Minelab Battery pack replacement

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks jon_m.... yeah unlike the OEM batteries which have thermal sensors to disrupt the charge cycle when complete or too hot operating Temps, the LiPo's don't.

I try not to leave batteries on o/night as a rule, but sometimes it does/can happen, and this itself can be the "one" instance where LiPo's can become unstable and a chemical reaction ensue. They just take more management than i care for, others may feel differently.

As i also noted, the purpose for these batteries by design, are for a constant short-term release of power, unlike the requirements of our detectors, but hey, each to their own and for those who wish to use them, i wish them well.

Their just not for me in this application, especially when the current 45/5000 batteries with the dual amps are easily replaceable by unplugging the old one and plugging in a new one...... all for a similar cost and without the requirement of a different charger (even though i do have the correct one anyway) and concern for battery health (read QC).

Cheers

Redfin can i ask how much you were charged to repack your battery. I am thinking maybe mine may require some attention soon and i would prefer not to have to pay $400 for a new one.

Hi guys what are your thoughts if I run 7.4v through a 5000
Thinking about wirering one of these up . The battery also charges back up through a usb. So pretty handy.

1545870523_screenshot_20181227-112532_ebay.jpg

similar 7.4 volt batteries have worked perfectly well but when a chinese battery supplier says "7400 mAh" what you get is probably 5800 mAh

allow for the bullsheet factor with anything from china and of course when they say 12 months warranty it means they laugh at you for 12 months if you try to make a warranty claim.

Hi mate yeah they spin crarp like nothing else. Back in the day I use to own a Sony handycam with the larger battery. I've been trying to find a genuine Sony one but not having much luck.

This will be my back up battery and I'm thinking of charging via solar.

I recently spent several hours getting to a detecting spot in WA only to realize my battery was flat. I nearly freaked as you could imagine. It was good ground too.
when I got home I ordered another for my GPX from the guy at minelab in charters towers I think he said. Bought it on Ebay for 300 bucks ouch!!
I wont run out again I hope now with 2 batteries for my 5000.
sometimes we have brain fades and to have a spare is the way to go.

GT :)

GypsyGoldAu said:
Thanks jon_m.... yeah unlike the OEM batteries which have thermal sensors to disrupt the charge cycle when complete or too hot operating Temps, the LiPo's don't.

I try not to leave batteries on o/night as a rule, but sometimes it does/can happen, and this itself can be the "one" instance where LiPo's can become unstable and a chemical reaction ensue. They just take more management than i care for, others may feel differently.

As i also noted, the purpose for these batteries by design, are for a constant short-term release of power, unlike the requirements of our detectors, but hey, each to their own and for those who wish to use them, i wish them well.

Their just not for me in this application, especially when the current 45/5000 batteries with the dual amps are easily replaceable by unplugging the old one and plugging in a new one...... all for a similar cost and without the requirement of a different charger (even though i do have the correct one anyway) and concern for battery health (read QC).

Cheers

Interesting info re Li-Po batteries and packs - - I have a WM12 thats charging weird - keeps flashing after being on an hour or more and light doesn't go
off as it did initially - GPZ shows WM12 battery fully charged

I opened up WM12 as have correct tool and found a Li-Po battery with connector for replacement - so could it be a 5 x 3.2 cm 1000 mah unit?
Instruction Brochure says this battery is Li-Ion - Thanks

1561724458_wm12_inside.jpg

Hi Marcus,

To replace the cell in the WM12 module, just find another cell of the same measurements. The capacity will be close enough.

I would suggest re-using the protection circuit from the original cell, but that is your choice.

Li-ion and Li-po are exactly the same chemistry. The only difference is the Li-ion we know is generally in a metal can (18650 cells) whereas what is called li-po is just li-ion in a mylar satchel and can be manufactured in many different sizes.
The power to weight/size of a li-po is better because it is not housed in a metal can and more energy can be fit into a space with rectangular cells vs round cells.
For this reason, idiots use li-po in high discharge devices, work them to and beyond their maximum ratings and then when they are flat, charge them at maximum ratings and beyond whilst still hot from discharge and cause what we all know as li-po fires. If the power to weight/space ratio was just as good for li-ion cells we would read about li-ion fires too.
One thing that is really important is to use li-po packs that have a suitable protection circuit installed to prevent over current, over charge, over discharge states and protect the cells. Most li-po packs you see for sale don't have any sort of protection at all.

Cheers Mick

Thanks Mick - I used to rebuild my R/C packs in the days of NiCd and saw all the issues with high performance
electrics and electric helicopters before drones made it easy.
Dont all LiPo have protect circuitry - and i gathered dimensions are related to output.

I think the WM12 battery is fine as only 30 months old and not cycled much - i guess im not used to the charger
and if it flashes when on charge and that the WM12 always flashes showing its charging but the GPZ panel shows
it has 100% charge.

Other question is the GPZ pack looks to have 4 18650 cells and is easily opened also - has anyone re done these yet??

Cheers Mark

MarcusAureas said:
Thanks Mick - I used to rebuild my R/C packs in the days of NiCd and saw all the issues with high performance
electrics and electric helicopters before drones made it easy.
Dont all LiPo have protect circuitry - and i gathered dimensions are related to output.

I think the WM12 battery is fine as only 30 months old and not cycled much - i guess im not used to the charger
and if it flashes when on charge and that the WM12 always flashes showing its charging but the GPZ panel shows
it has 100% charge.

Other question is the GPZ pack looks to have 4 18650 cells and is easily opened also - has anyone re done these yet??

Cheers Mark

Most li-po that are intended for use in Rc cars etc don't have any sort of protection circuit. The protection is left up to the charger and the device it is used in.
If the packs are built specifically for use with electronics then they might have a protection circuit built in.

To test the one in your wm12, just check the voltage. If it reads about 4.2v then it is full, if it drops to 3.5v fairly quickly then it is done for, otherwise it is probably fine.

I haven't done any gpz packs yet and I haven't heard of anyone needing one done yet either.

Cheers Mick

A few years back I managed to pick up a very cheap dead GPX-4500 battery. Thought there was nothing to lose trying to repack with new set of batteries.
Bought a set from eBay with tabs and an hour or so later had a working spare battery.
Just found these old photos, before & after shots.

Before:
1580343815_gpx_before.jpg

After:
1580343841_gpx_after.jpg

I stopped using my rechargeable battery for my 3030, I just buy batteries now. Lasts a lot better and seems more stable.

In trashy areas my rechargeable battery would last about 4-5 hours at most. A month after buying my 3030 the rechargeable battery started going down real quick. Even when brand new I felt the rechargeable 3030 battery life was pretty average.

Now I just buy a couple Eveready gold AA 20 packs, 8 batteries normally last about 12-14 hours under same trashy conditions.

Digger58 said:
Martin, depending on your usage you will find quality rechargeables will work out cheaper in the long run. :)

I don't mind spending $30 here and there for 40 batteries, can reload the 3030 battery holder 5 times and get a good amount of time out of it :D

I have too many things to recharge as it is nowadays.

I agree with you both actually. I tried many rechargeable AA and found them really lacking, then switched back to a particular Energizer that regularly comes on sale.

Later I discovered an excellent youtube hack for LI ion AA and get much more stable runtime and power delivery from 2 sets( 4AA x 2 sets) from a Transfer station. The rest of the 30 odd I recovered I use in remotes etc at home. The most modern AA are pretty darn good.

Now I just keep regular ones for times when I forget to charge which is usually once a week.

Latest posts