Sluice in Slaty Creek during winter

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

just wondering how people go with Sluicing in Slaty creek at creswick during winter is there enough flow to run a small 6" Gold rat Sluice
thinking of putting the detector away for a bit and giving it a crack just wondering if its worth the effort or just stick to panning.

Thanks

I called in there several weeks ago and it was absolutely bone dry at camp three. I've been waiting for rain ever since I arrived here in Vic in early Feb ... and still waiting! Good thing I brought my detector with me.

I think you may be waiting some time it's been very dry since xmas. All the dams and streams around there and Daylesford are dry as well.
cheers db

Thanks I was there last week and saw it was dry just thinking ahead to winter when it flows I ended up buying a sluice anyway.

There are some hardy souls who do sluice and pan in winter. After all that is usually when Slaty Creek is flowing. Some snow near Creswick and Ballarat yesterday and expected icy blast and more snow tomorrow. Slaty is trickling when I was out there yesterday. I expect it will be flowing a bit more strongly after the rain this week and the water comes down from the catchment and gullies higher up.

stevenj48 said:
Thanks I was there last week and saw it was dry just thinking ahead to winter when it flows I ended up buying a sluice anyway.

With the rain we've had, I would say you would be in luck in a few days

do you guys use anything to stop your fingers falling off when you play in the water in winter ?

thinking like a blowtorch or something ? :fire:

Walking around in kneedeep water in winter isn`t that bad. Keep some gloves on and a warm beanie ,rug up and you don`t feel it too much .

We work the creeks hard with plenty of manual labour digging , classifying and feeding the pan or sluice ,so the key to staying warm in the water in winter is to keep moving.

FOZ

I have been going out nearly each weekend with a new member on the forum and we picked a pretty cool day last time. My feet were cramping up a bit inside my gumboots, still dry mind you, from being in the water too much.
I contemplated a fire a few times to warm the hands, but said to my new mate, knowing my luck Id end up going arse over in it.
Towards the end of the day sure enough, whacked my head on a log and ended up on my hands and knees in the creek. Enough water to drench my boots and soak the front of me through past the thermals, needless to say that was my day done :Y:

My last outing, just before this cold snap, I got to the spot we have been working and the entire creek was still iced over at 9am. Enough to slide rocks across it like it was an ice rink :argh:

Coupla spoons of concrete! Nah, like FOZ said, keep moving, thick gloves and 2 pairs of socks, plus an extra one for other areas!

Latest posts