Comfort items to help your travels

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ded Driver

WA is my backyard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just posted this over in Damit's Epic trip for people who have back problems
I have fairly severe back injuries with L4/L5 Lumbar vertebrae crush fractures (coz I treat my body like I stole it :playful: )
Thought this might make an interesting & informative thread for people to post stuff that helps your comfort when travelling (any distance)
1561376882_backcushion.jpg

I currently have a smashed up right shoulder so I have a good ol pillow I stuff between my hip/leg & the door to rest my right arm on while travelling .... helps minimise the bumps & jolts on it, & support the weight of my arm off my shoulder.
Nearly ready to go swinging again (I don't believe doctors all that much) :p

I have a fractured T7 and damaged lumbar discs so long distances can be tough, when I had the Patrol I fitted a good quality bucket seat, wow what a difference.

It stopped a lot of the lateral movement and supported all the areas that needed support, just holds the body really stable. Looking to fit the same thing in the 6x6 before we hit the road seriously. The only problem with bucket seats is getting in and out, they need additional covering on the bottom right ridge.

Good post DD.

The main problem is that car seats don't have good lumbar support, which causes this problem a lot of the time.
Even people without damaged back/spinal injuries can suffer on long trips because their car seat is poorly designed without lumbar support.

Driving home from Hill End in a brand new Hilux, it felt like I had a red hot needle poking into my lower spine - it was horrible!
I ended up getting my pillow and putting it behind my back, and it went away! I just wish I'd worked that out a lot sooner...

I must look into getting one of these!

Cheers,
Megsy

yeah Megsy, these air cushion lumbar supports are good. The factory adjustable lumbar support in the seat of my old Pajero has lost its tension so doesn't really work well anymore, although even without the air cushion I find the Pajero seats really good on long trips .. better than most sedans ive travelled in.
NOTE, MSA Products website is now https://msa4x4.com.au/

As this company is based in QLD, I guess a lot of QLD'ers already know of them, but here in WA I have seen a handful of Patrol's with them on the windows (weird how I haven't seen them on other vehicles), but have only just tracked down who is making them;
Solarscreen window insulation/sun shade
http://www.solarscreen.com.au/

Latest posts