All Terrain Tyres

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
Rockhunter62 said:
"Tried and Tested" Ridge Runner.

Doesn't mean they passed though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Doug

Well if you watch that Video by Ronny Dahl you will hear him State that he has bought 3 Sets of Toyo Open Country Tyres in a Row, Being one of Australia's Top 4wd Adventurers I think he would know a bit more than Guys who just want to make a Career out of discrediting my Posts, Having worked in the Tyre Industry along side a major motoring Manufacturer I do have a little understanding about the subject.

Never heard of him John, had to google to find out. I guess the young fellow should know but he's not the only one out there who has gone bush. I think I'd listen to people like madtuna first about what tyres to use in the outback and he does go offroad.

Cheers

Doug

LOL, If any one made tyres that good they would soon go out of business through lack of sales.

All the brands mentioned have their strong points, The only down side to BFG is the cost, I bought a set of their first M/T's and they were shot in 15,000K's but since then they have made them a lot more durable but even the ones I bought were great off road and in mud they had no loss of steering as with other brands at the time,, If money is no object then BFG's get my Vote but if a person needs to keep it respectable then I would pick the Toyo's.

Rockhunter62 said:
Ridge Runner said:
Rockhunter62 said:
"Tried and Tested" Ridge Runner.

Doesn't mean they passed though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Doug

Well if you watch that Video by Ronny Dahl you will hear him State that he has bought 3 Sets of Toyo Open Country Tyres in a Row, Being one of Australia's Top 4wd Adventurers I think he would know a bit more than Guys who just want to make a Career out of discrediting my Posts, Having worked in the Tyre Industry along side a major motoring Manufacturer I do have a little understanding about the subject.

Never heard of him John, had to google to find out. I guess the young fellow should know but he's not the only one out there who has gone bush. I think I'd listen to people like madtuna first about what tyres to use in the outback and he does go offroad.

Cheers

Doug

I can't remember who it was but someone here posted just about the best Aussie Bush Tyres I have ever seen, If I had access to them I would of bought those,

Nah Dougie....I just love taking the plss out of inspector gadget. No tyre expert but I do know what work here where I am and what doesnt.
RR does need a decent set of tyres for his truck to cart about his 20 thermoses, 15 winches, 12 fridges, all the thermostats and multi meters and bazillion tyre pressure gauges. :Y:

P.s. is the plural of thermos thermoses or thermi? :D

RR sorry for taking the plss mate...dougie is sitting at the table next to me and we are just bouncing dribble and shite off each other having a laugh.....blame him!

Thanks guys definitely food for thought and more research to be done still leaning towards the toyos but just a bit disappointed they don't make the Kos anymore and in a few reviews I've read on the ko2s ,but they are the best looking of the lot ,but it's going to come down to price and durability. Also hilarious Doug but I'll keep the Nissan in case anyone needs a tow :playful: :beer:

madtuna said:
RR sorry for taking the plss mate...dougie is sitting at the table next to me and we are just bouncing dribble and shite off each other having a laugh.....blame him!

That's alright mate, what else can we get up too on a quiet Friday night, I learned to laugh at my self long before I laughed at others, It's all good mate, :Y:

Had a good yarn with a telstra tech in Alice about 5 weeks ago and he swears by these tyres. I have no idea of the cost and only made in one size 235/85R 16LT recons they will go anywhere. I have an ex telstra nissan patrol and thats what started the conversation. I will look at them when I need tyres again

Tyres / Dueler / Range / Bridgestone Dueler A/S 661
Bridgestone Dueler A/S 661
The Desert Dueler A/S 661 tyre offers the ultimate in toughness and performance in all seasons and all terrains from sand and mud to rocky hillsides and the highway. Engineered with special water resistant compounds, this is a tyre thats made to last.

I think you guys will find what Madtuna is referring to, mostly in outback WA, the biggest issue in tyres is being staked in the side wall by Mulga stumps. just about no regular radial A/T on the market can deal with this.
put a stake thru the tread area, no big prob, just put a plug in it (if its not too big), rip a 2" or 3" tear in the sidewall on a Mulga stake & your tyre is stuffed.
There are a couple of tyres on the market that deal with them better than most.
cant remember the brand names off the top of my head

Redfin said:
7.62marksman said:
I run Hankook Dynapro ATM on mine at about $140.00 each
Done just under 70k still have about 60% tread left
They have taken me into some areas a billy goat wont go :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good in wet and mud however never been on the beach yet not allowed where i am :mad: :mad:

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/hankook-dynapro-atm

They get a decent review too m8.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/232/1561708766_capture.jpg

I had hankook dynapro MT muddies and loved them for awesome all weather stickiness but when I had to replace them recently the buggers had no stock in the country , seems they were so popular they just had none available .

Jax tyres told me that hankook ATs are the exact same compound so I got a set of them but I call crapppa, I swear they dont stick as well as the mud tyres , I say definitely a different rubber compound but I cant give them back.

Next time I need tyres I will order the same Muddies a month or two before I need them.

Comparing tyres is a tough ask , its not just grip thats critical but also durability , and very few tyre comparisons cover all tyres and all factors ...

Ded Driver said:
I think you guys will find what Madtuna is referring to, mostly in outback WA, the biggest issue in tyres is being staked in the side wall by Mulga stumps. just about no regular radial A/T on the market can deal with this.
put a stake thru the tread area, no big prob, just put a plug in it (if its not too big), rip a 2" or 3" tear in the sidewall on a Mulga stake & your tyre is stuffed.
There are a couple of tyres on the market that deal with them better than most.
cant remember the brand names off the top of my head
My tyres are great for here but not practical for general use. Absolute crap on bitumen, useless in mud but then in the mud here you just dont drive anyway even with the best of mud tyres on.
There are many more better suited for everyday general purpose.

I put these tyres on back in August and am still waiting for the back pair to cop a puncture so I can swap them over to my new split rims.
We have superlugs here over 5 years old with zero tread left, they are slicks but we still run around on them daily in some of the rockiest mulga infested crap out there.

Two sets of wheels is ideal, but also not practical for everybody, but it works for us.
If I need to go to Perth or Kal I just pick the ute up with the fork lift, wiz off the wheels and throw on a set of road wheels.

For serious Mud I like these INSA Turbo's which are a copy of the Simex Mud Tyre's, these bad boys have about 20 to 22mm of tread on them, they as close to a tractor tyre you can get while keeping things road legal, and they are cheap too But I am having trouble Inventing a good enough reason to buy them, LOL :heart: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

1561735113_insa_turbo_special_track.jpg

7.62marksman said:
I run Hankook Dynapro ATM on mine at about $140.00 each
Done just under 70k still have about 60% tread left
They have taken me into some areas a billy goat wont go :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good in wet and mud however never been on the beach yet not allowed where i am :mad: :mad:

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/hankook-dynapro-atm

I run these as well and have just clocked 50k on them. There is no way they will get anywhere near another 50k on them. I reckon another 20k if I'm lucky.
I've been to some pretty remote areas and some very rough tracks.
Not saying I wouldn't get them again. Just can't see how anyone is getting close to 100k on them.

1561830705_20180131_074358_1.jpg

1561830706_20180130_180107.jpg

Hi Booney, I went through a similar thing looking for good AT's when I bought my LC100 in 2017, I'd read that the BF K02 weren't as good as the original K0 but ended up buying a set in the end, glad I did mate. Great on road grip with no noise, great on the tracks where we prospect, I dont even both dropping pressure on the rough stuff as they grip well and never suffered slipping on bog holes yet, not that I do much off road, just when I get out prospecting so you'd have a good idea of use.
I love them and think they are worth every cent.

Latest posts