River / Stream Sluices - advice, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is looking at New!
Why not look back at what was used before pumps became the norm
Go back and look at the old Fred Sims Sluice. Very popular, very compact and easy to carry and best of all, They WORKED

Cheers CB

Creekbed said:
Everyone is looking at New!
Why not look back at what was used before pumps became the norm
Go back and look at the old Fred Sims Sluice. Very popular, very compact and easy to carry and best of all, They WORKED

Cheers CB
Kool, got any links info?
Remember the old cradle worked well in their days too.
But who really uses an old steel pan?
A few still will.
But this thread was about high banker people that have been forced to find the next best thing.
There will always be room for improvement on any sluice or high banker.
Show me any model, and I will always be able to find an improvement.
Thats why we are here....finc better ways..
. silly not to accept improvements
I remember out door carpet and bar mats where the ants pants!
Obsolete now hey

Westy said:
Ive just finished putting together my 12" Outback pioneer series highbanker. Cant recommend the Gold Rat products any higher. The workmanship is second to none, a lot of design and research has gone into the sluices & the dream mat seems to work perfectly with them.
As soon as my broken leg heals ill be back out in the hills with my new banker. Cant wait!

Hey Westy how did that leg heal up mate?

Leg is all good, thanks for asking.
I have been out heaps with the goldrat banker. Love it! Catches even the smallest gold. I modified the spray bars and made a clay claw to hold material back. Ill find a photo :power:

1562196352_screenshot_20190704-092338_gallery.jpg

Westy said:
Ive just finished putting together my 12" Outback pioneer series highbanker. Cant recommend the Gold Rat products any higher. The workmanship is second to none, a lot of design and research has gone into the sluices & the dream mat seems to work perfectly with them.
As soon as my broken leg heals ill be back out in the hills with my new banker. Cant wait!
Yeah a plaster cast and playing in water dont mix that well!
Unless your got a fibreglass cast! Then you would just be milking an excuse! :lol:

I only this week got myself a Gold Rat 888 (with the classifier add-on) and planning on hitting Gympie which is the only place I've found yet with running water.. Warwick is DRY :)

Anyway what drop rate have you all found to be the best?

I have one I made out of wood - miners moss & aluminium mesh, one I purchased with dream/vortex matting & a homemade recirculating sluice that is also made from wood with ribbed matting & al mesh great for fine gold/cleanups.
All three will collect gold, but each has their own perks (flow of river, weight, cheap to make etc.)
The vortex mat is very good though, I recommend it :Y:

I bought a new River Sluice with the new dream matting on it, but it's covered in some oily substance and from what I know about gold it won't stick the matting very well with oil on the matting, I would of thought. How would I remove this oily substance before taking on a prospecting trip this March please? :pickshovel:

Nah just chuck it in the bathtub with some soap and give it a scrub, its just from the manufacturing process. Dustin normally chucks a care/info sheet in with his goods.
Funny I was working some ultra fine flour gold after grabbing a new sluice one time and the residue actually seemed to make it stick to the mat.
It will mostly come off with a scrub and even more once some pay has rolled down it :Y:

Yeah, NEVER use any harsh solvents, degreaser etc on it.
Even a few minutes of use should remove it anyhow I think.
I can't imagine it affecting performance even it permanently stuck to it!
What ever it is made of, it handles UV and wear exceptionally well. :perfect:

Warm soap and water is your friend. :Y: :Y:

The oil is a release agent like when you
grease a cake tin to release the cakes when you
bake it. :)

Like caking a bake. :perfect: :perfect:

Latest posts