see :cool:

It would be hard not to spend more than all of your time in there...

Paleoworld-101 said:
Ah thankyou so much for posting this!

That's a huge Amethyst alright! So did you end up buying it or not?

Most welcome!

Nah, not sure what I'd do with a lump this size lol. I'm still trying to save for a prospecting trip into Victoria in September so I had to walk away this time. Rather dig a good nugget or two! :D

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

goldDigger said:
when does it run too ?

Finishes up today goldDigger.

Normally starts around the last Thursday in July each year and runs across the next four days. It was based around our old Opal Festival that ran through the 80's and early 90's.

Cheers,
Shauno.

drat if i had a bit more notice i would have liked to of turned up been out there once for a holiday i quite enjoyed it even bought myself an opal while i was there i must have put it in a safe place as i dunno where it is now lol

goldDigger said:
drat if i had a bit more notice i would have liked to of turned up been out there once for a holiday i quite enjoyed it even bought myself an opal while i was there i must have put it in a safe place as i dunno where it is now lol

Ahh, never mind. There's always next year. :)

I posted it in the Events section on here several weeks back just to give everyone a little notice as accommodation can be scarce with the amount of tourists we get here now.

Hope that opal turns up again! It's easy to hide stuff and forget where it went. Happens to the best of us.

If you make it up this way again feel free to sing out.

All the best,
Shauno.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd put up a reminder that our local Opal Festival as it's only a few weeks away once again. It's a good excuse to escape the cold weather for a few days at the very least ;)

It runs across the days starting 27th July through to 3rd August. Accommodation can be hard to secure but, we have many options that include four good sized caravan parks, five motels and a few B & B style places around town.

From the site linked below: Jewellers, buyers, wholesalers, miners, rock hounds, lapidary enthusiasts and tourists are invited to experience the best Lightning Ridge has to offer with this culmination of information, spectacular jewellery, collectables and the odd great deal.

The Opal & Gem Expo boasts over 120 stalls with a huge range of products including gemstones, tools, lapidary supplies, food and lifestyle products.

All events and dates here: http://www.lightningridgeopalfestival.com.au/Program/

I'll have a large lightning photography display on at the Bowling Club during the event also, so keep an eye out for that if you visit.

Don't forget the hot Artesian Bore Baths at the end of Pandora St. (opposite the Opal Caravan Park), should you'd like to have a swim throughout the day or just relax under the stars in the evenings.

Cheers,
Shauno.

We stayed at the Opal van park recently, what a great place.
Lightening Ridge and surrounds are really interesting and worth a visit.
Went down the Black Hand mine which is carved with all sorts of stuff, even met the artist.
The stars are fabulous out there, take your telescope.

Barry

Anyone heading out to Lightning Ridge this weekend (27-30 July) for the Opal Festival? If so we might see you there. Have been to the Ridge before but not sure what to expect of the Festival. Looking forward to cooking myself in the baths again.

Lovers of opal can get their fix next month in Lightning Ridge. Come along to look at opal, learn it's geology and how it is mined.

The Opal festival runs from 25th to the 28th of July. The Opal & Gem Expo boasts over 150 stalls with a huge range of products including gemstones, tools, lapidary supplies and lifestyle products.

The Opal Symposium runs from the 22nd to the 24th of July and bring together miners, government and academics from all over Australia. Registration is required.

I can't post links yet, do a search for more information.

Gday all. I'm thinking of heading to lightning ridge in a couple of weeks. I'd like to take my 80 year old parents. Would they go ok trying for opal or would the digging be too hard. I've always hunted gold with my wife and we'd like to have a go at opal just to see. Also is there a realistic chance of finding some as from what I've read in post here it's not too promising in any public areas. Thanks in advance
Andy

crikey its great that they are up to getting out there for a go!!!
Maybe take them out for a bit of night time noodling with a UV Black light and see how that goes.
Would be a bit of fun and you never know !

GT :) :Y:

Thanks goldtruck. I have a couple of blacklights so that sounds like a plan. The old boy thinks hes only 60 and always keen to have a go.
Are there plenty of places to go noodling without getting shot at?

The Opal Festival is on from 24-27th July, pirateandy.
Check availability for accommodation at that time at Lightning Ridge - it gets very busy then!

Cheers,
Megsy

Black light doesn't work on Lightning Ridge opal, leave the light at home.

Best place to spec for opal are the Grawin, Glengarry and Sheepyard fields, 80 km west of the Ridge. Beside the road there are a couple of large communal opal dirt dumps where there is a chance to find seam opal, they don't wash dirt like the Ridge. If you look on Google earth there a couple more around.

There are also 3 great pubs that are worth checking out.

Hi everyone, I'm taking my daughter for a trip up to Lightning/Ridge Grawin area in a couple of weeks.

She is definitely not scared to get her hands dirty & loves fossicking for gemstones, detecting for gold etc.

Neither of us have ever really had a go at looking for opals but are keen to learn & experience what's involved.

Has anyone got any tips or advice on what where or what we should be looking for when noodling, what equipment we should be taking & where we should be camping. We have an off road camper trailer & are fully self contained.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Bullwinkle

We visited yowah recently when it was a bit cooler because they had a public fossicking area/caravan park/and free camping in town.
When I tried some research about the ridge only mine dumps seemed to be the go. I will go to the ridge next year for some fun so your feedback will be appreciated.
Hopefully some members out that way can put more light on it.

Latest posts