Newbie to Reedy creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hangry for gold said:
yeah mate im going there on the 5/7/19 for 3 nights no 4wd though got pans equinox 800 hopefully will find something anybody know where to search kinda a newbie so need some help

You wont need a 4wd through there.

SWright said:
G'Day all

I met a local old timer that has been working the creek every day on and off for ten or twenty years. That was well and truely worth it. He brought over a small finishing pan covered to about 2 or 3 mil with gold totalling around an ounce. I asked how long did it take to get all that from Reedy and he told me, after a little thought, "most of last Thursday". He did not tell me where his spot was.

Araluen

The old timer wouldn't have been a TV repair man (when TVs were repairable) if so he has done extremely well over the years and used to have a LARGE vegimite jar of gold from the creek (Must have weighed well over 1Kg). Must have been 40 years ago. He wasn't keen on disclosure back then either. Ken

Hi Parko, wondering if you can tell me more about the area in tbe Warby Ranges? Are other minerals able to be found other than Wavelite? Katie (ps first post and a total newbie)

G'day Katie welcome to PA :Y: I can't help you and I doubt Parko will either, Parko's last post was in 2017 his/her last login was 2018. In saying that there is a slim chance Parko might revisit and reply. Either way I'm sure someone will offer their opinions knowledge of the location you question relates to. Best of luck when you get in the field and have a scratch :beer:

Katie said:
Hi Parko, wondering if you can tell me more about the area in tbe Warby Ranges? Are other minerals able to be found other than Wavelite? Katie (ps first post and a total newbie)

Isn't it mostly a park? Yes, fluorite and a few other things.

Dingoman, a lot of the black sand there is cassiterite (tin oxide). The gold always seems fine, I think because it was all derived from reefs at Beechworth and south of there, so there is no replenishment along the watercourses once you are on the granite, and it gets finer with distance. However there is tin in the granite (Mt Pilot Batholith) so it keeps adding to the drainage downstream.
1603191723_beechworth.jpg

The thing that is messing with my head Goldierocks with regard to contact zones, is that I now understand thanks to your tutelage and further reading, that granite came much later than Victoria's gold deposits. And yet, I still struggle with trying to understand why it is that gold is so often associated with granite?

Did they share the same geological faults but at different times? I notice with areas such as Tarnagulla, Kingower, Rheola, Longbush, and Moliagul, that they all sit around a circular area that on a map of the pre-permian geology of the areas shows a huge granite deposit. Even the veins around these areas seem to be all compressed and deformed from their straight lines as though they have been pushed aside by the huge granite intrusion and bunched up together. Does this then mean that areas above these pre-permian granite intrusions would be barren of gold?

Whoops! Just realized I had typed Pre-Cambrian in my last sentence :awful: I meant to type Pre-Permian again! :8

Latest posts